Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmg

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2003
MA
Woot!!! After getting my tracking number 3 days before the unit actually shipped, and trying to get Airborne express to admit they ahd lost it ;), my beastie finally arrived at my door step this morning at 11:20 EST! Pictures and Xbench to follow.

willmg

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2003
MA
First Impressions

Silent! I mean quiet, copying a full CD no noise at all from the drive! Slower then my desktop but thats ok still fast enough. This baby is pretty, for a while I was tempted to get a Centrino with radeon 9600 or FX5650 but luckily I waited for this to come out. Startup pretty damn quick, about 10x faster than my old Pismo and shutdown only takes about 15 secs. Speakers are suprisingly nice for a laptop and the keyboard is nice as well, though not as excited over it as most people seem to be(never used Ti keyboard so maybe my expectations are different).

willmg

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2003
MA
Laptop from front

Attachments

• laptopfront.jpg
    laptopfront.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 415

willmg

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2003
MA
System Setup

1.25 G4
1x512 PC 2700
4200rpm 80GB
Superdrive

X Bench Scores

CPU=148.88

Thread Test= 79.80

Mem Test= 115.07

Quartz Test=141.50

Opengl=98.40

User Int= 126.84

Disk test= 65.90

So Not bad, but could definetly improve overall performance with a 7200rpm drive upgrade, as disk performance was by far the worst statistic.

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Sweet! Question for you, when closed, how flush does the lid get against the keyboard? The Tibooks had a major problem with the keys leaving imprints on the display.

stoid

macrumors 601
As another reference to those who are still waiting...

When did you place your orders, and what is the info that you got from Airborne? When did it list in Taiwan and Shipper's Door? Also did you get standard shipping or express 2 day shipping?

THANKS for the info!!!

stoid

macrumors 601
Originally posted by dswoodley
Sweet! Question for you, when closed, how flush does the lid get against the keyboard? The Tibooks had a major problem with the keys leaving imprints on the display.

Supposedly thats why the 15incher gained a .1 inch so that there would be a small gap inbetween the keyboard and monitor so that it would leave imprints.

Still waiting on my book to arrive, but it's in the states at least, so I should get it tomorrow or early next week!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

willmg

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2003
MA
Hey first, the lid isnt completely flush, no wobbling like some have mentioned, but there is a definite gap. Second I got an email saying it shipped Monday, but Airborne couldnt get any info on it till Tuesday at 5pm when it was picked up In IL at an Apple location. It said 1 day from Taiwan to IL ... cool! In terms of my shipping I took standard ground, then went to call and upgrade but the apple guy said dont bother as they are shipping 3 day international from Taiwan to catch up on your original shipping estimate! Woot cool free upgrade I guess.

dxp4acu

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Texas
uh, why do you even shut it down? I thought it was better for OS X to just been on sleep. My windows friends can't believe how long my 12" takes to start up, but then again, they have to start up everytime. When I open my lid after that, they are amazed! It's... already on!!!

Have fun!
The Dingo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.