Got a new truck!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by joecool85, Aug 13, 2006.

1. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Alright, I just got a 1988 Ford Ranger V6 4x4 5spd, super cab. It has 205/75/15s on it for now, and came with a full size spare, and 4 snow tires on rims as well. 110k miles, one owner. The owner is a friend of the family, and a teacher at the local high school. He took great care of the truck and even ran sythetic oil in it from the 3k mile mark all the way till now. I bought it for $200!! He was going to send it to the crusher the next morning! All I need to do to it is replace the shackles, one of them is toast (no biggie since I was going to put in lift shackles), and fix the ebrake. Some of the regular hardline on the brakes is crappy too, so I will probably replace whats bad on that as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I plan on running 2" of lift (shackles in rear, 1.25" coil spacer up front) and 30x9.5-15 BFGs. That part will happen next summer though, no money for that right this second.

I'm also going to repair the rust on it and repaint it so the two tone is in the proper locationg (in the middle, black on top and bottom). I might just do it all black though, not sure yet.

2. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

Cool. I love gettin older cars/vans to work on. The engines are a lot simplier and more solid!

3. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

I should note this is not my daily driver. I drive a 2001 Ford ZX2 for that.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

i'd pay 200 to ride around in a taxi instead of that p.o.s.

5. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Hey if you have a good car around and just need to haul something every so often all you need is an old truck like that. Rangers will run forever...tough as nails if you do a little work on them.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

ok i take it all back. i would buy that thing and like it, a lot.

7. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Does it have wi-fi?

Just kidding...sweet truck. Projects (cars, houses, woodworking,...) are great!

8. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Yeah, its definetly not a ride I'll be in every day. It'll probably see 1000 miles a year or so, and a good deal of that will be off road time.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

$200 is great! It runs and you can make it into a 4x4 which will be awesome.

10. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

if it's a truck with four wheels on it and it runs, it's worth more than you paid, fer sure!

11. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Is that $200 what the seller would have gotten for the truck if he sent it to the scrap?

Anyway, great purchase. Think about it......you got a car. For $200. That's like less than the cost of 2GB of RAM for your laptop or something.

13. CompUser Guest

Yea, you really need to repair that rust and give it a good paint job.

14. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

It already is a 4x4...

15. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Yeah, its on the list.

16. CompUser Guest

That would be my priority over a lift kit and new wheels. Or just sell your focus and that thing (if you can) and buy pickup that needs no restoring.

17. ToddW macrumors 6502a

wow i used to have 90 model ford ranger single cab V6 5spd that was a fun truck to drive. I miss it a lot.

18. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

^^^ but its a project truck. Its fun fixing it up. Nice grab btw, although the bed looks a bit off from the rest.

Is the frame straight?

19. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

It is priority, but all it needs is a little grinding, a quick sand and some paint. I can do that in 1-2 afternoons. And I don't own a focus, its a ZX2...totally different car. I'm not buying new wheels, just tires and that won't be till next summer, and on top of that, I need the car for good mpg.

Yes the frame is straight, I think some of the body mounts are worn.

20. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Sweet! You should "Pimp My Ride"ify it! A water-bed in the back, 40" plasma TV on the roof, big flame decals down the side, gold wheel trims...

"You've officially been pimped!" :cool: