Got a Macbook! Question on external speakers?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greenparty, Jan 24, 2007.

1. greenparty macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2007

I just got my brand spanking new macbook with 1gb of RAM and 2 ghz c2d!
    My first impressions so far are great in every way!
    The speakers, however, are a little tinny and quiet for my tastes and I was wondering is it worth hooking up a set of external ones for home use.
    Will this make the sound quality better?
    Will it make it louder?
    What's the best set I can get for around 50-60 euro?

Also, if anyone has any tips I might find useful for my new macbook, it's my first mac!
  2. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    congrats on your new macbook - most cheaper speakers will plug in to it via 3.5" jack - i used to use a cheap 5.1 sound unit i used to have plugged into my tele long ago , but i only plug in the left+right and sub and it sounds ok

tip for your macbook -- Enjoy it :D and don't drop it :rolleyes:
  3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

Sep 7, 2006
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    Any good 2.1 or 5.1 sound system will sound better than the built in speakers. I use decent over-ear headphones because I HATE the builtins. I travel with earbuds.
  4. toddster63 macrumors newbie

Dec 31, 2006
    Sunny California Coast
    If you plan on playing music (iTunes) and have a home stereo reciever and speakers, look into Apple's Airport Express unit--it connects to your reciever and allows you to wirelessly stream music to your stereo from iTunes on your MacBook--works great! I love it. In combination with Limewire, I'll never BUY another CD (or any music) again!

You also get with the Express unit a WIFI internet connection and a USB port for wireless printing.

If you don't have a home stereo reciever, and just want some speakers for your MacBook, check this out:

Expensive, yes, but the subwoofer unit provides incredible bass. This unit is worth the money and sounds really, really nice...!

Congrats and welcome to Mac...!
  5. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    I've got a set of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 and they sound really nice.

The SoundSticks are really nice too, old roommate had a pair of them. I like the Klipsch ones a bit better though :D
  6. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

Nov 15, 2006
    If you want portability and don't want to deal with a power cord, I have been very happy with these:

They sound really nice and the carrying case is hard sided and of nice quality.

I got them fairly cheap at with an additional $10 discount using Google checkout.