Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2004
Well I got my power book today. I am posting this on my windows box. All I have had time to do is to update it to panther. Can't wait to really start using it though. I guess that will have to be Sunday, I will keep everyone posted. The PB is in immaculate shape and looks brand new. It came in the brown apple refurb box, with a panther system install and restore CD, ilife 04, cables, the only thing it did not come with is the manual, it came with a powermac G4 manual. I am just going to call apple and see if they will send me one. Thanks for everyone's advice, I cannot wait to get it up and going.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Congratulations! You got a great computer and you are going to be having a lot of fun!

Welcome to Macintosh my friend :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Congratz.

There's nothing like a new computer, even if its not actually "new". Why wait to play around with it? From the anticipation, I tried to unwrap my 12" PB when I was driving home with it. I don't recommend doing that. ;)

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2004
Well I had company coming to visit for the weekend. I had to do quite a bit of manual labor. But, this is officially my first post with the powerbook. This thing is pretty smooth. I have noticed that I think it needs a little more RAM. I think I will have to get another stick of 512MB for it. I have my mail up and going, however, I do need to move all my windows stuff over, i.e. moving my vcards over from outlook and moving all the photos and tunes over from my pc to an external harddrive I bought. Which leaves me one question, how can I share my windows folder with my mac?

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
ToddW said:
Which leaves me one question, how can I share my windows folder with my mac?

This is pretty simple. Share your folder in windows as you normally would.
Now on your mac, click on the "Go" menu and select "Connect to server"
Type in the ip address of your pc and hit "Connect"

For instance: smb://192.0.6.8

This will bring up a list of shares to connect to.

Hope this helps

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2004
thanks for the help I figured it out. I cannot believe how easy it was.

Ozi

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2004
Melbourne, Australia.
thats because its a mac... superior design, my friend, superior design.

Its probably easier to connect your PB to your PC than a PC to your PC! :eek: :D

well done on your purchase... enjoy it!

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
This reminds me of when I was still using windows ....95

*dodges rotten fruit thrown at him*

and one of my friends in college, a Mac person, bought a pc.

*dodges more rotten fruit*

He put a floppy in and said "Now what? Where is it?" I told him how you had to go to My Computer and manually double click on the 3.5" icon to open it. He was pretty unhappy and kept complaining about how everything was so difficult. It went on for the next hour as I showed him around winsnooze95. OS 7.5 was so much easier to use at that time...

TDT

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2004
University of Iowa - Iowa
5300cs said:
This reminds me of when I was still using windows ....95

*dodges rotten fruit thrown at him*

and one of my friends in college, a Mac person, bought a pc.

*dodges more rotten fruit*

He put a floppy in and said "Now what? Where is it?" I told him how you had to go to My Computer and manually double click on the 3.5" icon to open it. He was pretty unhappy and kept complaining about how everything was so difficult. It went on for the next hour as I showed him around winsnooze95. OS 7.5 was so much easier to use at that time...

There are some times when mounting something automatically is a bad thing, too. I will probably leave whatever option there is to keep it automounting on the mac, but for testing - having something auto mount is a very bad thing sometimes.

Lets take an example, I get a disk from someone I don't know - I have a feeling that it contains a virus or a trojan. Many times, even if a virus scanner doesn't detect anything, I'll check it out in a virtual machine. Using a virtual machine to check files helps to make sure they don't infect the host PC. Macs, from what I hear, are not very prone to viruses (like linux), so this isn't as big of a problem but I'm sure that if anything autolaunches (like installing a program from a CD - insert and it auto starts), then viruses can be made somewhat simple.

For ease of use, though, auto mounting is a nice feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.