Got a new shuffle for my wife; what should I do now?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wordmunger, Apr 19, 2005.

1. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

As the thread title suggests, I just purchased a new shuffle for my wife's birthday on May 2. Should I:

A: Just give it to her in the initial box and let her handle installation, charging it up, etc. (She's a professor with a lab full of Macs, so this would be no problem for her to do)?

B: Set it up with a playlist of songs she likes, along with a partition to use as a memory stick (She probably needs the memory stick function more than the music function), giving it to her fully charged and ready to go?

Edit: I should add

C: Just keep it for myself and take her out to a nice dinner; this thing's too cool for her!

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i would open it up, make sure its music that you know she will love, fill it, charge it the day before and put it back in the box, with a note from you saying thats it is all ready to go.....thats how i would do it

nice gift, hope she enjoys it

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I think you should go with B... then you can always fall back to C if you really like it while filling and - ahem - testing it... ;)

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Agree that B is the way to go. It's much more personal and thoughtful that way.

As for C, isn't Father's Day around the corner? ;)

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

WTF are you guys saying!?

Professor with a lab full of Macs?

A

Let her have a play with it, register it, give it a name etc. That can be the best part -- the anticipation.

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Give her a Rio instead. The expression on her face would be priceless.

8. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

Give Her a Rio/ LOL.

I find that unwrapping a mac product is one of the greatest stages of the product. And i found that to be the case with the shuffle.

I'd go for A

9. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

I have to say, I'm leaning towards A, because I'm not sure how well I'll be able to cover my tracks during the installation phase, and not sure how exactly she'll want to configure it. Also if I choose B, I might end up shifting to C, which would be a shame indeed. Actually I'm planning on getting one for myself shortly afterwards; the real present will be that she gets hers first!

10. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I see your point, and agree from a tech geek perspective, but where's the romance in it? I got my wife a mini for Christmas this past year, and the only reason I didn't load up a few of her favorite tracks on it was that I was half sure she'd go through the roof and take it back. (Of course, she loved it.)

EDIT: No matter which way you go, A or B, your wife still gets a shuffle, so there's really no bad way to do it. :)

11. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Be Creative!

I vote B.

Put together a great playlist of your songs.

Then on the data part put some picture or a .mov of an iPhoto slideshow of pictures of the two of you from vacations or whatnot. Get it fully charged and pack it back up. (I just purchased a Shuffle so I know you can repack it well as long as you don't open all the accessories and you are careful when opening it) Then wrap it up and let her find the songs, pictures, slideshow, etc.

12. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Just did this. Went with B.

One little slice was all that was needed to get to the Shuffle. She opened it in a bar and instead of just looking at it with "that's cool!", she actually got to put it on and hear some music. Much more of a "priceless" moment.

13. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

somewhere in history allso known as a Kodak moment :) hehe

nice how you did it, its more personal than giving it straight from the shop... I bet it will take a while until she will replace the playlist.

14. gost8go macrumors member

I gave a shuffle to my wife for valentine's day. I wasn't sure if it would make me look even geekier but the package looks like a perfume box. Apple knows how to make an impressive gift.

Now if they would get the armbands in stock that she wants...

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'd go for "A", but get a playlist prepared for her. Let her open the Shuffle, load it up, etc., but show some thought by having, oh, 512MB - or whatever amount you think she'll leave free - worth of music you've picked for the occasion in a playlist for her.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thats also a good idea there jsw, where have you been btw? i haven't seen you around lately

17. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

You can easily put the shuffle back as new in the packaging if you're careful.
    Do B, but Pretend you've done A, and when she puts it in/turns it on she'll have a suprise.

My girlfriend's bloody parents already got her an iPod - Bastards!

18. weldon macrumors 6502a

weldon

I don't know how it is in your house, but my wife always appreciates it when I show her how to use the gadgets rather than always doing everything for her. I bought her a mini and then a shuffle after the mini was stolen. She likes knowing how to create a playlist and manage it herself.

Also, check out the leather cases at www.podsplus.com. I bought my wife a pink leather case and she loves the extra touch rather than just the plain, "boring" white of the shuffle.

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

We're talking a professor here with a lab full of Macs. I doubt that she needs a big strong man to hold her hand while she unwraps and sets up her shuffle. :)

20. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

I just wanted to let everyone know I gave her the shuffle yesterday, when we celebrated her birthday. She loved it, and was totally surprised.

I decided to unpack it and load some songs onto it. The main reason is because I realized it would be a big pain to copy music from our server to her computer. So I went ahead and copied our entire music library onto her powerbook (over 20 gigs of music -- it took 45 minutes in FW target mode), then my daughter and I set up a playlist for her shuffle based on that.

Of course, she then configured it the way she wanted (just 100 MB for music, enough for her walk to work; the rest for a flash drive).

I was so impressed with the shuffle that I bought one for myself as well!

21. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Awesome! Glad she liked it, and glad you got yourself one, too! :)

22. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

i think loading a few songs on makes a nice personal touch. that way they are happy with the gift, then you tell them to listen and they are surprised again with the music on there! (as long as its music you KNOW they like) women like when you know stuff about them, like what music they like! heh. just dont do anything stupid like load slipknot when you know they like jack johnson!!!