Got my 2Mb Cable connection!

Discussion in 'Community' started by edesignuk, May 16, 2003.

1. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Finally, the UK have a broadband connection that can rival that of US ADSL lines/cable connections (I say this from reading this thread). Blueyonder 2Mb is finally here, and I have just upgraded :D
    I now connect @ around 2500Kb/s (downloads' of around 315KB/s!), and it's freakin fantastic!

...one small downside though, they haven't increased the UL speed, still 256Kb/s...oh well...I'm still VERY happy :D :) :D :) :cool:

2. macrumors 6502

Oh that's nice! I thought I was fast with my 1.75 Mbit cable connection.. :D

Too bad your upload isn't a bit faster, the songs I stream from your iTunes share keep on stalling. :(

3. macrumors regular

Just curious, I'm on NTL Broadband 512k, do they give you a fixed IP address on Blueyonder so that you can run a server. NTL do but at a big increase in monthly subscription.

Enjoy your 2mb, I'm going to increase to 1mb very soon. Very nice for movies etc

4. thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sadly no, it's DHCP, but it VERY rarely changes, I have had the same IP for months :)

5. macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Coolness.

I'm getting Time Warner Roadrunner service soon. Wahahahahaha! I can just feel the power! Wahahahahhaha! World domination's soon at hand -- I -- uh -- oh, I said that out loud, didn't I? heh! :D

6. macrumors 65816

mrjamin

I have a 1mbit/s NTL cable line - my IP hasn't changed in six months. Running my own server here! Have got a rather nice collection of MP3s/DivX movies that i share with my friends, but someone started shouting their mouth off about it and word spread - i've had to password protect it as i had about 30 people connection to it yesterday (getting downloads of 0.7KB/s)- NTL only allow 10GB transfer every month and i'd nearly tripled it last month!! Oopsie

7. macrumors P6

wdlove

Re: Got my 2Mb Cable connection!

What is the cost of your cable service?

8. thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: Re: Got my 2Mb Cable connection!

£50 a month, pretty damn good for the UK.

9. macrumors 6502a

springscansing

I pay $35 a month for 1mbps access and I max out around 800k/sec down, 500k/sec UP. I love living in a semi-rural area... cheap cheap access, really really fast.

10. macrumors regular

I've never monitored my IP address with NTL so I wonder how long my stays the same for.

11. macrumors 603

OutThere

dammit, another person jumps ahead of my pathetic "t1" :p

12. thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'd rather have a T1; 1500Mbps DL / 1500Mbps UL, I'd much rather take a 500Mbps DL cut for a 1500Mbps UL. I say lucky you!

13. macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Re: Re: Re: Got my 2Mb Cable connection!

From what I've heard about broadband in the U.K. that does sound pretty good. I've a a 2Mb/256Kb connection too, and it rocks.

For $82.95 a month I get:
    -2Mbps cable
    -Premium Analog Cable
    -Digital Basic (TechTV, IFC, Sundance, etc.)
    -Digital HBO
    -Digital box, modem rental

That's a pretty good package, I think, although you can go for every channel they offer for $102.95 a month.

14. macrumors 603

shadowfax

i refuse to let you make me feel bad about my 1200Mbps DSL with 128 k UL. grrrr... :D

15. macrumors G4

*slaps edesignuk*

<--dial-up user...[​IMG]

16. macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm confident that cable or DSL is in your future vinow. Take a slow deep breath, be patient. It will truly happen sooner than you think! ;)

17. macrumors 6502a

vouder17

You guys are all sooo much luckier than me , we have just recently got ISDN 64k , it is damn slow, and expensive but it is the best u can get around here.
    I think by the time we get ADSL, T1 etc , i will most probably be long gone, from this country!!!

18. thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm so sorry vniow, I feel for you, really I do :D ;) :eek:

19. macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

DSL in rural Kansas

I finally got DSL (long story) two weeks ago. We live about two miles away from a tiny town that has DSL in a rural area. I get 384 kbps down and 128 kbps up. It costs $42.45 (weird, right).

It's not the fastest (I could pay more for more down speed) and it is a little expensive, but it is worth it. Now, I can host my own domain here (with DynDNS.org help), get my music files to work, view pictures from other peoples homes. Surfing the internet is a breeze and I don't have to wait for the modem to dial in and get connected. It's instantly on.

20. macrumors 68040

tazo

i wish I had cable. once i get a job part of my money is going towards cable.

21. macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Sweet

That sounds pretty good!

I use roadrunner, I get about 2.5 megabit down, and .5 megabit up. I dont see why they dont vie you atleast 1 megabit upload. .5 megabit is cheesy. Oh well.

22. macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I don't know if I could ever go back to dial-up. Sometimes I feel that my cable connection is even slow...imagine going back to a dial up connection!!!!

23. macrumors 6502

im still on a 56k modem here in ireland.Im just waiting for esat bt to release adsl,should be here by the end of this month.Still the 56k isnt too bad,im managing to sustain about 5Kb/s most of the time.

24. macrumors 604

scem0

as do I. Dial up is hell. Truly is.

I often get speeds of 500k and above.

What do y'all get of cnet's bandwidth meter?

link

I just got 2,009 kbps.

25. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

bah, my connection blows compared to you... :(

edit: scemo that test aint true, my 56 friend tried and got over 128ISDN :eek: