Got my first Apple iPhoto Book!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by idkew, Jan 3, 2003.

1. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    This thing is pretty cool. I ordered a 10 page book with a blue cover. it is great. the photos look nice, a bit blurry, but i did use a low end 3.2mp digital camera.

I would definitly recommend one to anyone who has been thinking about getting one.

i was most surprised with its size. i know i read its dimentions, but it is much larger than i thought it would be.

if anyone wants a photo of how it looks, let me know.

2. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I'd love to see what the books really look like, thanks.

3. alset macrumors 65816

alset

How long did it take for shipping?

BTW - Anyone who has never seen an iPhoto book should make a trip to an Apple Store. If not, look at the iPhoto guy in one of the Switch ads. He is holding a book.

If all else fails, leave your job/school, house/apt, loved ones and responsibilities behind and head out to MWSF. If Apple doesn't have them there this time you will be near three or four Apple Stores, providing a high likely-hood that you will be able to find an iPhoto book at one of them.

Dan

4. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

here come photos

well, here is the front, with a cd to show size.

the book is a picture book of my parents garden. the title is a bit of a joke. our house is no estate.

if you look closely you can see one of the shar pei pups on the four photo spread.

it was probably a week between ordering it and receiving it. pretty quick i would say.

Attached Files:

5. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

a page with three photos.

Attached Files:

6. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

and a four photo spread...

Attached Files:

• four.jpg
      four.jpg
      File size:
      89.1 KB
      Views:
  7. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

and a macro... maybe the blurryness is not from my pop's camera....

Attached Files:

8. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

yet another macro. still a bit blurry, but these are blow ups from a powershot s45, a 4mp high end camera. so, you will always get the dots at full telephoto macros. these are roughly 98% size. the purple tree is really about 2.5 inches wide.

Attached Files:

9. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

and apple's shameless logo page.

Attached Files:

• logo.jpg
      logo.jpg
      File size:
      62.7 KB
      Views:
  10. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

and finally the back...

Attached Files:

• back.jpg
      back.jpg
      File size:
      90.6 KB
      Views:
  11. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

and the width. that cd is about 16 inches behing the corner of book. its about .5 inches thick.

Attached Files:

12. medea macrumors 68030

medea

looks great, can't wait until we have enough photos ready to make our first book.

13. .a macrumors regular

it really looks great and sort of professional. how much was it? is it also available in europe/switzerland?
    .a

14. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

check apple's web site for availability. my guess is yes, as long as you are willing to pay a bit more for shipping.

it is $30 US for a 10 page book with each additional page being $3. That includes quick shipping, expidited shipping costs more.

i would say it looks very professional. if i were a photo business, i would try to sell these books to people who hire me for events.

I definitly think that if you have important photos, a book is well worth the price. My parents liked the one i got for them so much I am in the process of making one of the new shar pei puppies, at their request.

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

US/Canada Only

My (UK) iPhoto tells me that books can only be delivered to addresses within the US and Canada. Not fair :(

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

hey i have a question. I'm looking to get a 4mp digital camera soon and the s45 has been the best one I have read about. Cnet gave the s40 the best review out of all the 4mp so i assumed the s45 was just a better featured one. If you can tell me how you like it i would appreciate it.

iJon

17. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

The Canon G3 is much much better then the S45. Honestly I looked at the G3 the S45 and the S230 and when it came down to it the G3 and S45 just didn't cut it for true photo quality so I went with useability and in that situation the S230 wins hands down. The difference in the end prints between a 3.2MP camera and a 4MP camera isn't all that great. To really make 4MP look better then 3.2 you need to have something like a G3 with total manual control like a high end SLR camer has.

You can't beat having the camera with you everywhere you go. I take pictures of things I never thought I would simply because I have it with me. Where as if I had an S45 or G3 I wouldn't want to carry it with me everywhere I go. On the other hand if you are looking for a true photo quality and the ability to produce near flawless 8x10s you need a minimum of an 8MP camera. For my needs the 3.2MP's of the S230 turn out some very nice photo prints.

18. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I looked at the g3 as well, i can afford it but I dont want to spend that much on a camera. let me tell you guys what i will be using my camera for and you can tell me if it will be an overkill what i am getting. All i want to do is take nice big pictures of just random things. like scenery or events or me and my girlfriends, just the usual stuff. I will want to be able to make an iphoto book without getting the low resolution symbol. I have an epson 785epx and i will want to print out 8 1/2x11 photos. my dad has nikon coolpix 995 which i think is roughly 3 or 3.3. I think it makes beautiful pictures and that is exactly what i want. Since i like that 3.3 so much, would that s45 with a 4mp be an overkill for me?

iJon

19. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

It wouldn't be overkill but an S230 is much better for random pictures. Because of the size it will be mroe likely that you will have it with you all the time as I do. I just sent off 75 photos to apple for kodak prints and it only told me low res on a few of them that were taken with an S100.

20. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

i would highly recomend the s45 over the 230. highly. you do have full manual control of everything. it has hundreds of options available to you. you can take amazingly great photos in any condition with it. the s230 does not have as many of these controls, therefore it is smaller, and is not near as versatile.

the s40 vs s45 is a nice upgrade. i was originally going to get the s40, until nearly everyone sold out of them. the s45 has a new digic processor which has better algorhythims to store photos, it is faster... just better.

i like the g3, but it is too big. i wanted the size of the s230, with 4mp, so i settled on the superb s45. the g3 is nice since it has a flah hot shoe, and accepts differet lenses, but i think if i want to get that high end i will get a DSLR, not a mini SLR.

my reccomendation to you- get a canon, or maybe a nikon.

check outdpreview.com , they have an amazing mass of knowledge there. each of the three camers i have taked about are reviewed in a 16-20 page examination. there are links to other people's reviews also. if i remember correctly, all three got the best rating, highly reccomended, which i also agree with.

but ultimately, i think you would be happiest with the s45. also- you can get it for a few hundred less than the $799 or so retail. just make sure you are buying a US version with a full warranty from cannon and the entire accessory set. there are a ton of shady sellers out there. learn how to spot them before purchasing.

21. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

There are lots of websites that have digital camera reviews like:

Steve's Digicams www.steves-digicams.com
    Digital Camera Resource www.dcresource.com
    Imaging Resource www.imaging-resource.com

that have reviews and sample pictures. You really can't go wrong with either Canon digital camera, but the s230 or the s30 or s45 are small enough to take with you all of the time.

You should also stop in at any camera/electronics store and try them out.

Glenn

22. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

reviews

g3 reviews:

link
    link2

s45 reviews:
    link
    link2

s230 review:
    link

read ALL thouse before making a purchase. browse around those web sites also. use their camera finders. study up.

after about 2 months of reading up, i settled on the s45. i hope that tells you how much i reccomend it.

23. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

thanks man, im still deciding. i work at an apple dealer so we order directly from canon. the 230 is tempting because of its size and because i can get it a hundred dollars less than the s45. i just want a camera i can take pictures with without getting film developed, andi want to make an iphoto book and just basic things. i think this camera will be perfect. i know how a 3.x camera looks because of my dads coolpix 995, beautiful pictures. i got ime to think though, canon doesnt have any of the cameras i want in stock so i have lots of time. thanks for everyones help. if anyone else has one of these two cameras i love to hear what you have to say for them, i know the mac communtiy wont lie.

iJon

24. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well guys, ive sat down and thought about what i would use the camera for. i got a chance to go to best buy and just check them out before i talk to canon about ordering. i think im gonna go with macbandit because i love the smallness of the camera. there is no dount in my mind that the s45 is a much better camera. for the close up pictures i will be taking i think the s230 will be fine for me. plus i save 100 dollars. thank you for all your input.

iJon

25. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I wouldn't say that the S45 is much better but there are trade offs to everything with the extra functions comes size. Also the S230 uses the same chip technology as the S45 and has the fast processor etc.. It's just smaller.

You will not be upset with the S230 the pictures from it will definitely look better then that of the coolpix. Simply because of the new chip in it. It has amazing color accuracy and is amazingly fast for a camera of this level.

If you want to see photos that I have taken using my S230 check out my website.

http://homepage.mac.com/louiskst