Got chastised at work for wanting a mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by taeclee99, Jun 6, 2002.

1. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I told my co-workers at work of my intentions of getting a mac laptop (tibook/ibook...I dont which one yet). I was the subject of much ridicule after that point. Basically they spelled out these reasons for dissing the mac.

1. PC's laptops come more fully loaded, cheaper and more feature laden that their mac counterparts.

2. Macs are for people who dont know how to use computers.

3. No guy would dare be seen in public with such "cute" machines...ie macs are for girls

4 Can't play Counterstrike on a mac.

After one hour of facing constant derision by my co-workers...I told them I was getting a dell just to get them off my back.

I thought...Can't we all just get along???

I am unclear of what to do now. I still want the mac but I now have conflicting thoughts...The shroud of the dark side has fallen.

Need some reassurance.

Thanks,

Tae

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Get a TiPB and then watch them all drool. Its not a 'cute' mac and more than handle its own against a Dell. But what will you be using it for? That's the big question? Do you need it or are you making the decision based on looks....

3. taeclee99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Oh where do I start??? I will be using the mac for image editing, dabbling with video, playing games...maybe even get an accompanying ipod. I really want to play all my mame roms on it.

Even if my co-workers might secretly think that the tibook is cool...they will never openly admit it. I bet they will say something like..."No matter how nice that thing looks...it's still a mac" kind of retort.

Heck...I shouldn't care what they think anyhow. I follow that old CHIAT-DAY slogan and "Think Different."

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

If you use FCP for making a movies, that's the machine. I use it for that myself, and its fantastic. Don't worry about what others think, you think different and buy the mac. You never know, it might rub off on someone else and you might start a trend, ha.

If you get the new TiPB, get an external monitor for it, it makes a difference if you have to do the image editing, even though the built in one has decent res.

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I'd also go with the TiBook suggestion... I have one of the new ones, the 800MHz version. I have had more then a few 'die-hard' peecee users comment about how nice it is, and how easy the Mac is to use.

If you intend to get an iPod, then really go for the TiBook.

To help get those peecee butt-heads off your back at work, you could point out how OS X is built on unix. M$ hasn't gone to the stable core of unix yet, but now that Apple has, you know that they will. Considering how m$ has copied the innovations that Apple makes, it won't be long before they do.

Apple systems are far easier to maintain, last longer, which means that they actually cost much less in the long run.

Side note, Travelocity just aired a commercial where I am, and every laptop computer that they show in the ad is obviously a TiBook. You can tell by the screen dimensions, case color, the power button in one shot... Once you know what one looks like, you see them all over the place, even if they cover up the apple on the lid.

6. taeclee99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Thanks guys for your input on this matter. Have you guys tried vpc 5 on the tibook 800? I was thinking of running windows 2000 pro via emulation and was wondering how well it would run. I remember on my old lombard g3 400 vpc 4 ran like a dog.
    I need vpc to mainly run obscure pc progs for my work.

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

From what I have seen, and heard, vpc 5.x with win2k should work out fine for business/work type applications. It won't do as well for games, which are more demanding of hardware, but you still could get by with it. It would be a small investment to have the beauty of the Mac, and the beast of windblows for a much smaller investment then getting one of each.

Take the high road and get the fast, svelt 800MHz TiBook... when you show off your iPod to your co-workers, make sure you have enough towels or a mop for their drool. :D

8. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

Screw them

Anyone who disses my PowerBook will get their arm shattered. I had to put up with a lot of people's crap a few years ago during Apple's dark years. Today, only ignorant PC retards diss the Mac and they give the dumbest reasons why they THINK they are inferior to PC's. Macs do not look girly at all. Like their gray/black PC bricks are really attractive. PLEASE!!!!

Whenever I walk into a computer store these days, I don't even make eye contact with the PC's. I go straight to the Macs. Today, I was in a local computer store, drooling over the new 800 MHz TiBook. I didn't appreciate the store clerks placing a Compaq Presario next to it. What an eye-sore!!! It's like having a really beautiful, expensive house and your neighbors rotting shack and ten rusted car frames in their yard is bringing down your property value.

One more thing...if I ever meet that "Dude, you're gettin' a Dell" kid, I'll kick his teeth down his throat. That should wipe that stupid grin off his face.

LONG LIVE APPLE!!!!!!!

9. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Re: Got chastised at work for wanting a mac

Taeclee, your co-workers have a couple good points and a couple dumb points. If you were to get a Mac and they were to continue to hound you, it would be solely because of jealousy.

Be modest, quiet, objective, polite, and not annoying; buy a Mac; use it; show your co-workers by example that, hey, Macs don't really suck after all. Their computers will break down, while yours chugs away. Their OS will crash, while yours continues its month-long uptime streak. Ask them how much L3 cache their notebooks have; ask them about their display layer's alpha channel; ask them what kind of battery life their notebooks get, how much heat they generate, how loud their fans are. Ask them if they can run Apache, Quicken, Photoshop, Emacs, most Windows software (via VPC), and most classic Mac software all simultaneously... ask them what their computers will be worth in two years. And so on.

If all else fails, just give them a good kick in the nuts. They'll come around.

Alex

10. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

I think you should let other people make your decisions for you, as long as they will accept you for what they want you to be later.

11. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

Don't listen to your dumb-a$$ co-workers

Remember how a decade ago when people say you shouldn't get a Mac because the cutsy point-and-click interface was for dummies? Didn't they say that a "real" computer was a DOS-loaded beige box?

Anyhow, don't listen to your stupid co-workers. Here are my reasons for getting a Mac:

1) People who say Macs cost too much are like people who say you should get a Neon over a BMW because it's cheaper. It makes no sense to look solely to price when buying a car, and it makes no sense to do so when buying a computer. Ask them how much of their time is worth when their Dell or Gateway give them the blue screen of death when they try to plug a peripheral in or spend countless hours trying to install appropriate drivers.

2) Macs do look "cute," I supose, but they also look great. I get such a kick when I bring my TiBook into the office or a cafe and get the envious looks by those pounding away on crappy Dells or Toshibas. Tell your co-worker if they want their computer to look like crap, that's their business.

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

You can also wait for them to get a BSOD and just chuckle and point out how you never get that with your Mac. :D

13. taeclee99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Now I have to make my final decision between the ibook and the tibook. I think tha tibook is the all around better purchase. I mean its fast, powerful, looks awesome. On the other hand...its rather expensive =(.

I got to play around with an ibook at work today. Its the new 600 g3 sahara model with 12 inch screen. I have to admit the thing is pretty sweet. OSX was pretty responsive despite the fast the thing only had 128 megs of ram. The best thing about the ibook is its compact size and it is easy on the wallet.

However, the allure of the tibook can not be denied.

I think I am gonna spring for the tibook.

14. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

The same thing happened to me when I got my iBook 366 until they seen it running MacOS X and Windows 2000 running Adobe Photoshop7.0 at the same time :p they never said a thing after that.

15. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

To squelch the Pcheese lap dogs!

I think that alex_ant has a good point.
    How loud and hot are their pcheese lapdogs?
    When they DONT hear the noise coming out of your Ti which is often silent.
    They will bust a nut wondering how to get the money together to enjoy the calm beauty of the Ti.

Also with an iPod they will see the ease of use to get music and film and all the other iApps working together without problems. They will see you having fun and wonder why they are not having the fun you are at the price of what they paid for their units.

You get what you pay for.

16. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

thereas a threasd here that says ghow to get VPC 5 to work very well and fast. I think in General Mac discussino....i'd get a link for you but I have to go pass out now...:D

17. Choppaface macrumors 65816

i hate it when people hold such predjudices about what kind of computer one uses. its absolutely ridiculous....you might as well listen to some first graders fight over which is the best color or the best number. sorry to hear that

18. iGav macrumors G3

I feel so lucky that everyone I work with, uses a mac natively, and those that do have to use PC's wish they didn't have to.......

Heh heh..... absolutely......... definitely go with the TiBook and avoid that Dell display of public humiliation......... :D :p

19. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Mac vs PC in MAME & MacMAME isn't a good argument anymore

When they only had pentium II and Cyrix/K6 cpus, a 300Mhz G3 would beat the hell out of a 500 or 600Mhz PC at MAME, as soon as the pentium III and athlon came out we've been fighting a losing battle ever since.

Sure, MacMAME is way better than MAME, the interface, the blitter libraries etc.... but run S.T.U.N. Runner for instance and you'll just about get it to play at full speed on the 800MHz TiBook if the performance of the desktops are anything to go by.

PCs with Pentium III or Athlon CPUs were well over the required frame rate on that game long before macs even made it past 500Mhz and could barely run it.

I've been into the macmame scene for ages, I even started a benchmark site about it: MacMAME Benchmarks

The site hasn't been updated in a while, you can find results from more recent macs in this thread on the MacMAME Messageboard and more PC results to compare it with if you have a search on google.

Personally speaking, my 300Mhz G3 plays all the games I enjoy playing anyway, Defender, Galaga etc... but it would be good to have a mac that handle ALL the ROMs just as well as £600 Athlon based PC.

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If Macs are such toys compared to PCs, then howcome it's the PCs that have come in such special edition flavors as: Barbie PC, Hotwheels PC, and the Hello Kitty PC?

Plus the "manliness" of a computer shouldn't be related to the number of times it crashes, needs the OS re-loaded, needs security/service patches, or has the most games available for it.

Then there is the "geek" factor, the Linux crowd is finding that the Mac has it and the PC doesn't.

21. mugent macrumors newbie

iBook or TiBook

two points...

Don't care what others think, get what *you* want, don't give any though to other people's childish opinions.

Get the TiBook, I have the 550 and love it to bits, I also use an iBook at work, the difference is huge, particualary in OSX.

The iBook is a very poor substitute for a TiBook, don't let the clock speeds delude you, in general use, I find my G4 to 5-10 times faster than the iBook.

I expect the new Radeon ibooks are better, but the old Rage ones are pretty awful.

Spend the extra on the G4, I did, and haven't regretted it for a moment, I cannot think of a computer I'd rather have than my TiBook.

Also, the build quality of iBooks is very poor, we have 3 at work, and 2 have developed problems.

22. awulf macrumors 6502

I have a PowerBook 100 and I still use it. When I take it to school (rarely) to do some typing on other kids pay me out over the laptop but it doesn't disturb me. Some are even jelous (I think) because they don't have a lap top at all.

When a person says that the mac is Cr@p, I ask them why and I usually beat them in the debate about Mac vs PC.

23. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

OK this may make you feel better. I am a 2K server admin, and all the people at work heckled me about wanting an iBook for work. I finally convinced my boss that the iBook would do everything that I needed it to do, plus more. Well, so comes the iBook. Now, everyone in the office drools over the thing daily. I run iTunes while VPC is running, and Citrix server is as well. I have all my pics in iPhoto, and we edited the companies new comercial on it using iMovie. My neighbor is going Mac, his best friend, the guy accross the street.

Get the TiBook. You will love it, and tell all the PC clones to ****.

24. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

OBVIOUSLY, purple and 4...

25. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

look at work we have macs and pcs....well the speakers for the pc werent working and after like 20 minutes of trouble shooting...nothing. So I said F it and plugged them into the macs...worked right away and I now am listening to music..

Laughed at my PC friend a whole lot...."see how easy it is" I said...

That alone is reason enough to get the mac!:cool: