GOT FIBER!!! 100mpbs but.......

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by forthebrave, Jan 13, 2005.

  1. forthebrave macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2004
    #1
    FIBER IS GREAT!!! but.... I've noticed that the greatness of it mostly with my upstream rather than my down. I can download faster than when I had ADSL but my UPLOAD IS CRAZY!!! I sent my friend a 700 mb file in like 15 min.!!!!! Just wondering if there is some kind of setting that can make my download faster, I always thought down was faster than up??? why should everyone besides myself be benefiting from my FIBER CONNECTION??
     
  2. emw macrumors G4

    emw

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2004
    #3
    So is your download still at least as fast as your upload? I would think that perhaps with a fiber connection, they would be equal, unlike the artificially restricted DSL or cable modem setups.
     
  3. Wes macrumors 68020

    Wes

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2001
    Location:
    London
    #4
    Where in the world are you? I think in London the max you can get is 12mbit...
     
  4. forthebrave thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2004
    #6
    JAPAN!! they are so advanced here!! It's FIBER or nothing!!!!! Cheap too! I pay like $40~$50 a month....
     
  5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    #7
    How does it get from the wall to the Mac?
    What kind of socket/cable/modem-thingy does it use?
     
  6. Windowlicker macrumors 6502a

    Windowlicker

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2003
    Location:
    Finland
    #8
    Seems like I have to move there some day! ;) Well actually that might very well happen since I'll most likely be starting my studies of Japanese language and coulture at the university next fall :)
     
  7. mcs37 macrumors regular

    mcs37

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #9
    I want fiber!!!!

    Where can I get it? Broadbandreports.com and other places only log little broadband like DSL and cable.
     
  8. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2004
    Location:
    Perth, WA, Australia
    #10
    start rant:

    people and their fibre australians are always last to get it like itunes and then telstra is going to sell it so it will be overpriced and ah damm it

    :end rant :D on a more serious note

    could it have been the website? or maybe your isp had a bottleneck their for a while.
     
  9. hcuar macrumors 65816

    hcuar

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2004
    Location:
    Dallas
    #11
    Not to be a spoil sport... but I did a little calculation over at google... Asuming you downloaded 700 mb in 15 minutes:

    46 (megabytes per minute) = 6.13333333 megabits per second

    Not shabby, but people... Sheesh... I was getting 4 megabits per second off of a cable modem in Phoenix, AZ. I get 3.5 megabits per second in the middle of nowhere Iowa.

    Granted, that's a great connection... Just not the best I've heard.
     
  10. forthebrave thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2004
    #12
    true that! Actually Japan advertises FIBER at 100mbps, but once again that depends on how close or far you are from the source. I know I'm not getting the whole 100mbps!! I don't think anybody right now can , unless you live right next door to the source.
     
  11. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

    aussie_geek

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2004
    Location:
    Sydney Australia
    #13
    Ditto about Telstra mate, It really sux that we are governed by one Telco in this country. The philosophy down here is 'if Telstra doesn't do it - then we don't either'

    aussie_geek
     
  12. jsw Moderator emeritus

    jsw

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2004
    Location:
    Andover, MA
    #14
    You got that uploading?!? If so, that's stunning here in the States. He sent the file at that speed.
     
  13. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

    Phat_Pat

    Joined:
    May 8, 2004
    Location:
    I Live Where I Live
    #15
    that speed is just outragous. hopefully it'll hit the states soon (cheaply) :D
     
  14. imac abuser macrumors 6502a

    imac abuser

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2004
    #16
    I work for a cable internet isp, and i notice that too. Where the upload exceeds the down which seems retarded because you would think it would be the other way around. I'll look into it more and post back

    chris
     
  15. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2004
    Location:
    Perth, WA, Australia
    #17
    yeah! :D i reckon 98% of australians agree, the other 2% either have shares in telstra or work for em!
     
  16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

    obeygiant

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2002
    Location:
    totally cool
    #18
    try cereal
     

Share This Page