Got a question about my contract ending.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gc15, Feb 20, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

My contract with Verizon will be ending this month on my iPhone 4. I am looking to upgrade, but I plan on to waiting to see what apple announces about the next generation; however that is not my question. I want to keep my unlimited data on my phone, which means I can't sign a new contract cause that would put me into their new plans. I could work with a set amount of data, but having unlimited would just be better. Anywho my question is, say I bought someone's used verizon iPhone 4S/5, could I put that phone onto my account without having to sign a new contract. Can I ask them to do that, and will they let me?

2. macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Yes. It's very simple. Just call them up or stop by a Verizon store. I did this when the 4S came out and I was only about 6 months into my contract with my 4.

3. macrumors demi-god

You used to be able to do it online (in my Verizon days). You probably still can.

4. macrumors 6502a

Are you sure? With Sprint, every time I signed a new contract, my plan didn't change unless I chose to different one. Maybe VZW is different.

5. macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Yes. If you want a subsidized new phone you have to sign a new contract and are required to move into one of their tiered data plans. If you want to keep unlimited data you have to pay full price for a phone, and then pray that they don't decide to just do away with unlimited all together one day once all of the current customers who have it are no longer under contract. At that point they could decide to cancel it and say tough poop, since anyone who had it wouldn't be on contract they wouldn't be losing out by having to let them go without paying their ETFs.

6. macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Just be very clear that you don't want to sign a new contract and want t continue month-to-month. Most people sign a new contract and the store employees will assume that you want to unless you tell them otherwise.