got a new macbook! few questions...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by krayg, Dec 18, 2006.

1. krayg macrumors member

hi all, Just thought i'd say hi and that I have a nice shiny new core2duo macbook! Its my first real mac and im very pleased it so far, Im getting used to OSX and the hardware is beautifully designed. Ive been a lurker on this forum for a long time and very jealous of all you mac users! so its nice to finally join your ranks!

I do have a few questions that maybe some of you could help me with though:

I have bought an external hard drive and downloaded the free version of superduper as I have heard this is the best backup solution, I am using it to create bootable backups on the external drive. I am planning on buying the full version, so just before i do, do many of you guys use superduper? and are you pleased with it?

Is it worth buying a program like appzapper? I have heard that some programs leave crap on your mac after they are uninstalled, so should i get a program like this and is appzapper the best one?

And one last question - I have heard that I could cut down on a lot of wasted hard drive space by re-installing OSX and getting rid of excess printer drivers and languages that I wont ever use. Is this a good idea and are there any guides out there detailing how to do this?

thanks guys!

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Welcome to the fold. :)

1) Haven't used SuperDuper myself, but I hear good things. Another option that's floated around a lot is Carbon Copy Cloner. Might try out both and see if one or the other has features you need (or if one's cheaper than the other).

2) I personally don't think so. Programs that really strew crap everywhere like Adobe's Creative Suite or Microsoft Office usually have uninstallers. Most everything else just leaves a couple static preferences files or an app support folder with a few things in it. 99% of the time it's really not a big deal, and if you ever decide to get that app again, it's kinda nice to have all your former settings still there.

3) Yes, you can. If you're really pressed for space, it's a good idea, though not completely necessary. To do it, just do a system restore from the DVD (or DVDs) that came with your machine. Put in the first disc, and it should pop up with an app that'll restart your Mac into the installer. From there you can do a custom install of OS X and the included apps to cut out the stuff you don't need.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Congrats on the pruchase,

1.) I use SuperDuper and it is very good. Tells you exactly what is going to happen. The free version is very good, the paid version does have added features such as Smart Update which does reduce the backup time significantly.

2.)For me the jury is out on AppZapper, i always install programs and uninstall them yeah some bits get left behind such a preferences and folders in application. In regards to the preferences they are generally very small and i like the idea of being able to reinstall a program and it 'remembering' where it was.

3.)You can just delete the printer drivers yourself, IIRC they are in Library/Printers or some place like that. I just deleted any that werent made by the people who make my printer.

In regards to the languages check out Monolingual . Just make sure that you dont remove any of the items in Architecture tab, as IIRC you can get rid of Rosetta by accident if you arent careful.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Agreed... One thing about files in the library and so on is that in general, the fact that these files are there does not particularly seem to slow down OS X like it does some versions of Windows. I wouldn't bother with uninstalling apps with something like AppZapper or re-installing unless / until you actually do get close to fulling the HD....

Enjoy your new toy! :)

5. krayg thread starter macrumors member

if i was to re-install osx, would i be able to keep things like my keychain etc? Could i get these things using the system migration tool and my usb2 drive backup?

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

In theory yes have heard of other people doing this but i have never tried this myself so can not give you a definite answer.

7. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I like SuperDuper very much. If you backup regularly, and you should, the time Smart backup saves more than makes up for the price.

I delete to the Trash. I also usually do a Find... from the Finder on the name of the program and drag the few associated files to the Trash. There is always a preference file, and occasionally other files. All of them are tiny and many people just leave them. It is a matter of preference.

8. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

1. SuperDuper: don't use it but it sounds good.

2/3: I think you are over complicating things. Stop trying to do things the Windows way, there is no reason to on the mac. Others have covered the specifics as to why 2/3 are unnecessary already.

But another note on printer drivers is that since you have a laptop its actually really nice to have all the drivers there since you never know when you'll be somewhere where you want to just print something to a printer that isn't yours. Its really nice to be out of your own office/home and be able to print to any printer available to you without the need to track down drivers.

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

This is an excellent point.

If you want to see what is taking up disk space use DiskInventoryX and Whatsize.