Got a sneak peak of a very buggy 10.4 today!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Hodapp, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

A friend of mine I have known since grade school worked his way up through the Apple corporate ladder, first as a sales rep in my area, or whatever you call the guy who straightens up the Apple section of CompUSA/Best Buy and over the years has risen Fairly high to the quality control department, or whatever apple calls the guys who critique Apple's applications for usability and intuitiveness. (That's what I understand his job is anyway, to give the developers notes on what features to change/add to keep the Macintosh 'experience.')

Anyway, he has been living out in the Cupertino area for the past couple of years, and recently had a death in his family, so he flew back home... And while he was here, he looked up the old crew of guys we used to hang out with back in the good ol' days. We got talking about how much of a Mac-head I've turned in to, owning nearly every product they've released in the past few years since I was 'reborn' as a Mac user when I kicked my Dell out the window one day. So he says he has something I bet I'd like to see, and he pulls out his 15 inch PowerBook.

My buddy apparently was able to sneak out a machine running a very early alpha version of OSX 10.4, currently dubbed "Ocelot." The first boot up resulted in a kenel panic, which we joked about, but after that it was smooth as gravy.

I'm going to do my best to try to describe what it was like here, I'll do my best to field any questions because I'm sure I'll miss some things.

Apple was the first to revolutionize the GUI world with the concept of windows, multiprocessing, etc... Well, let me tell you, you ain't seen NOTHING yet. 10.4 allows for the placement of windows on a completely 3d plane. Imagine your desktop as sort of a 3d orb that you can place windows on, and rotated in 3d space.

Apparently they're going to introduce a new mouse with a track ball where the scroll wheel usually is, and using this track ball, you can rotate the 'sphere' of windows on your desktop to bring windows in and out of focus. Windows also have depth and dimensionality, meaning, windows can be linked together, and rotated like a cube.

Brushed metal is no more, everything is replaced with a semi-translucent plastic looking skin, so you can see through to windows on the other side of the 3d plane. This really was amazing because if you run out of desktop room, you just spin everything around, and you've got even more space to put windows on, and move them around... All the while you can see the old windows you were using, rotated off the screen and in the distance. The neatest feature being, quicktime will CONTINUE PLAYING, and you see your movie, skewed and backwards, like you're looking at the back of a movie screen!!!

Everything was running very slow, because the code apparently was not yet optimized for the non G5 computers, and apparently G3's may not be able to use most of the GUI enhancement features in 10.4.

Expose is still in place, except it is even cooler. The expose functions look like you're peeling the skin off an orange, and then flattening it, to view all the windows. Viewing only your application windows works much the same way, only it only 'skins' the windows associated with that application off the desktop 'sphere.'

He said that's all he could really show me, since it was an early alpha stage, he was just going the different widgets and method of control with the new 3D GUI.

Overall I'd say the new GUI is AMAZING. He promises me everything would be as fast as expose and the current GUI is now when it is released. Apparently the plan is to release it around the same time as Windows Longhorn, but that is very tentative, and it could come out earlier or later, he wasn't really sure.

Sorry for being kind of scatterbrained with this post, as I'm very excited and just writing as fast as I can to try to get everything down without leaving anything out.

But there you have it, 10.4, at least how windows work. :)

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

3. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Wow!

Wow! That's all I can say.

Oh, and I'm already running 10.5 (Beta, of course). It's pretty cool. The thing that sucks is that Apple is going to charge $250 for it because you have to buy this glove, and you have to wear it to control the OS. The mouse is gone, and the glove is wireless, using Bluetooth 3 technology! It's quite amazing.

Sorry, but I just find this story hard to believe. I've known several people who work for Apple (in R&D), and I know how tight security is. I find it hard to believe that this person could "sneak out" a machine running a beta OS.

4. Hodapp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

I figured I'd get this reaction, whether you believe it or not now, you'll see in a year or so. :)

5. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

If you're right, I'll be the first person to apologize for doubting you.

If you're wrong, I'll be the first person to confiscate your Macs and bannish you to the world of Windows for all eternity.

Your fate rests on your words. May God have mercy on your computing soul.

6. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Ha! I've got you all beat! My girlfriend knows this lady who knows this guy who knows this teacher who knows this doctor who knows this manager who knows this lawyer who knows this girl who knows Steve Jobs' daughter who is running Mac OS 11 on her black anodized PowerBook G7. She said, and I quote, "it's pretty cool".

7. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Assuming you're serious.....

What about people with trackpads or regular, non-trackball equiped mice? What about them?

Can you turn the 3D GUI on and off?

Why didn't you take any pictures? That probably would have gotten you're friend in trouble, I know, but I'd like more proof.

This would be really cool if you were right.

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Re: Wow!

Well... Apple did get a patent not long ago for a mouse with an iPod-like dial on top, so it's not too outlandish to think there might be some gimmicky software written to show off its capabilities. It does seem a bit much to think that something like that would become a standard desktop, though.

9. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Yeah, this seems like a big leap for Apple. I thought Sun Microsytem's new 3D OS was neat, but it wasn't really neccessary. It's pretty, I'm sure, but I think I'd only turn it on or use the 3D capabilties when I wanted to show it of to a PC troll. :)

10. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

{Removed Post} - I feel no need to join in the discussion any further.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I believe you in_burn. Have no reason to doubt you, you deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Thank you for the view into 10.4. So code name is to be "Ocelot." Well maybe I can get my name on the 10.5 "Tiger."

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product this Fall. So far it's been once per year.

What will the semi-translucent plastic looking skin look like? Are there any samples that have that look?

12. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

While I am a bit skeptical about the validity of this description, if Apple wants to sell 10.4 they are going to have to include some awesome new features. Looking at the past updates, 10.1 and 10.2 all were for the most part only revisions, with 10.2 being the first really solid and stable and useful by the masses version of OS X. 10.3 added a lot of killer new features (Expose, Fast User Switching) that got most of the people who upgraded. If Apple wants even a fraction of the people to update, 10.4 is going to have to do some really cool stuff. Whether it's a 3D file browsing system, or Linux like AppleInsider is talking about, I'm sure that Apple will surprise us with something new and awesome!

How long was it after 10.2 that we got out first public petting of Jaguar?

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I know on the street and in person it's good to be trusting, but...

14. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

I just hope you do not ruin your buddy's career with this info. I mean with the specifics, it would be easy to find him and can him if Apple felt like doing that.

Also, I wonder how much longer this will delay Longhorn, as they are for sure going to try to implement something similar.

15. airborne macrumors newbie

sure you do-- i am a custodian in the cupertino offices and i have seen some unbelivable things lately. now im just an old kook so maybe you dont believe me either, but i have seen bits and pieces of 10.4 and i think io_burn speaks the truth on this one.

maybe they have a separate team who works on the gui elements for the next rev. before theyre done finalizing the current batch of bugfixes or somthin but i totally believe io_burn's story, and i cant wait to get my geriatric paws on that sexy ocelot. oh the things we'll do togther....

to conclude-- dont be a naysayer mj_1903-- you may know some coders but you havent seen how shiny those linoleum floors are in there-- im very proud of them.

[mod. edit - Racist remark]

16. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Re: Got a sneak peak of a very buggy 10.4 today!

It sounds cool BUT if this is true your probably have seriously endangered your friends future with Apple...not something I would do...so I have serious doubts but thanks for the "rumor" because its an idea that would definetly be cool - although using expose to access multiple desktops for a single user would be far simplier!

17. Hodapp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

18. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

{Removed Post} - I feel no need to join in the discussion any further.

19. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Sure, but I think you gave far enough information for an insider to figure out who they are if indeed their security is taken as seriously as we hear. Plus assuming your information is right its a pretty big cat out of the bag. I remember how many people wrote about Expose as perhaps the coolest feature of that series of announcements, and this plans to trump that...so I think Apple would be reasonably pissed about a signficant leak regarding it...

20. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

This story does not sound far fetched. The Apple guy in the story went back home because of a family death and in that state of mind he could have forgotten to erase OS X 10.4 from his laptop before leaving work. Then again, taking unfinished software home could be a practice that most Apple employees do anyway, without worrying too much about the consequences... like stealing stationary from the office.

The only inconsistency in the story is the mouse that was mentioned. Was this mouse used in the demonstration with the laptop? If not, then how were the spinning windows controlled? io_burn has a bit of explaining to do about this point.

Now this 3D interface that OS X 10.4 will supposedly feature sounds like a response to that Java OS that was shown off a few months ago. All that graphical power in modern PCs has to be utilised somehow and this sounds like a good way to do it.

The transparencies are also a good idea but this is something that Apple could have offered us a long time ago. Utilities exist for OS X that let you do this allready. I wonder if this might mean that transparent plastics might make a return to the consumer lines. White does not do it for me the same way that lime did back in the day of G3 iMacs.

Ocelot sounds like a good name. This is a type of Leopard that is bigger than a house-cat but not by much. It hunts small animals during the night. These days, it is listed as an endangered species.

Attached Files:

21. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Re: Got a sneak peak of a very buggy 10.4 today!

Yeah right. There are enough holes in that story to run all the CAT5 cable in California through.

22. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    well whether its true or not, we all know there is going to be a 10.4 anyway, the moment they released 10.3 they were already working on 10.4 (at least it would make sense, no use to rest on your laurels)

i just want one of the Os 10. _ to be galled Tigger not Tiger, Tigger hehe

23. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

I'm going to reserve judgement on this. However, assuming this is true, I have two questions:
    1) As someone else mentioned, can you turn the 3D desktop off?
    2) What about the dock? Does it stay anchored at the bottom of the screen or does it rotate with the orb?

24. ChrisH3677 macrumors 6502a

There's not much too radical in that story - eg 3D desktops have been around for a few years.

And that's why I'd expect to see most of those features in an upcoming OS X whether 10.4 or 10.5 anyways, so we'll never really know if io_burn speak truth or not.

So I don't think Apple will lose too much sleep over it altho if it is true i'm sure they'll take disciplinary action.

PS And Longhorn may not be out til 2007. I'm sure 10.4 won't be that long. I reckon by then we'll be up to 10.6.

25. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Ocelot? I was willing to buy the story until that popped up. After using two of the most powerful feline names- Jaguar and Panther, Apple is going to go with an Ocelot? Geesh, it's an overgrown house cat.

From a July MR post:

Apple has added Lynx, Cougar, Leopard, and Tiger to their collection of trademarks, under the common category of "computers; computer software; computer operating system software".

This may suggest that Apple will be continuing on their recent spree of naming major Mac OS X releases after members of the feline family.

Ocelot??????