Got a Registration Letter From The Selective Service

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Squilly, Jan 22, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

Squilly

I'm so against the selective service. Nonetheless, I googled it and apparently c the draft isn't even in effect. Is that true? On the letter, I'm basically forced to register. Sucks.

2. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

You are required to sign up when you turn 18 (and are male).

3. macrumors G5

jav6454

Wait, what the hell? Can someone explain this (non-US citizen here).

4. macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yup, you are forced to register. If you don't good luck with ever getting a job, not to mention possible fines/jail

----------

Simple, it maintains a registry in case a draft is ever implemented

5. macrumors P6

-aggie-

You have to sign up just in case they ever draft again. DOUBTFUL they ever will though.

6. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Yep, OP, you need to register with Selective Service. As others have said it is doubtful they will ever implement the draft.

7. macrumors 603

8. macrumors G5

jav6454

You are back?! Good to have you back.

9. macrumors P6

-aggie-

Thanks and glad to see you're still around old friend.

10. macrumors G5

jav6454

What the hell, pretty much every guy has to register. Quick question to all US citizens, are you guys really registered or have you postponed it (due there being no draft)?

Yup, alive although not posting as before. You need to kick your posting up or loose your "Top 50 Posters" status. ;)

11. macrumors Core

MacNut

You have to register or pay a fine I believe. Altho it should be opened too all people 18 and up not just males.

12. thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

13. macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Yep, I did it when I signed up for college. I don't want to encounter any complications in the future so I just filled out the page online and submitted it. I believe you need to do it if you want to receive any aid, federal loans or grants to go towards your college education. It's also important to do to avoid any fees and jail time.

14. macrumors Core

MacNut

Some people want it to be but I don't see it happening.

15. macrumors 603

Carlanga

16. macrumors P6

dukebound85

doubtful buuuuut you really don't have much of a choice

17. macrumors demi-god

thatoneguy82

I got one of those letters when I turned 18, so did my brother. But of course if the draft were ever to be implemented only one of us could ever be picked. And I also thought I could get out of it by saying I was gay. But, that's not going to fly anymore!

But, we're too old now. lol. :(

18. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Government tyranny, plain and simple. It's why we need to horde guns and ammo.

With nearly half the top 50 rarely posting, I wouldn't worry about it.

19. macrumors 6502

JoshMKB24

Highly unlikely, just with how intertwined the world is now and a global economy......its unlikely there would ever be a war on the scale that they would need to implement the draft, then the PR hit and career suicide it would be for all the politicians in office at that point.

20. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

While we can't accurately predict the future, it seems unlikely that it will ever be implemented.

21. macrumors 68000

dXTC

My guess (take with as many grains of salt as desired) is that a war that would be serious enough to cause the draft to be reinstated is likely to involve use of WMD, including nuclear. There are a fair number of soldiers in the US Armed Forces Reserves who would be called up first. There are quite a few people who recently left the armed forces who would voluntarily rejoin as well, if given the choice, and maximum age limits would most likely be ignored in those cases provided the need was bad enough.

22. macrumors 6502

JoshMKB24

Not to mention unlike in WW1/2/Vietnam there are UAVs and other means of a smaller group of people controlling a lot larger force.

23. macrumors 603

Menel

Seriously, Google/wiki can help you out a lot. And uhhh, your parents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_Service_System

24. macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I was in the same boat as you when I turned 18. I didn't want to register, and I wanted nothing to do with the military.

About a year an a half later after my brother joined the Army I had a change of heart and joined as well. Spent nearly 12 years in the military.

That being said, I still don't like the idea of the selective service. I feel like it's big brother keeping tabs on you, though I am fairly certain they will never use your registration for anything though.

You don't really have a choice, other than contacting your congress person to change the law. (Don't think that will go anywhere though either)

25. macrumors 603

If it isn't, then there is little harm in registering. If it is, then you can be sure that those who should have - and didn't - will be made an example of.

I say this as a Canadian who used to be an American. This was one of the things I'm not missing.