Got a Macbook! Question on external speakers?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greenparty, Jan 24, 2007.

1. greenparty macrumors newbie

Hi

I just got my brand spanking new macbook with 1gb of RAM and 2 ghz c2d!
    My first impressions so far are great in every way!
    The speakers, however, are a little tinny and quiet for my tastes and I was wondering is it worth hooking up a set of external ones for home use.
    Will this make the sound quality better?
    Will it make it louder?
    What's the best set I can get for around 50-60 euro?

Thanks!

Also, if anyone has any tips I might find useful for my new macbook, it's my first mac!

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

congrats on your new macbook - most cheaper speakers will plug in to it via 3.5" jack - i used to use a cheap 5.1 sound unit i used to have plugged into my tele long ago , but i only plug in the left+right and sub and it sounds ok

tip for your macbook -- Enjoy it :D and don't drop it :rolleyes:

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Any good 2.1 or 5.1 sound system will sound better than the built in speakers. I use decent over-ear headphones because I HATE the builtins. I travel with earbuds.

4. toddster63 macrumors newbie

toddster63

If you plan on playing music (iTunes) and have a home stereo reciever and speakers, look into Apple's Airport Express unit--it connects to your reciever and allows you to wirelessly stream music to your stereo from iTunes on your MacBook--works great! I love it. In combination with Limewire, I'll never BUY another CD (or any music) again!

You also get with the Express unit a WIFI internet connection and a USB port for wireless printing.

If you don't have a home stereo reciever, and just want some speakers for your MacBook, check this out:
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=D0CFE4FD&nplm=T9078LL/A

Expensive, yes, but the subwoofer unit provides incredible bass. This unit is worth the money and sounds really, really nice...!

Congrats and welcome to Mac...!

5. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I've got a set of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 and they sound really nice.

The SoundSticks are really nice too, old roommate had a pair of them. I like the Klipsch ones a bit better though :D

6. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

If you want portability and don't want to deal with a power cord, I have been very happy with these:

http://www.alteclansing.com/product_details.asp?pID=XT1

They sound really nice and the carrying case is hard sided and of nice quality.

I got them fairly cheap at buy.com with an additional $10 discount using Google checkout.