Got my first spam text message...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ideal.dreams, Feb 20, 2013.

1. macrumors 68000

ideal.dreams

I got a spam text message from a cell phone on AT&T network from Akron, Ohio this evening. Is there anything I can do to make sure I don't get any more? I blacklisted the phone number with iBlacklist but I'm worried I'll get more in the future from different numbers. Does anyone have any ideas as to how they got my number? I don't put it anywhere online.

Thanks

2. macrumors 604

wordoflife

Even though you might've not put it anywhere online, I'm sure there are databases with it or it leaked somewhere. Or, those people could've just generated a random list of numbers and send a mass text. In any case, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just don't reply though. I've gotten some spam texts and not replied, and still not getting them often. Maybe once or twice a year.

But you can also do this if you like.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article...sages on your wireless phone#fbid=HoGa42vibHE

*EDIT* realized you may or may not have AT&T. Check with your carrier to see what services they offer regarding spam messaging.

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

ideal.dreams

I am with AT&T but I deleted the message already so I am not able to forward it. Thanks for the link!