Got back MBA from repair, told SSD and motherboard was replaced…

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by alphaod, Dec 11, 2009.

1. macrumors Core

Feb 9, 2008
    San Jose (CA)
    But I wasn't billed those parts… basically it was an out-of-warranty repair for a broken screen (well a missing bezel); it was set a Tier 2 flat rate.

Apple called me for a requote telling me it would be a Tier 4 because they needed to replace the motherboard and SSD since they couldn't get pass my encryption (which I gave them the passphrase for). They couldn't get rid of the firmware password either to run netboot to test the machine.

Basically a Tier 4 repair is a $1200 (plus tax); I of course declined because for that price I could get a new used computer and fix it myself and sell the rest for parts.

Well I got a call from the Apple Store, and they fixed my machine… but my SSD has been wiped… but the store guy said they replaced the motherboard and SSD; I was billed as a Tier 2 ($430). How can I tell if they replaced those parts or not? I tried doing a physical inspection and I couldn't tell.

This is important because some of my software is encoded to my hardware (at least the licenses are) and motherboard changes count as a new machine.
  2. macrumors 68020

Apr 3, 2009
    i would call apple and ask for them to read back the repairs completed , or just reinstall your software and you will find out.
  3. macrumors 601

Dec 5, 2007
    Yay Area, CA
    Check the screws. When a repair's done, the screws would be loose and require less of an effort to remove.