Got Accepted

Discussion in 'Community' started by CubaTBird, Nov 19, 2004.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    Hi all, I just received a letter of acceptance to the cal-state of my choice. However, of course, they want my last transcript of my current senior year so as to see that I didn't eff up on ne of my senior classes this year. Ne way, their is a section of the letter that states something like "finish the rest of your coursework with minimum grades of c". Is this really for real? Or should I still give my senior year that last push effort? And again, my overal gpa is 3 point something, can't remember, like .2 oe .1

Another thing, any other high school seniors here? If so what classes are you guys taking as ur last year? Im pretty much sticking to reg classes and no honors/ap's.
  2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    I wouldn't coast, just on principle - you've made it this far, continue - besides, you never know what's going to happen....

3. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    I'm a senior.

AP Statistics
    Web Design
    English IV
    AP Computer Science III

and I'm not planning on slacking off in any of them :), and I recommend you do the same.

4. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Don't slack off - give it your best, as you'll want to be proud of your efforts in the end. But still have fun!
  5. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    hey scemo what schools u applying to? whats ur gpa? just wondering...
  6. jasylonian macrumors regular

Sep 25, 2003
    slacking off can become habit forming and it takes a lot to reverse it. have you applied to any other schools? they might have more stringent standards...
  7. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    no no! my grades are fine now, i have a's and b's.. perhaps a c in math, but that would be it. I applied to 1 cal state and they accepted me and everthing, so im doin my best now as a senior. Im not planning on slacking off, its just that if somethin happens and i eff up and get a random c, im wonderin if would hurt me i guess, i hope not :rolleyes: :eek: ne way right now my classes as a senior are

chemistry (reg)
    american lit (reg)
    college prep math (its pre-cal, only slower)
    econ/poly sci
  8. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    If you slack off too'll go blind!
  9. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2004
    Denver, CO
    CONGRATULATIONS! does this mean you can go to berkely if you want to?
    dont slack off. I allways get pissed off when i see people at school doing that. You were accepted, but think of it as conditional acceptance. you can still screw up. good luck!
  10. agreenster macrumors 68000

Dec 6, 2001
    Walt Disney Animation Studios
    Dude, I worked my hardest senior year. I had:

-AP Calculus 2 (scored a 4 on the national test, tested out of all my math in college)
    -AP English Comp/Lit
    -AP Chem

-Plus tons of electives like art and animation and Spanish (dont forget PE/weight training). Don't slack because then you'll get into that rut and thats a terrible way to start your adult life.
  11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I know a high school student who was accepted to a Cal State university last year, and then "unaccepted" when his last courses didn't go well. His acceptance was rescinded in a letter, which arrived **after** he had taken his campus tour and even paid for housing.

12. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    Congrats on getting a Cal State (which one?).

I'd suggest keeping your GPA around the average cumulative GPA you sent them. I don't think you should run into any problems if you do that.

Anyway, I wouldn't "deliberately slack." Senior year can be crazy, so you might find that you're unintentionally slacking just a little. As long as you make sure to devote enough time to your studies so that you're maintaining your average GPA, I wouldn't worry about it.
  13. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004

California has two sets of public universities: the Cal States ("CSU") and the University of California ("UC"). Berkeley is a UC.

And when you get into a CSU or a UC, it's for a specific campus ... otherwise, certain popular campuses would get a little overloaded.

14. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    Art Institute of California at SF, Art Institute of Oregon at Portland, Art Institute of Washington at Seattle. I may apply to some more, but I'm not sure.

I have a 3.2 GPA and a 1310 SAT.

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
    emw, you captured my ideas exactly.

Never slack off. Always give it your best. Of that, you can never regret.

16. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Okay, I'm not saying slack off, but perhaps you could treat yourself by taking one "easy" or "fun" class instead of a harder class you might have taken when the pressure was on. Also, make sure you look at your college of choice's AP policy before you go overboard taking a lot of AP classes. Sometimes you don't get a whole lot of credit for them, so it doesn't necessarily make sense to take an AP class that you'll have to take over again in college. OTOH, if you're repeating stuff in college that you already know well, this could make your first year in college a bit easier.

What I've noticed as a college teacher, however, is that students who've "already had" a class in high school often tend to get overconfident and actually do worse than students who are encountering material for the first time -- because classes in college are usually taught at a higher level of complexity, so an AP level of understanding isn't necessarily a college level of understanding.
  17. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    Its a big step for you, and I would suggest too, that you not slack off. In the grand scheme of things, nobody will care 20 years from now if you made a B or a C in a class in HS, but in the here and now, it can make a difference in your acceptance. Don't want to blow that with a 'what might have been'.

Good luck!!

Gosh, I can't even remember HS its been so long!

Maybe I slacked off too much like stubeef said!
  18. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2003
    ha ha i said the same thing. just wait till spring time comes. i was 4th in my graduating class and i didn't make the honor roll in the fourth quarter. terrible i know.

the problem is that high school is a means to an end. once you get into college, high school has no purpose. you learn no pratical skills and have no real abilities. you are just prepared for college, in a certain sense.

i say enjoy the rest of the year. don't worry about school
  19. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    i remember still trying (relatively) hard for the last half of HS... we had a policy where you were allowed to skip the finals if you averaged A's through the year and also the last quarter - and guess what? their policy worked for me, at least. it was pretty awesome to have no finals to take and come to school on finals week just for kicks and to hang out.

congrats. enjoy, but do keep the momentum up. the beginning of college is important and you will want to minimize the down time, so to speak...
  20. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    i have another question, arn't the first two years basically like high school b/c u have take those GE classes, right? Do those GE classes have ne effect on ur major? Im a pre-business major so what ge classes would i be looking at? In general though...
  21. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I think that you should continue to perfrom at your best. That kind of habit will be an asset during your college life.
  22. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    steven, I lived in Bath for 3 years, navy pilot at NAS.

got I question.....your mom or dad a ceo? bowdoin is big$$$

I have a good buddy I visit regularly, has a cabin on an Island, Steve Caron, realestate agent in town, I love that part of the world.
  23. ejb190 macrumors 65816

I did things a bit differently. I took all the hardest classes in H.s., never took a study hall, and graduated in the top 10%.

When I got to college, I tested out of a couple of classes, but took them anyway. That allowed me to get in an "easy class" that really did count toward something and learn the "college style" of teaching. The only reason I would suggest testing out of any classes is if you can get out of the entire requirement. For instance, if you need 4 semesters of a language, but only test out of two, you are probably better off taking all four anyway. This gives you a chance to get comfortable with college.

I know a guy who did get dropped by his first choice school because of poor grades his last semester of H.S. He ended up going to a tech school and transfering back in, but it was a humbling experience. So it can, and does happen, espically now that there are so many applicants for each space.
  24. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I think it depends on the schools you're talking about, but for the most part, NO! College is much more demanding than high school. Very few people can slide right into college after high school. Your GE requirements are also going to vary depending on what school you go to. However, most business schools will not only consider your grades in your major, but also your overall GPA, so you should definitely not slack off your first two years in college.
  25. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    WM is correct, in fact look at your future schools freshman attrition rates.

These are all people that were qualified, but either unhappy or unable to perform.

Attrition rates vary for lots of reasons, inability to accept the right students is one, but difficulty of freshman classes is primary.

As for biz schools, I went to Chapel Hill, you had to have a 3.2 to be accepted into the school. Many schools within a University are atleast that hard, and quite often harder.

It isn't over till the fat lady sings.

You may not plan on it now, but if you want post grad degrees, ALL of your undergrad is up for review. BE careful, you may want a masters or Phd that you weren't planning on, so work VERY HARD.