Got my first crash today

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by starrin, Mar 29, 2005.

1. starrin macrumors member

Aug 22, 2004
    So I woke up this morning ... opened up my PB (it was in Sleep), hit the get mail on the mail program and BLAMO -- a bunch of text started over - writing the graphics on the desktop -- talking about System Failure -- it was locked after that -- i held down the power button and rebooted -- it is fine now.

I have had this machine a about 16 months -- this is the first time -- so no biggie. But I will ask -- "Should I be concerned?"
  2. bostonwhaler1 macrumors member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Overall, I wouldn't really be concerned. Kernel Panics (which is the type of crash you had) do happen on occasion. However, it's standard practice to start asking a few questions when these happen. These are the three most common questions:

-Did you install any new software lately?
    -Have you repaired permissions on your HD lately (this should be done semi-regularly)?
    -Has your hardware configuration changed lately (ie. adding RAM, etc.)?

If any one or more of these question is true, then start looking down that avenue as the potential cause of the crash. Chances are that you won't see another KP for a while, but no matter what, have a backup!!! You can never be too cautious!

Best of luck.
  3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    That's exactly what it feels like the first time it happens.

Not the gently-increasing disappointment of a stubborn spinning beachball but this freakishly sudden event which looks really worrying.
  4. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Congrats! First time for everything. I hope you enjoy your experiences.
  5. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
  6. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    *POP* goes the cherry. :p :D :eek:

No, but usually the Kernal Panics are masked over by a big grey screen asking for you to hold down the power button in a bunch of different languages. You crashed so hard it didn't even have time to display the graphic.
  7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Nearly every hard crash causes some amount of disk damage. Whenever this happens, you should test and repair it by whatever means you prefer. I find the easiest way is to restart in Single User Mode (reboot, and hold down cmd-s until you see text on the screen). Then, at the prompt, type:

fsck -f [including the space; and return]

When it's finished, at the prompt, type:

reboot [return]
  8. starrin thread starter macrumors member

Aug 22, 2004
    Thank you all -- I just did the fsck -f ... everything is running as before.

No new hardware ... however I do development on my machine -- so there is a database and appserver running.... plus it was coming out of sleep mode.
  9. Bali Cockfight macrumors regular

Aug 17, 2002
    Chi Town
    I had a kernel panic a few months ago and the people on this forum were very helpful. I thought my baby was dying but she simply had a hiccup problem. It's weird because my Powerbook had its kernel panic when it came out of sleep too.