Got a new job

Discussion in 'Community' started by revenuee, Mar 21, 2005.

1. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Hey guys, i just wanted to share my good news with all my friends here at MacRumors.

As many of you may know i have an avid interest in photography. I'm in second year working towards a B.A. in Film Studies but what i really want to do with my life is be a photojournalist.

Well i'm one step closer to reaching my dream

For the past year i have been a contributor to my University News Paper, primarily as photographer, but i also wrote a few pieces. It was working for free but i like working in the environment -- i had aspired through the year to get a job getting paid for what i do.

The Editors at the news paper i contribute for are hired by the student union as PAYED editors. After a stress-full interview this weekend, about two hours ago i got a call that i was hired as the photo editor for the coming year.

I did it, i got a paying job working for one of the top Canadian University Papers, in what i hope will be my chosen profession.

I'll be making about as much as i did working my current job in the photo-lab, but i'll actually be doing what i love doing + plus the added bonus of money. Also many editors have moved onto work for news papers here in Canada so i a great step for my career.

I'm absolutely ecstatic.

Rev.

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Great news for you! Not only do you actually know what you want to do with your life, you get to actually do it.
    I hope it is everything you are looking for.

3. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Congratulations on the achievement. Glad to hear you pursued your vision and now it's getting closer to a reality :)

4. revenuee thread starter macrumors 68020

revenuee

thank you ... my first year was really a confusing time, wasn't sure what i was doing, i really gained focus this second year.

I did the job for free for 8 months and loved every minute -- now they are going to pay me for it.

i love journalism, and i love telling a story through my pictures -- now i can finally do it.

5. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Congratulations!
    Best of luck to you.
    Nice to hear some news of good fortune. Especially the result of hard work that got noticed.

6. revenuee thread starter macrumors 68020

revenuee

Thanks a lot everyone

i really wanted this job, i'll be working on campus so it makes a lot easier on me in the respect also.

there is something i learned today -- gotta have a plan, focus, and determination.

Gotta be willing to work for free, pay dues as it were --- i obviously haven't made it yet, but i'm one step closer then i was a few hours ago.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

congrats and best wishes on the new job!

hope you continue to be passionite about it and love it!

wish you the best success too!!

8. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Good Job!
    There is very few things better than knowing you've landed a job you really, really want (beating out people for the job makes it even better!).

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

This sounds like an awesome opportunity revenuee, good luck with your chosen profession. It's suggested to decide what it is that love, and then find someone that will pay you. Essentially you have fulfilled the dream of many.

10. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Congrats. I would eventually move over to starting my own photography business in my different ventures. You do build up a portfolio that can be a real asset to you. There are so many different opportunities for aspiring photographers.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah congratulations, buddy! Working for the McMaster/Mac Newspaper is definitely a step in the right direction. I had a friend who contributed to it several times 2 years ago (maybe 3), and she loved it.

What's a photo editor's job? Do you still get to be a photographer, or is this closer to what you want to do?

12. revenuee thread starter macrumors 68020

revenuee

i was talking the managing editor a few hours later when he called me to congratulate me, but he said i beat out a whole slew of people that applied for the job as well.

He said my application/resume was the strongest, my portfolio was the most diverse and interesting, and they hadn't seen anyone as calm under pressure as i was during my interview (meanwhile i was feeling sick the whole time). And i was the only one that passed the color accuracy test. I was the second interview and after mine they new that they just needed to find an assistant photo editor cause they already had their main one.

Kinda makes you feel really good about your skill's and definitely encourages further development of skills knowing that there is potential there.

WDLOVE -- yes essentially i can say i have my dream because financially i'm making the same amount as i was working in retail, a job which i hated going to. Now i get to work in my chosen career path, and i believe i'm actually going to be satisfied with my job -- i did the editors job once or twice for training before i applied and i loved it.

LACERO -- There are a few ideas being bounced around between several friends who would like to work with me. What i really want to do is travel though. If i could spark a freelance gig with a travel magazine that allows me to travel the world and send in photo essays and interest pieces for a few extra bucks freelancing, i would love to do that after i graduate. I don't want to get ahead of myself enjoying one piece of good news for now.

ABSTRACT -- Essentially the Photo and Assistant Photo Editors are responsible for all the images on the page. Contributers/volunteers come in every week and we assign stories and topics that need photographs, or objects to be photographed - some weeks you give away all the assignments, some weeks you and your assistant are the ones that are covering everything - for the most part you do the assignments that no one wants.

Then on production night, you sift through all the images, and pick the best ones that go with the stories the contributors or editors from other sections wrote.

so there is still a lot of work as a photographer, but then more so the task of choosing, color correcting and sizing images.

Essentially i enjoyed doing the photo essays and such projects myself but i really see this as a positive career move as now i'm in control of a the full process - the idea behind the position is that i will be heading the photo department at this paper.

i'm pumped; i get an office and an assistant .... LOL