Got my first iPod....and lost it in 24hrs, doh!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mpw, Mar 8, 2007.

1. mpw Guest

I got myself a fantastic 80Gb vPod recently. Owned it long enough to load some games onto it and spend another £25 on a protective case before leaving it in the coffee shop:(

...but here's the killer blow; The next morning I reached for the iPod and knew instantly where I'd left it, so I phoned the coffee shop and asked if they had a white iPod in a black leather wallet with red stitching. The STUPID girl on the phone shouts across the shop to her colleague "Have we had a white iPod in a black leather case with red stitching handed in?" I heard her do this and thought, duh! but let it go as I knew the girl and knew she's as thick as you like and always screwing up orders (partly 'cause her english is rubbish)

I was over the moon when she said yes it was behind the counter and said I'd be in in a couple of hours for it, and thanked her.:)

A couple of hours later I called in to find out that someone had come to the counter 5mins. after I called and described the iPod to her and she had given it to them, grrrrr:mad:

So what's the shortest time you've owned something of value before losing it?

2. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

oh my gosh what a dumb skank! :mad: .. but for me... i received a rolex as a gift from my dad... So i am an avid diver....i was in the water about 15 feet on south island and i was rolling up my sleeve and some how i moved the watch so it came off and fell the 30 feet... i couldnt find it o nhe ocean floor :( it had been 30 minutes

3. Cepe Indicum macrumors regular

Seriously? :confused: For 48 hours after I got my first iPod, I didn't put it down! And btw, I'd be playing hell with the coffee shop on this one!

Counting myself very lucky that I haven't lost anything of that kinda value.

4. mpw thread starter Guest

I'd played it till the battery was done, then taken the earphones out to listen too iTunes from my MacBook. I'd put the iPod on the seat between me and my bag then surfed for a couple of hours. I had a bit of an 'upset' with somebody and stormed out like a brat. Can't blame the coffee shop really as I was a careless twunt, but I have asked for the girl to be sacked just to make me feel better.

5. dcv macrumors G3

That girl should have been sacked a long time ago!

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

One word... starts and ends with T and has an 'i' in the middle.

7. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

8. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

No disrespect, but remind me not to lend anything of value to a Demi-god or goddess.

9. mpw thread starter Guest

Tiniest? No it was the biggest, the 80Gb vPod :( I've replaced it now with a nano as I couldn't afford/justify another vPod right now, and as it happens I love my nano, just wish I could play Bejeweled on it. The nano's still not the tiniest though.

10. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Have you spoken to her to let her know what she did? Maybe she's taken it for her own pocket and just said that someone has already taken it!

Does the coffee shop have a surveillance camera or anything like that so you can check who came in at what time and could have possibly claimed it? If so, watch out for them coming to the coffee shop again ...

Flag the serial number with Apple so if it is ever in for repair, they'll know it is stolen.

11. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Uhm... you could have given her your name on the phone to prevent someone coming up to the counter and try to claim the iPod as his or hers...

12. mpw thread starter Guest

Yeah I thought about it at the time, but stoopidly didn't 'cause getting anything through to her is like banging your head against a wall.

13. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

14. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

The OP definitely has only himself to blame for leaving the iPod there, but the girl really just opened a huge window for a dishonest person to steal his iPod. Someone honest found it and turned it over to the shop hoping the rightful owner would come and claim it, then this girl announces to everyone there that there is an iPod in a particular case behind the counter waiting to be claimed, giving some jerk to opportunity to swipe it.

You might be able to get some reimbursement from your homeowners/renters insurance if you have any. Even though you didn't have it stolen from your home, it was stolen and often those policies cover any stolen personal property. Best of luck!

Oh, don't foget to register it with Apple so that if the thief ever sends it for repair, or buys AppleCare for it you can at least have a chance to get it back.

15. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

It was the OP that gave her the information to wildly disseminate and so the ball is back in his court.

He has my sympathy though.

16. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

I lost my marbles. Still haven't found all of them.

17. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

How would he have done anything else? He had to contact the shop and find out if it was there, there was no need for her to say anything other than "hang on", take a look, check with the manager, and the "yes, it is here behind the counter". That seems like common sense to me, at least.

18. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Ring up and ask did you find an iPod. If the answer is yes then you say you'll be in to collect. When you get to the shop you give the description.

19. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

Well i didn't exactly lose it, but when i was about 10 i had a guinea pig as a pet for my birthday, and it died within 6 hours of entering my house.

20. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Did it also come in a black leather case?

21. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

No. That's how it went. :D

22. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I'll say it again, seen as it seems to keep disappearing.

I think this is primarily the fault of the OP, and the girl only further contributed to the issue.

If this post keeps getting deleted, would the mods care to explain why?

David