Got a new gun today...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacAztec, May 22, 2005.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Well, its not really new. My Dad gave me his old .22 Calibre Remington MatchMaster Rifle. It was made in 1947, well built rifle. I think its the most accurate .22 I have ever shot, and it has a solid weight to it.

Today we went shooting up near the mountains where I live (Me, my Dad, my Brother, and a friend). We brought 3 shotguns, an "M-14 Mini", a SigSour (.40 Calibre pistol), the Remington MatchMaster, and a Colt 45.

It was awesome because my Dad is a real gun collector, and he thought over the years that he was missing his favorite shotgun. So, we open up one of gun cases, and there he has his Browning Automatic Shotgun, the one he thought was missing. Very very cool gun, holds 6 shotgun shells, is semi-automatic (no pumping needed).

The story on the .22 I got is, when my Dad was 12 years old, he traded his Guitar and a 70cc Motorcycle for this Rifle. He kept it over the years, and now it is mine :)

Even better story is the German Broomhandle Mauser that he has. We didn't shoot it, but I guess my Dad's Grandpa's Uncle took it off of a dead German officer in WWI, smuggled it back to the U.S. My Dad's Dad ended up with it, and my Dad took if from him when my Dad's Dad moved out (my dad was 12 at the time). He kept it hidden in his closet, took it with him to college, and now it is here.

Anyways, thought I would post this, I am pretty excited. I took the gun over to an old guy I know, he took it apart, cleaned it all up for me, polished the wood, re-lubed it, etc. I will post pictures...

Any other gun fanatics here?

2. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

3. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....not into firearms myself but your post made me think of that great line from Dale Gribble - "...guns don't kill people...the government does!"....oh yeah!

5. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

My mother just bought 10 acres of Texas Hill country land to eventually retire on, so I went with her to pick out a shotgun. She's got a small frame, so we ended up with a Baretta Bantam 20 ga pump. It will make a fine "critter gun"...she's got hogs, turkey, and rattlesnakes, not to mention the usual pests such as raccoon, possum, bobcat, etc. Interestingly, there is also whitetail and axis deer in the area, probably coyote, maybe even mountain lion...which would be very strange for the area, but I know someone that saw a mountain lion on their property, and they only live about 30 miles away from there.

Anyway, she flew in here to Dallas to have me go with her to buy the shotgun, and couldn't fly back with it, so now I'm stuck here with a pump shotgun....woohoo!!! I don't have any shells for it, but it sure is fun to listen to that sound. lol

I'm pretty nervous about firing it...the most I've shot is a .22, and I had to assemble the shotgun...maybe I'll use a string to pull the trigger for that first shot, in case I didn't put it together right...hehehe

6. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I don't really understand what you guys do with your guns. I know its a very american thing to own guns and do stuff with them, but what exactly do you do? Go around shooting people (I know some of you do), shoot animals? shoot targets?

7. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Mostly for Target/Critter shooting. Where I live, there are a lot of farms, and rabbits. You can go out at night with a truck and a spotlight, and if you shine the light on a rabbit, it will freeze. Then, you cap it!

My Dad has the SigSauer (pistol) for home/self defense. He bought that pistol because of its ability to be 100% completely safe while being loaded (with a bullet in the chamber). So, he keeps it loaded all the time, just incase.

8. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Congratulations........but what will you use it for.. :confused:

Edit: a tiny bit to late :eek:

9. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

Then what do you do with the rabbit?

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...tastes a bit like chicken...southern fried rabbit...if you are going to kill it may as well eat it....oh yeah!

11. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

This from the person with Tupac as their avatar...LOL...just found that a little ironic :D

12. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Yea but that is very different, those guns are for self defense and for killing people. I know that MacAztek doesn't use his guns for that. So I was curious what they were for.

13. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    back home we normally just go shooting at a range; or competition combat shooting; which is like target shooting but there are obstacles and you have to move around.

some ppl are into speed shooting.

14. deanbo macrumors regular

Shot Anyone Yet?

You're not a postal worker are you?

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Man, been too long sense I've got out w/the family into the middle of nowhere and had some fun. Shooting at an indoor range just ain't the same.

Lethal

16. asqy macrumors regular

Yehawww

Guns are pretty much illegal in Australia.

Farmers are allowed bolt action rifles for farming purposes.

Semi automatic handguns and rifles cannot be owned by your average person in the burbs.

Also extremely tough laws for recreational shooters.

Extremely popular reform in 1996.

Black market guns of course. Police in NSW use 9mm 15 round Glock.

17. russed macrumors 68000

russed

or as goldie lookin chain sang - guns dont kill people, rappers do!

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's very American to blow & shoot stuff up.

Hell, you should see the fireworks they sell down south!

Don't ask me how I know, but 'gators aren't very intimidated even when a pyrotechnic mortar round (thrown, not launched) goes off right next to them.

19. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

What a great hunter you are - sure must take a lot of skill to hit a rabbit standing still. Great sport.

Wow - a completely safe gun. Lets hope you don't wake him up when you come home one late night. Perhaps you'd better to call in advance - just in case.

A

20. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

No, guns don't kill people - people with guns do.

A

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

And thank God! We truly are the lucky country. :D

22. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Ask the guy in your avatar.

23. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I'm not an animal rights activist by any stretch of the imagination, but I have a problem with killing animals for "sport". I just have to bite my tongue sometimes when I hear a brave hunter talking about how he climbed up into a tree stand and used a high-power scope to shoot unsuspecting deer from hundreds of feet away.

If you want to impress me, go up against a buck with your bare hands and let me know how it goes. ;)

24. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Sorry PETA folks, farmers here want the rabbits dead. It isn't a sport of who can kill the most rabbits, but rather a way of saving crops. Sorry, but animals don't come first when it comes to food.

25. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Its been done. Its illegal in most of the US though as its unnecessarily cruel to the deer.

I know people who switched to bow-hunting because there is an actual challenge in it.

There are people who hunt for meat to supplement what they grow. I know farmers who hunt to keep the deer out of their crops. A few counties over there was an elk reintroduction program that had about half the elk killed by one farmer (with permits) because they kept raiding his corn.

As for the fireworks they sell down south, I got to shoot off a 3" mortar about a week ago. Seriously cool