Got mac G4 now what software?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nightsky, Mar 17, 2007.

1. nightsky macrumors member

First time mac user G4, 1.67ghz, 2gb ram, 15.1 rev5...just received it. For photography, layout and pasteup applications what software do I need? The notebook did not come with iphoto, just some photo album? I am not interested in itunes, garage band, only a graphic app came with it. Is any of this iLife, iWork, .mac, Aperature worth buying? I bought a D40 and Nikon Picture Perfect Project1.7 is junk? I'm confused, thought mac would come with at least 1 good basic photo app? Please help:eek: Thanks

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I'm assuming you bought it used. All Macs come with iLife and have for a long time. Whoever sold it to you should have given you the System Restore disks, which include OS X, iLife, and the other bundled software. If you didn't get them, you got ripped off.

3. nightsky thread starter macrumors member

Its Apple Refurb and I do have 2Discs

My mistake I have 2Discs and iLife '05 is installed, I found it. There is also Art Directors Tool Kit 4 and Graphic Converter, is this all I will need? When I opened iLife it said there is a ver6, do I need to upgrade it? Thanks

4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

No, if I were you, I'd just stick with '05. For one thing, iLife '07 should be out soon. iLife '05 will work fine though. Graphic Converter is a pretty good photo manipulation/drawing program.

5. nightsky thread starter macrumors member

Suggestions for learning to use new tools

Thanks. I feel lost in mac and all this digital stuff. Any suggestions to speed up transition to a point of productivity? :confused: