Got my iphone 5 today but got a small problem.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fel10, Dec 9, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

fel10

Everything works great, except it has a slight yellow tint. My iphone 4 (right) has a cooler screen, and the new iphone (left) looks slightly yellow. Now, I've been hearing a lot of complaints from people saying that they also got this issue, and when they went to get it replaced, they got the same problem. So should I try and get a replacement, or am I being too paranoid? And may I add that the colors on the new iphone looks more accurate than on my old phone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. macrumors 6502

The screen is just calibrated warmer. More accurate colors in photos but in whites may look a Bit yellow. Many reviewers also mention it.

3. macrumors 68000

I believe this is the right answer.

4. macrumors 65816

Iphone5 calibration allows for better color reproduction. we're all used to the bluish-white calibration of the 4 and 4s

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

fel10

Thanks for the response everyone. I was starting to get worried. Wasn't looking forward to getting a replacement, since everything else work flawlessly on my new phone.

6. macrumors 68000

dont mind that, after you get used to the warmer screen, believe me it's much better than the cooler tint on the iPhone 4.

7. macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Damnn, i guessed it would be the yellow screen, every frickin time someone thinks they have a problem and it's unique to them lmao.

8. macrumors 6502a

You can't say a "Warmer" tint is better really, it's wrong. Skin tones with a green cast make people look ill. If the colour output is too far away from neutral some will be too strong and some too weak. Excusing a yellow/green tint as some kind of improvement is drinking the Apple Kool-aid a little, so to speak.

Apple should at least give us some calibration option since the only way to access that is by jailbreaking. This is how wrong my iPhone 5 measures and from what I've seen they're pretty much all like this:

[​IMG]

The iPhone 4's cooler blue tint was much closer to correct than this, it's just pretty poor when the iPhone 5 is partly sold on the amazing colour depth and screen, if the colours are wrong and tinted then that doesn't really count for much. If you see a calibrated screen next to this you'll understand how much of a difference it makes, everything looks better.

The iPhone 5 screen is a bit of a disappointment as most of the people I know with one preferred the look of their iPhone 4, especially when compared side by side. I know a load of fanboys will chime in and say they preffer pissy yellow to over-clean blue but the fact is it measures farther from neutral - it's not as good.

9. macrumors regular

actually i like your iphone 5 screen better. the other one looks a little redish imo

10. macrumors regular

serkan

So its not a problem right ? It is normal to be like that ?

11. macrumors 68040

bandofbrothers

Hi,

Before you created your thread I'm sure you will have used both google and the search facility on macrumors which will have highlighted existing threads and information on this greatly covered subject.

Im surprised all of this did not already answer your questions !

12. macrumors 6502a

On a purely technical level it's not as good as it could (or should, considering Apple's general standards) be, in terms of the iPhone 5 it's standard performance and should be considered normal.

13. macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

The screen on your 5 is good. I have seen a couple that actually do have buttery screens. Nothing to do with the more "saturated" colors they advertised.

You can tell right away because the blue elements in the UI, such as in safari, around the url, are not blue. they'll be buttery nasty.

I will say though, the 5's color temp seems way more consistent than the 4S.

The 4S had major issues with the screens. So many had the nasty yellowness.

14. macrumors 68000

1080p

I am glad I don't suffer from the amount of OCD the plagues many users in this thread.

15. macrumors 6502a

While I get your point, we're buying the most expensive mainstream phone on the market (which is obviously meant to be much more of a media device than just a phone nowadays), part of the selling point is the "amazing" screen. If it's not performing as well as it should then people can be expected to bring it up.

I didn't measure my screen because of lack of better things to do, I measured it because I wondered why people in pictures had sickly skin tones, especially next to my iPhone 4 that had a very good screen overall (and even after two years a better battery life as a side issue!). I just so happen to calibrate TV's as part of my job so had the gear and the tint stands out a mile if you're used to seeing a screen that is correct.

People are allowed to rave about great things something does (at the risk of being called a fanboy) but if you point out something as being sub-standard on an Apple forum then everyone likes to act all "like, whatever, get a life" - I'd rather Apple have a chance of being aware about things they can improve than try to brush it under the rug. I would have returned my phone if I thought I'd get something better in exchange but from what I've seen I won't. Apple is no longer at the cutting edge of this market in many ways and if they get too complacent (see Nokia) it's easy to fall behind rapidly.

16. macrumors 68020

No problem man. That's how they all are. I highly advise not wasting your time/effort trying to get a more "blue" phone. A "cooler" iphone 5 is more of an anomaly than the "warmer" ones. That's just how they are.

Honestly, I liked the screen on my 4s but holding my "warmer" iphone 5 next to it makes it look BLUE. No joke. I pull up a pic that has any white on it and it looks like it has a blue tint to it versus the same picture on my iPhone 5.

17. macrumors 601

Can I load a cooler display profile on the 5 then if that's my preference?

18. macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Yep, the o' yellow screen. Take it back. Some will defend the urine tone as 'correct' or true color, it's not. When white looks nicotine stained, it is not correct.

19. macrumors 6502

A little off topic but where did you get that wallpaper?

20. thread starter macrumors 65816

fel10

Which one?

21. macrumors 6502a

Mr. Buzzcut

What if I'm looking at your pics on a blue iPhone 4 screen? Lol. The 5 looks white and the 4 blue. But it's just a pic of a screen shown on another screen so who knows.

22. macrumors 68020

What exactly is the problem? Search option would give you a ton of info on this very issue.

23. macrumors 6502

The one on the 4s