Got my new 17" iMac today... have some screen concerns

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Chrispy, Oct 31, 2005.

1. macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Hey all. I got my 17" iMac today and the thing is beautiful! However, I am a little concerned about my screen. I have some backlight bleeding at the top and bottom of the screen in the middle. It is very noticeable in frontrow or when playing a widescreen movie. Also, the upper left corner is slightly darker than the rest of the bar at the top. This may be from the extra lighting in the middle... should I be concerned about this or is it common? Should I try to get an exchange?? The middle area of the top of the screen is rather bright...

2. macrumors 68000

Danksi

SNAP! :)

I've not noticed any lighting issues with mine. Now that you've mentioned it, I'll have to double check FrontRow with a Movie, as I've not really tried it out yet.

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Yeah if you could check that and see... even just open frontrow and see if the top of the screen has some white leaking into it from the top and then let me know I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

4. thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

For all those who currently own an iMac 17" does anyone else experience uneven screen brightness in the form of extra light bleeding into the screen at the top. When I am on a black screen it is very noticeable on the top area where white light is bleeding through... should I call Apple and ask about getting an exchange over this?

5. macrumors 601

ITASOR

I'd call Apple...if you remember their phone number that is....:D :cool: :rolleyes: :p :eek:...

You wouldn't want it to develop into something later on. :(

6. thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Yeah I think I'm going to call .... here are some pics of it...

Attached Files:

7. macrumors 68000

Danksi

Thanks for posting the pics, much easier to see what you mean. I've compared your frontrow screen with mine and yours does have more white along the top.

Have you tried adjusting the screen brightness down - mine was turned to mac by default, I now have it set about 50%.

8. thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I turned down the brightness to 50% and it got better but my screen got too dark for my taste. It also makes the upper left part of the screen seem darker than the rest.

9. macrumors 68000

Danksi

My 'darkness' is definately even across the screen. Best give Apple a call.

Could it be the screen is being pinched somewhere?

10. macrumors 68000

Thanks for Posting this Chrispy. My iMac is still in the box, believe it or not.... I haven't had time to get it set up yet, and want to "take my time" and not rush when I do set it up. Hopefully tomorrow night.

I'll definetely check for the screen issues though, since both of ours were on the same shipment.

I'll post back tomorrow night.

11. macrumors 68000

nospleen

Hey Chrispy, I can barely see it on mine. It is not as dramatic as yours. But, then again, your second pic looks more like mine. It looks really noticeable in the first pic.

12. thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Haha, yeah it just worries me that something may be pinching the screen and could cause trouble down the road. Also, it causes the upper left part of the screen to look darker than the rest during normal operation... which bugs me after coming from a Dell 2005FPW with perfect backlighting.

13. macrumors 6502a

Verto

The way I see it is, you just spent a lot of money on your machine, so if you have some concerns, however little, you are well within your rights to take it back to Apple and have them check it out.

14. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Get the VGA cable for the iMac and test your display agains the Dell. I does look excessively bright though.

Just a thought...

15. thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Yeah I agree. There should not be patches that are that bright on the screen. Also, as Eidorian pointed out, when comparing it to how my dell looked when I had it hooked up to my powerbook the iMac has issues.

16. thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

could anyone else take a pic of their iMacs running Frontrow so I can compare them? That would be helpful for me. Thanks!

17. macrumors 68000

Chrispy, I'll take some tomorrow night.

18. thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Thanks! I feel like we are in this together haha :) I hope yours is PERFECT and then I will know I need to get it exchanged.

19. macrumors 68000

I can't believe mine is still in the box!! I think this the longest i've gone knowing that a new computer is in the house and not opening it...

20. thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

You know you want to open it and take pics tonight ;) open... the... box... hehehe

21. macrumors 68000

nospleen

Here you go! Now that I look at it, I think yours does have an issue!

Attached Files:

22. thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Thanks for the picture! Yours does look much better. I just can't wait to see berkleeboy210s screen to see if his looks good too. I am going to call today.

23. macrumors 68000

Danksi

Mine looks like that.

Is this your first Mac as well? Not good. See if you can get a complimentary iPod Shuffle out of them or something. :)

24. macrumors 68000

nospleen

No problem, it was the least I could do. I somewhat feel responsible for you buying the imac.
    :p

25. thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Could you please take a picture of the computer running in OS X as well. I want to see how uniform the backlighting is on your system as compared to mine. Thanks :)