got an awesome iPod mini deal!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by apple_iBoy, Feb 2, 2005.

1. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

Oct 28, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Last night, I managed to pick up a new silver iPod mini, unopened box, for $150!!

I saw an ad on Craigslist, and replied to it without getting my hopes up too much. I've inquired about inexpensive iPods on there before, and gotten replies back from the "seller" trying to get me to sign up for their little pyramid schemes. But, to my great surprise, this guy who was selling last night turned out to be legit.

He ordered the iPod mini as a Christmas gift for his girlfriend, but didn't get it in time and ended up finding one up at the last minute in a retail store. Meanwhile, Apple got around to shipping the one he had ordered before he could cancel. Since he had had it laser engraved, he didn't think he could return it (is this true???). Anyhow, he held on to it for a few weeks, and then decided that he'd like to have some extra cash ASAP before leaving on a trip for New Orleans (he was flying down today).

When I realized he really had a genuine iPod to offer, the price made me think I might be receiving stolen goods! But it turned out that he had never even taken the iPod box out of the shipping box from Apple -- it had his name and address on it, so my mind rested at ease.

This was really great for me, because several months ago, I lost my treasured 40GB 3G iPod. I was in the back seat of a cab with a bunch of big shopping bags, and when I was trying to wiggle and squirm out of the cab with all those bags, the iPod managed to wiggle and squirm out of my pocket. I didn't realize it was missing until the cab was 2 blocks away and turning. No amount of yelling and waving my arms in the middle of the street brought him back. :( I called every cab company in the yellow pages and begged them to call me if a driver found it, but no luck. It was really sad, because my mom had given it to me as a Christmas present. She always asked me if it was working okay and if I still used it, and I felt so horrible about it that I couldn't bring myself to tell her it was gone. I could never justify spending big bucks to replace it with another 40GB (although the price has gone down on those), but that $150 for a mini struck me as just right. It was still an expensive lesson to learn, and I'm not going to forget it anytime soon.

Today, for the first time in a long time, I walked to school instead of taking the subway, now that I had some tunes to walk to once again.

By the way, the custom engraving on the iPod says "I love you." I tell the iPod I love it, too.
  2. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    I'm sorry, but that is a really sad story. :( Especially about that part that you couldn't tell your mom about it. I just had to say that.

Actaully at first I thought this was another spammer with the word "deal" in the title ;)