Got Cash! Buy G5 now or wait till REV.B

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mnstr_trd_sd, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. mnstr_trd_sd macrumors regular

    mnstr_trd_sd

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2004
    Location:
    san diego, ca.
    #1
    Okay here it goes. I recently got some cash to buy a G5 PM. Should I buy now or wait till the new revisions? If I should wait, how long do you think until the new revisions come out. I'm not that good at holding on to cash and I am a student in need of a fast PM.

    What should I do? Please help.


    Thanks,

    Roger
    Soulbyte@sbcglobal.net
     
  2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

    johnnyjibbs

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Location:
    London, UK
    #2
    Personally I would wait (unles you REALLY REALLY HAVE to get it now). Power Mac updates are expected within the next couple of weeks to a month, and you'll then be able to get discounts on the current models at the very least. Top speeds are expected at 2.5GHz so that's quite a leap, plus new graphics cards and possibly new aluminium displays. You'd be kicking yourself to buy something, and suddenly find something a whole lot better out there a couple of weeks later for the same price.
     
  3. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2003
    Location:
    St Helens, UK
    #3
    Wait, unless you REALLY need it. Rev Bs cant be that far off imho.
     
  4. cubist macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2002
    Location:
    Muncie, Indiana
    #4
    Just to be a contrarian, if a single 1.6 or 1.8 is fast enough for you, they're not going to get any cheaper than they are right now. They'll all be sold out before the new models are eventually released (most expect around the end of March).
     
  5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

    Hemingray

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2002
    Location:
    Ha ha haaa!
    #5
    Definitely wait. You're looking at probably a month's wait, max. Sit on that money, you won't regret it.
     
  6. adamjay macrumors 6502a

    adamjay

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2004
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #6
    i never say "wait for the revision" because most people would get by just fine on a G4 with headroom to spare.

    But seeing as how you are a student.. wait for the Revision and get the educational discount. a dual 2.5ghz with EDU Discount in a month or two will probably cost you as much as a dual 2ghz without the discount. and thats enough justification for having the latest greatest powermac.
     
  7. Grimace macrumors 68040

    Grimace

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2003
    Location:
    with Hamburglar.
    #7
    a thread like this is posted every day. Check around - and decide what YOU *need*.
     
  8. mnstr_trd_sd thread starter macrumors regular

    mnstr_trd_sd

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2004
    Location:
    san diego, ca.
    #8
    i really need a dual processor, a single will not do. i do 3d animation, graphic design, video editing/compositing and web. i went and talked to one of the guys at my local apple store today and he said that i should just buy one right now. he also said that he didn't think revisions are coming out any time soon. do you think he's pulling my leg and just trying to get me to buy now?

    how does everyone know that new revisions are coming out soon?
    (honest question, i really don't know)


    thanks everyone!


    :(
     
  9. Hackcomic.com macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2003
    #9
    I asked this same question back in December and was told "Wait, the new ones are coming out any week now!" I finally got tired of waiting and waiting and waiting and got myself a great 1.8 single with 1.5 gig of Ram for $1699 from macconnection and have never been happier.
     
  10. Koodauw macrumors 68040

    Koodauw

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2003
    Location:
    Madison
    #11
    I think you should wait for the Rev. B to come out. It should be only a month at most, and then maybe a month to get it. Then I would wait untill a few users have posted reviews. Just to see if there is any bugs, or updates from Apple. so thats another month. Well by then your only a few months away from the the promised 3.0 GHz by end of the summer, so you might as well wait for that. Then wait a few months for it to ship, and see if there is any know issues again. By then OSX 10.4 should be getting ready to ship, so you should wait for that. But then you prob want to wait for the G5's to ship with it preloaded, I mean why pay the extra $20? Well then Macworld is just around the corner, and well there might be reversions then too. So definately wait for that. Maybe iLife05 will be announced, and you definately want that, so I would a bit more. So by then you should be good, but wait, is that a rumor of a dual PB G5 I hear? Oh man, you should definitly wait for that...
     
  11. dudewheresmymac macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2004
    #12

    LOL!! :)
     
  12. wordmunger macrumors 603

    wordmunger

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2003
    Location:
    North Carolina
    #13
    Buy it now before you waste the money on pizza and beer. A new dual will do you just fine. If you feel the need for speed when new models come out, you can always sell the old dual and upgrade.
     
  13. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

    Savage Henry

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2004
    Location:
    in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    #14
    Normally I'd say wait.

    And today I am feeling no less normal than I normally am.

    I hope that has helped.
     
  14. mnstr_trd_sd thread starter macrumors regular

    mnstr_trd_sd

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2004
    Location:
    san diego, ca.
    #15
    WoW! there are alot of smart as*es in this forum. thanks to all of you that gave constructive help. for the rest, i as a mac lover and only a newbie to this forum can see why alot of people think less of us.
     
  15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Location:
    Yahooville S.C.
  16. mnstr_trd_sd thread starter macrumors regular

    mnstr_trd_sd

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2004
    Location:
    san diego, ca.
    #17
    i am using a 2002 quicksilver dual 1.4G Powerlogix (originally 933), dual 60G hardrives and one 80G external, 1.5G of ram, 9800 Pro, 15 inch apple studio display, nec multisync xv14 monitor and harman kardon sound sticks and sub.

    all of it lovingly known as zelda.

    i know that it's already a pretty good setup for what i'm doing. it's just that i think that i would be better off having a dual G5 having a faster bus speed and having a 15" studio doesn't really help either. maya requires at least a 20" for proper viewing. After effects and final cut pro would work alot better on a g5 also. as far as all the other programs my g4 would do the trick. also, i am a contractor for a company in san diego doing editing and special effect for a television show. it would be beneficial for me to have g5. like anyone in the profession knows, time is money. the faster i can do it, the more money i save for my client and the more i earn for myself.

    that is why i ask if i should wait for a faster g5 and when does it come out or just get the dual 2.0.

    like i said from one professional to others.

    thank you for the constructive advice.
     
  17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Location:
    Yahooville S.C.
    #18
    Way to go nice set up, I have a Quicksilver2001, 1.47 OWC Merc Extreme,stockdrive,Geforce3 and 1 gig of Mem & Pro Speakers and Isub. Been thinking of a 9800 and 512 more memory and using it another year or two. Only on 10.2.8 are you using Panther and if so what version. suppose to be a little faster then Jag. Quicksilver was one of the best in my view. It was Rev C & D so those seem to be the best. Wait for at least a B machine.
     
  18. mnstr_trd_sd thread starter macrumors regular

    mnstr_trd_sd

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2004
    Location:
    san diego, ca.
    #19
    nice setup. i am still using jaguar 10.2.8 also. how are those mercury extremes? i was going to upgrade to that but i got lucky and had the chance to go power logix. the geforce card were my first choice. i also agree the quicksilvers are awsome. when i get the g5 i am still keeping it. there is nothing like your first mac. especially if its a quicksilver, but thats my opinion
     
  19. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2002
    Location:
    Virginia
    #20
    I would wait. Out of habit, I only buy 1 month after an update. Long enough to get the kinks out of a new product and I avoid buyers remorse for a few months, since it will not be updated anytime soon.
     
  20. Opteron macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2004
    Location:
    South Australia
    #21
    Agreed, wait and if the new ones aren't all they're cracked up to be, then atleast there'll be great prices on the rev-A models.
     
  21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Location:
    Yahooville S.C.
    #22
    Mercury Extreme is a great way to add a few more years and play games with better frame rates. I give it a 9 out of 10. Very Happy with it.I was going to sell mine but now thinking of just maxing out this thing and maybe a alchemy so i can watch Tv on it. Still think anyone putting big money down should wait for a Rev B or C Powermac. Seems like they still have a few bugs to crush in the A models.
     
  22. Mord macrumors G4

    Mord

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2003
    Location:
    UK
    #23
    dont hurt me if you do upgrade to the 9800 you can get lots of $$$ for that geforce 3 because it fits in a cube and the mac ones are rare.

    i've seen them go for $300
     
  23. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #24
    I agree with everyone else, you should wait. You won't regret the decision. I among many others are waiting for the Rev. B Power Mac. There is a possibility that if it's a major upgrade Steve Jobs may want to announce it himself. That would be at the end of June. I also want to purchase a G5, willing to wait till Fall. Hoping that by then the 3.0 will be available, that could be another reason why it may be another three and a half months wait.
     
  24. cubist macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2002
    Location:
    Muncie, Indiana
    #25
    I almost bit on that deal, and now I wish I had. That was a GREAT deal.
     

Share This Page