Got an Amber Alert Tonight

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by BrandoFiasco, Aug 6, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Scared me off the couch when my phone blew up, however after I unlocked the phone I couldnt see the notification anymore, does anyone know a way of seeing the full info on the phone? Not sure how it works

2. macrumors newbie

pull down the notification center, amber alerts show up there after being dismissed

3. macrumors 6502

Anyone else in California get that Amber Alert tonight as well?

Never heard my iPhone make that noise before but it sure got my attention! :eek:

Looked up the Amber Alert after and its pretty sad. Apparently a guy was in a platonic relationship with a woman, killed her, and took her two kids :(

4. Locoboof, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013

macrumors 65816

Locoboof

Same here,just got it about 20 min ago. It's loud and scared the crap out of me too. I'm in northern Cali. Is this a regional thing?

Attached Files:

5. macrumors 68000

Yeah, it's regional. I think they just rolled it out in most places this year.

A couple months back here in MI, I was hanging out with a couple buddies - one was back in town from Chicago, so we were catching up.

At 1:30-2am, all of our phones just blew up at once with an alert that no one recognized. Kind of freaked us out. Was a situation of some guy stealing a car with a child inside, probably 20-30 mins away.

In Android, you can opt out (if you want to) under your Message settings.

Messages > Settings > Emergency Alerts > then check on/off (default on) Extreme alert, Severe alert, or Amber alert. There is also a Presidential alert that you cannot turn off.

Attached Files:

6. macrumors newbie

You're in an iOS forum...

7. macrumors 68000

No, I'm in the Current Events sub-forum of the Community Discussion forum.

OP never mentioned their phone OS and many users here don't use iOS devices.

8. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Someone on twitter said it was federal law now to broadcast those. I don't know if that is true, there was no source cited, but he's a pretty smart dude and I figure he's not full of ****.

9. macrumors 68020

You can opt out in iOS as well.
    Settings > Notifications > AMBER Alerts

There was a story a little while back about AT&T pushing an update that enabled Presidential Updates on the iPhone as well but I still don't see any options for that in Settings. Only Emergency Alerts which was always there.

10. macrumors 68000

All you ever wanted to know found here - www.amberalert.gov/

11. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

Hmmm, I got it last night but at 10:52pm.

12. thread starter macrumors member

Yea thats what I would think but wasnt there :(

13. macrumors 6502

I didn't get one and felt left out. My brother got it though. I'll have to check my settings.

14. macrumors 68020

IMO, amber alert should respect "do not disturb" setting. Chances are, most "do not disturb" settings are tuned to sleeping hour. And amber alert is irrelevant when you are sleeping.

Waking people up in the middle of the night will only prompt people to TURN OFF amber alert.

15. macrumors newbie

Yeah this topic was originally posted in the iOS7 section and got moved.

16. macrumors 6502a

Gutwrench

I believe the Amber and Govenment Alerts are very valuable however I think they could probably be tweaked to prevent people from being annoyed and opt'ing out. Opt'ing out defeats them.

17. macrumors 68020

Completely agree!
    They should also let you pick your own tone.
    I think those two changes would convince most people to leave the alerts enabled.

18. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Too easy to ignore your regular tones.

Are we really so self absorbed that we can't deal with a shrill alert on a very seldom basis that could result in saving a kid's life?

19. macrumors 68020

Call it self absorbed if you want, but regular tone is better than folks turning off the feature altogether. Anyway, we are talking about ability to change the tone when the phone is in do not disturb mode, when most folks probably are sleeping and not in any position to look out for people and/or vehicle in question.

20. macrumors 6502a

Gutwrench

The alerts aren't limited to just Amber Alerts but also includes Government Alerts too. I don't see whether a person is self absorbed or not is relevant. If a person doesn't want to receive the alerts in the middle of the night or in some other personal or professional setting and cant easily stop them then they may be apt to opt out and turn off the alerts completely. Who wants that? I think most everyone welcomes the alerts but not when they are of no use.

DND seems the logical place to do this.

21. macrumors 65816

Need I remind you of Aesop's Boy Who Cried Wolf or, as has recently been the case - police agencies that use absolutely no common sense when issuing Amber Alerts.

I'm not an uncaring individual. I'll gladly make great personal sacrifices to help someone who is truly in need or at risk.

But this Amber Alert is a bunch of utter nonsense. Its a piece of "theater" thats terrible at actually locating, or preventing, the worst tragedies.

If a child is abducted, the people best trained and equipped to deal with the situation are the police. If I'm at home asleep, or simply watching television, LEAVE ME ALONE.

22. macrumors 6502

You've bolded the wrong part of that quote.

If the child was in care, it was not safe for him/her to be at home.

23. macrumors member

I saw this alert driving but didn't get one on my phone is it still AT&T only?

24. macrumors Core

MacNut

I think AT&T was the first to push out this feature but all of the carriers should be doing it.

25. macrumors 68020

I've been using T-Mobile on my 4S since January and have gotten several alerts in that time.