Got a PB, a few questions awaits me now...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Jdm_rsx, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

IF u guys seen my post in the gamers section, i have already sold my iBOOK and got myself a powerbook

i would like to game warcraft 3 TFT and sim city 4 on my PB as well

right now it only has 256 ram

im deciding if i should get another stick of 512 or just aim for the 1 gig?

if 1 gig, what brand? any good place to pick it up from?

any website to show me how to install it on my own?

would i see a big difference in performance? or just mini ?

i forget the rule of ...? disappearing or something...something i learned in economics class....

thanks!

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

There is instructions on how to install RAM yourself in the manual. You can also find intructions on apples website under "customer installable parts".

The differnce from 256mb to 768mb is huge if you are doing more than just surfing. I have 768mb in mine and it runs fine, i can't comment on 1.25GB since i have never used any never powerbooks with that much memory.
    I chose crucial when I bougth RAM, its much cheaper than apples, but I've heard many have had good experiences with cheaper RAM. Search the forum and you'll find many answers.

Warcraft 3 tft runs great on mine.

3. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

4. maya macrumors 68040

maya

As long as you do it with relaxation in mind installing anything in an iBook or PowerBook is simple, just follow the instructions and loose the excitement. :)

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    if your skittish about dooing it yourself

just sit yourself down print a copy of the instructions give it a read like 2-3 times get familiar with the steps so you know what happens next rather than just hop in and try to do it and constantly refer.

if you are still not confident then take it to a shop, they normally wont charge

i have 2x512 and tft runs well a little laggy when a lot of units are on a map, but i guess thats cuz i keep the details on high

6. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

i thought there was only one expansion slot on the powerbooks? for ram?

7. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

There are two slots total.

8. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

interesting, on the Powerbooks have two???

whereas, the iBOOKS have one or two?

i was told by the sales guy at my bookstore that they only have one slot..

thanks for the heads up

but max ram on the PB or iBOOK itself is 1.25 GB right?

9. JasonL macrumors regular

PBs have two slots. The thing about the iBooks is that they have two, but one is built in leaving one with only one slot to work with.

When I ordered my PB I had the 512MB put on one SO-DIMM (512 was standard on mine and it wasn't too expensive to have Apple do it in 512x1 rather than 256x2 format). I then ordered another 512 from Crucial and did it myself. It is ridiculously easy to install it yourself. You basically take a cover off the back, release the fastening clips from your old RAM, pull it out and put the new one in. You then push the clips back in.

If you are only going to add a new stick it is even easier as no removal is required. Just plug the new one into the empty slot and push the clips down.

Good luck!

10. betsbillabong macrumors regular

I think that the 12" powerbooks have only one *available* slot, just like the ibooks; the 256 MB of RAM is soldered into the first slot - so the maximum RAM you can put in is 1.25 MB (still pretty good).

The 15" powerbooks have two open slots, allowing a maximum of 2MB.

In my opinion, the 12" should have the same specs as the larger powerbooks when at all possible. I'm not sure I understand crippling the RAM like that.

11. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

1.25 and 2MB of RAm seems good... :p You'll be flying with your 2 MB of RAM... :eek:

12. JasonL macrumors regular

Oh, we're talking about a 12"? Sorry, I hadn't seen that. I guess I assumed we were talking about the 15" ComboDrive 1.33 model.

Yeah, the 12" PB has 256MB built-in, leaving one available slot. 512MB sticks aren't very expensive (though the 1GB ones are getting cheaper) so I'd probably pop on of those in and see how it runs. So, yeah, the max on the iBooks and 12" PB is 1.25GB RAM. It is 2GB for 15" & 17" PBs. :D

13. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

It has to do with space. Nothing more. But there simply isn't enough room to cram more RAM into one!

The iBook have one available slot, with 256MB built in across the board.
    The 12" PowerBook is the in same boat, but with a faster engine. (Faster RAM, but only 1 extra slot. 256MB inside)
    The other PowerBooks have 2 slots, none built in.

14. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I have a 17" 1.33GHz PowerBook with 1GB RAM in it......and Warcraft 3, Sim City 4, Civ 3, and The Sims all run very well on it.

15. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

very well? as in if you zoom in it doesnt lag at all?or when you move across the screen?

how long does it take you to load the screen?

when DOES IT lag for you?

thanks!

16. maya macrumors 68040

maya

You sold the iBook for a PowerBook, you might as well sell the powerbook and buy an iMac G5 or a PMG5 for games. ;) :)

That is alright you will get it right only a few more try's. :D