Got a mac, finally...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rastalin94, Jun 28, 2002.

1. rastalin94 macrumors member

Jan 9, 2002
    Well I just got a new job doing Windows 2000 consultanting, and they gave me an old iBook for a laptop. After months of wanting I finally have an OS X machine to play with, be it a very limited one, but at least I got my hands on something.

After getting OS X installed, and doing some basic stuff, I have realized I have no idea what I am doing and was wondering if you guys could point out some basics, and reccomand any good books to get my self going on OS X, and I would like to begin to learn some Applescripting.

Its feels strange using an OS for which I have no idea what the hell I am doing, and at the same time I have not felt this giddy in years!!!!
  2. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2002
    The Netherlands
  3. coolocity macrumors regular

Jun 24, 2002
    Central New York
    hehe, leave it to apple to come up with a cute tutorial. i heart bob the folder.
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Sort of interesting that they would hand out an iBook to a Windows 2000 consultant...
  5. rastalin94 thread starter macrumors member

Jan 9, 2002
    The job I got is with a rather cool company. They do a lot of ISP stuff for appartments in 16 states that is all linux based for registering tenants computers, and doing bandwidth limiting. All those guys use OS X boxes. They are expanding into doing consulting and needed a little extra help, hence I was hired. First day on the job they gave me five computers to build a lab and play around with. If the oppurtunity comes up they will likely start doing some OS X networking stuff which I would be more than happy to do for them :)
  6. Beej macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2002
    Buffy's bedroom
    If you can get a hold of the booklet that comes with Mac OS X, that's the best place to start. It's really easy to understand and goes through a lot of the basics.
  7. 8thDegreeSavage macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2002
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Jesus christ dudes..the guy doesnt want "OSX for dummies".

Dude one book i will suggest which is a great read and will go over it ALL and it has almost everything in it

The Missing Manual : Mac OSX
  8. SilvorX macrumors 68000

May 24, 2002
    'Toba, Canada
    congratz on getting a mac :D, i still havent gotten one yet :( but i'm still planning on getting one near the end of summer
  9. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    wait until the macworld conference this month and see what apple offers that may be new

once you switch to mac, then you will never want to go back
  10. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia