got my ipod taken up

Discussion in 'iPod' started by jiv3turkey748, Sep 2, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

Today at school me and this girl were play funny songs we had on our ipods and one of the administrators saw us and took our ipods away

now we cant get them back until our parents come by to pick them up, and they can only be picked up on wednesdays

normally this wouldnt be a big deal except that im going to my grandparents house on florida today and the car ride is going to be miserable being forced to listen to country music that my parents will be playing

2. macrumors 6502

3. macrumors 6502

they don't let you have ipods in your school? i guess it is like having a discman, but still, as long as your not playing it in class i dont see why not. oh man i had soo many hats taken away from me in highschool. glad those days are over, no one gives a crap what you wear in college

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

your allowed to have ipods/ cell phones out before and after school but if they even see an ipod even if its turned off they take it away

another kid today got his taken away for checking the time

5. macrumors 68040

tech4all

Yea rules are rules I guess, but I still think it's unfair to a degree. I mean the freedom you have in high school vs. college is amazing. In college you can have your cell phone out - some instructors do want them off during class though - and leave for the bathroom without asking for permission. I personally think as long as the iPod (or anything) isn't out while the instructor is lecturing or something like that, then it should be OK to have out. Of course the item should be appropriate. For example, I don't think "reading" a "magazine" (;)) would be appropriate at school regardless of the time it was out. Luckily there are some instructors out there who do allow certain things out during class. I think it's especially useful during an art class or related subject because, depending on the person, music can be inspiring to art, such as painting.

6. macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

ahh an the mind washi...er education system continues on.
    Honestly even though I've been out of high school for a few years now I still find it disgusting just how many rules are imposed on high school students these days.
    I mean hell taking away a students iPod because a teacher "sees it" could be chalked up to nothing short of theft in my opinion. It's not the teachers iPod, sure you get it back but if I go up to a person at work & take their iPod and say "you can pick it up after jumping through these hoops" I'm likley to get a rightfully deserved punch in the face.
    Disapline is one thing, control is another.

7. macrumors 601

ITASOR

I think school's cell phone rules are garbage. Who cares if you have a cell phone that is off, or on silent, clipped to you? WHO CARES? School shouldn't take responsibility if lost, but I can't see why you have to hide it. It's more likely to get stolen out of a locker than in your pocket.

8. macrumors 6502a

American education system is going deeper and deeper into the drain. Education system doesn't give a f**k about music, art or even science education anymore. The rules that they impose on people are ridiculous. I remember having my headphones taken away (the security women was generous so just took them instead of my CD player) during a lunch. I mean, come on. It is a lunch time, who do f**k is going to mind what I am listening to.

9. macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

why don't you tell them you have a school project saved on it, and that you need to finish working on it while your in flori-da.

10. macrumors newbie

DrVu96

Cell phone rules are retarted.

At my High School, no electronics, including cell phones, iPods, CD players, digital cameras, regular cameras, and HEADPHONES! Many of these things can be brought on the last day of school. Nobody gives a flying flip on May 25.

Hick Town. Why do the teachers get to prance around with their iBooks clutched to their crippling 38 year old bodies out of complete incompetence over use towards a Mac (Which is impossible :) !)

Edit: Oh yes. One time in History this girl's cell phone went off and it was taken up. It was in her purse. Her mother had been in a car wreck and had a really serious ankle injury (the foot was hanging from her body by two tendons.)

If teachers see it, on or off, Hosta La Bye-Bye to your cell. Even poking through from your pants (like when sitting dows and they can see the cell in your pocket).

Plus, this whole gang affiliation thing is bullcrap too. This school has 800 students, and if you come to school with a solid white, red, or blue tee you are expelled for 1 school year.

11. macrumors regular

As a teacher...

As a middle school teacher, I agree with the rules that most secondary schools have...the difference is that I don't tend to enforce them so much.

For instance, if a student has a cellphone/iPod/etc. out before/after school or during lunch, it's a pain in the butt for me to take it away. However, if I am in the middle of a lecture and a student busts out their headphones and isn't paying attention, then THAT is a problem. Students show me their "gadgets" all the time and we even talk about them.

The point that I want to really make here, is that most teenagers are immature. I know that MacRumor's members are very mature (for the most part).

If we didn't have these harsh rules, the immature students would make everyone look bad and the learning environment would be worse than it already is.

12. macrumors 601

eva01

Heh i wouldn't let a teacher touch my iPod, if they touched it i would then have to use self defense and say i thought they were trying to grab me by the wrist to injure me so i broke their hand.

But at least college here lets me have whatever i want and a lot of the teachers don't even care if your cell phone is on because most of their cellphones also go off during class, because emergencies always happen.

I always have my cellphone on during classes in case one of my Drs need to get in touch with me, or if i get called into work at the hospital (which they can legally do i believe)

Because i know you wouldn't want to be the teacher that gets the lab management screaming at you for taking away my beeper or cell phone so i couldn't come in to work because someone called out sick. And at the worst you would have the Pathologists upset with you as well.

13. macrumors regular

I also believe that the teenage years bite as far as authority goes, but that is what EVERYONE goes through. I'm drinking a beer right now and don't have to be sneaky. That is something I couldn't do in high school.

The thing is (woah, I sound like Monk!)...freedom will come and more choices will open up. If you don't like the rules now, just wait. Yes, college was much more free. And expensive!

14. macrumors 601

eva01

You had to be sneaky in high school, you poor poor soul. I feel bad for you to an extent.

15. macrumors 6502

I'm just happy they let us use it before/after school now that I'm in high school. In middle school, no matter what time ti was, any gadget would be confiscated, even if its off and in your pocket, if they see it, they ask you for it. But in high school you can use it in non school hours, but I really wish that they would let us use it during lunch since it is OUR break time!

16. macrumors regular

What, did you drink in front of adults? I remember sneaking in nasty 40 oz. bottles into movie theatres.

17. thread starter macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

ya in middle school they would take it up no matter what but usually as long as it was a teacher that liked me they would give it back

18. macrumors 601

eva01

My father was the one that gave me my drinks o_O

19. macrumors 68030

homerjward

ugh...i hate all these retarded rules schools have...today at lunch this guy was handing out papers with directions to a lan party he's having saturday...this nazi b*tch AP comes up and takes them all up saying they're contraband or something...i didn't really hear but it's still retarded.
    i can kinda understand the no cell phone/ipod rule...i guess...but i think taking them away, as another poster said, is theft. and, at least at my school, if you refuse to give it to them they have you arrested! that's like getting mugged and then the mugger calling the cops on you because he couldnt get what he was trying to steal! :mad:

20. macrumors regular

I agree it's dumb that they would take an invitation to a party away (I just witnessed middle school students passing around invitations his week and I teased them, saing I was going to crash it).

Think about the "confiscation" rules again. Can you see how the immature students wreck it for the rest? Just like I can't go and easily buy spray paint, cigarettes, etc. without asking for assistance because years ago other people ruined it.

You must admit, if the rules weren't there, then students would be putting headphones on in class. I should know, because it happened a few times in my classes - even with the rules in place! I just made them put it away.

21. macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

iPod Recorder??

Why can't you use an iPod with a Griffin iTalk or Belkin VOice recorder or Microphone adapter to record lectures in High School like I used a cassette recorder in college (it was 20 something years ago).

If I was in high school now I would be using an iPod as a recorder, but I would ask my teachers if they had any problem with it first.

I agree that a few bad seeds ruin it for everyone else.

22. macrumors regular

Why do you need a parent to go in and get it for you?

In some classes at my school we're allowed to listen to music, Maths and Computing. But we only listen to music if we actually know how to do the work, it would just make it even harder to do if we were listening to music and trying to figure out a maths problem.

23. hob
    macrumors 68020

hob

America sounds crazier every day.

When I was at school, just a couple of years ago, I most certainly wasn't allowed to make phone calls during the day... Which is sensible. However, I could pretty much do what I wanted with my iPod/MiniDisc player (depending on what year it was ;) ). I wouldn't say I was a suck up at all, but the teachers knew who were the trouble making students.... Basically those that would go around with one ear piece in blaring out drum n' bass so loud it was more like broadcasting...

Also, about the guy handing out LAN party stuff... nobody ever did that really, but it'd be like getting busted for handing out birthday party invites - which MANY people did.

Infact, during the anti-war marches in London, I stuck up posters for it here and there....

And there was one occasion when some deputy head-teacher had messed one of my friends around, and we ended up forging a letter and distributing it!! I can't remember why... But it didn't seem like particularly anarchic behaviour at the time.

It's like.... the laws in America seem really restricting. I hear in some states you can only buy 1 drink at a time, at a bar, and then you're not allowed to leave it. Now, while this may sound sensible - not leaving it so it doesn't get spiked, in the UK we just have public awareness of the problem - not LAWS.

In the same way if a teacher didn't want me listening to my music at school, they would have asked me to stop, and only confiscated it as a last resort.

Sorry, I seem to have ranted. (again)

24. Guest

My middle school experience was horrible. My principal was new in 6th grade and she came from an inner city school, my town is far from a city (10,000 people 98% white). Every year towards the beginning she would bring each grade into the cafeteria and go over the student handbook.
    She would talk about how if you called someone a name like "idiot, stupid, loser, moron, etc" you WILL BE SUSPENDED and THE POLICE WILL BE CALLED, because that is a form of bullying.

She suspended a lot of people, escpecially when I was in 8th grade. Some one called another person "eee-litterate" (not illiterate) and he was suspended for 3 days. Someone said "I'm going to kill you"- that person was suspended for 5 days. Someone gets in a fight with someone- the attacker gets suspended for ONE day.

Which reminds me, they also said if someone starts beating you up, don't fight back. "just cover you head with your arms", or else you WILL be suspended for fighting.

My school though is pretty forgiving of iPods and Cell phones. They don't care if they see them, they just get mad if your using them. If someones cellphone rings or beeps in class, the teachers just say "turn it off", especially since the teachers cell phones always ring durring class time.

My school is rediculous. I know it, everyone else knows it, the parents know it, everyone hates her, she has a mullet,and everyone wants her out except she has the 10yr agreement.

25. macrumors 68040

Koodauw

The real source of the problem finally comes out. Most places seem to over react a bit. A simple please turn that off should work just fine, but I'm sure a lot of kids don't respond to a simple request.