Got my 17" this morning...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by cr2sh, Apr 9, 2003.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Well, CompUSA is offering 12months same as cash and I couldn't pass it up... walked out of there this morning with my 17" Powerbook. It was the only one they had in stock, and the first one any of the employees had seen in person. Where do I buy a carrying case for this massive thing? Any suggestions? :)

First REAL (non-Dell) laptop I've ever owned... I'm so excited. :D There was so much envy walking out of CompUSA and folks looking at me... hehe.

In other news, the new job is going great.. though I still have yet to figure out a good ISP solution. I've relocated to Dayton for good.. I want to go high speed again but since I'm only home like 1week a month, I really hate to pay $50 a month. On the other hand, a nation wide dial-up service wouldnt be bad.. but if I'm going to pay $25 a monthy for a home phone line and $15 for dial up.. I might as well just fork down $50 a month and stick with my cell phone. Earthlink is running a 6months half price deal, so I might go with that... I'll be in South Dakota next week most likely.. talk to you guys after that, let you know if I'm having any problems.

2. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Congrats on you PB!

As for the ISP, I have Earthlink Dial-up and it has been great. I like it much better than AOL!

3. pcuserx macrumors member

I always wondered why high speed internet is so expensive outside of Canada. Here high speed costs less than major dailup providers. $50 USD is alot. Unless by high speed you mean a T1 connection.

Oh well, it could be worse. In Australlia (even large towns/cities) 10 hours of dailup a month costs as much as my high speed DSL.

4. WilliamGates macrumors member

If you have marks from the LCD frame appear on the edge of your handrest, some people buy the protector from radtech.com but I purchased the LCD frame cushions:

I have updated the webpage with better pics of the Radtech cushions. Only two seem to keep the LCD frame marks away. Time will tell. The top seems a bit more flush with the bottom when closed also.

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum34.html

But you may not even need any of this if you see no marks. Congrats and enjoy your new 17"

-Bill

5. cubist macrumors 68020

Hey William, as a still-possessor of a 15", that part about removing the paint and polishing the hinge is kinda cool. I thot those parts were plastic. More details? And BTW why do you guys want a carrying case for the 17"? I haven't seen one yet, but if it's like the 12", it doesn't need a carrying case - it's built like a Zero case already!

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

www.timbuk2.com has some nice sleeves designed for it, check em out. i have their sleve and their bag and i love it.

iJon

7. jcampa macrumors newbie

Congratulations

I bought mine at the Houston's apple store and they sell me a BRENTHAVEN
    briefcase for my 17", and is great.

8. WilliamGates macrumors member

Very funny cubist, but in a way you are right. All my 17" needs is an long aluminum handle like the ones they make for the Ti.
    I used paint remover to strip the flaking hinge paint, which revealed very rough metal. Then I found the MAAS metal polish in a Walgreens drug store. Frankly I would not do it again (not that I will ever have to now...) But it is wiser to send it in to Apple if it is in warranty. After about 5 consecutive times sending it in to them they finally got it right. It was comming back with additional problems like a broken USB port, misaligned hinges, a big ugly scratch on the top of my Ti. Totally inexcusable; he must have left a screw under my Ti while he worked on it. I sure hope they fired the apathetic clown tech who worked on it.

9. Wano macrumors 6502

Yeah timbuk2 laptop sleeves are so sweet! I have one for my Powerbook.

10. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, I hate you... :D

(A UK Mac fanatic STILL waiting for his 17")

Congrats, I hope you'll be very happy together.

I have a Brenthaven backpack with internal sleeve on the same order, I use a Kipling Hacker for the TiBook, but it's a tad too small for the 17"

11. Riko19 macrumors member

ok i feel the same way hehehe!

im still waiting for mine since 8 th january! darnit.

(does a jigg while waiting) ;)

12. steveg56 macrumors newbie

How about a Tmobile Hotspot account?

HEY SINCE YOU SEEM TO BE OUT OF TOWN SO OFTEN HOW ABOUT A TMOBILE ACCOUNT THAT YOU CAN PRETTY MUCH USE WHEREVER YOU ARE. I THINK YOU CAN GET UNLIMITED USAGE FOR ABOUT $40/MO. CHECK IT OUT, IT SEEM RIGHT DOWN YOUR ALLEY!

13. steveg56 macrumors newbie

TMOBILE BTW IS PROVIDED AT MOST STARBUCKS NATIONWIDE

IN CASE YOU DID NOT KNOW THAT.

14. jaguarx macrumors regular

It's right up your alley, not down. Can you *please* not SHOUT it's rude and annoying.

15. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

you are on the internet too much if that bothers you ;)

16. nanosound macrumors regular

I have DSL at home, but I might spring for the 10 cents a minute plan to check email at Starbucks if I need to. They mention that this is also available at bookstores. Anyone know of this?

17. janey macrumors 603

janey

get a whole bunch of people in your neighborhood and do a neighborhood wide wireless network and share a fast DSL thing like what i'm doing right now...dsl from covad (adsl, 3mb/384kb upload i think) which is kinda $$$ for one person but is really cheap (cheaper than AOL) for a bunch of people.

18. Riko19 macrumors member

you do realise that it may be available but is free temporarily dont you know that? its gonna cost summing like 8$ to surf for like 2hrs i think, dunno about bookstores but i kow other places in uk are chargind rates hourly that you pay in areas, i wonder how they charge you? when ur outside n stuff? hmmnn strange but i know the onlyy one free at the momont in k is starbucks but only to see if it does well then they will charge for using that too.

:( :( :( :( :(