Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkester

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006
Ok nvm, I lied, mines have the same scratch as my previous one.

118oz13.jpg

Sorry to hear that. And scary to see that the problem persists. My replacement comes Monday -- we'll see. :/

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
I've put a Slickwrap skin on my MBP so now the scratch is out sight, out of mind. Pretty ridiculous how this was (and still isn't) caught by a QC team.

keviig

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Just got my 15" (bought directly from Apple Online Store) and it has the exact same scratch under the left speaker...
And there's a 3 week wait for a new one (BTO 460). Do you think they'll let me keep my current one till the new one arrives? Or will I have to return it within the 14 day window and be without a computer for a week?

Reactions: nikster0029

ronaldcastillo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
Just got my 15" (bought directly from Apple Online Store) and it has the exact same scratch under the left speaker...
And there's a 3 week wait for a new one (BTO 460). Do you think they'll let me keep my current one till the new one arrives? Or will I have to return it within the 14 day window and be without a computer for a week?

Process it as a replacement, you'll have to send your current one in but you'll get your replacement within a week instead of waiting 2-3 weeks.

keviig

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Process it as a replacement, you'll have to send your current one in but you'll get your replacement within a week instead of waiting 2-3 weeks.
If I understood right, I'd still be left with no Mac for a week? I hoped I could have them let me keep my current one till the new one I ordered arrives.

keviig

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
You can do exactly that. Why not call Apple and ask?
That's what I'm planning to do. They're closed for the weekend here, so I'll call them first thing Monday morning. Just wanted to ask here to see how likely it was for Apple to accept me keeping it a little longer.

ronaldcastillo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
If I understood right, I'd still be left with no Mac for a week? I hoped I could have them let me keep my current one till the new one I ordered arrives.

You can do that as well, just need to call instead of doing live chat. They'll just put a hold on your card until they receive the previous MacBook.

Reactions: keviig

keviig

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
You can do that as well, just need to call instead of doing live chat. They'll just put a hold on your card until they receive the previous MacBook.
Yeah that sounds good. No live chat where I live, so phone call it is! Hard to get a hold of them here (no physical stores) so thats why I asked you guys first :)

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Have the same scratch. Replaced three times so far and the same scratch was there on all of them

that is completely absurd, (that you've had to deal with that)

the factory worker fell asleep on the exact same spot three times in a row not including over the course of thousands of samples maybe even tens or hundreds of thousands

it's a Foxconn signature,

Reactions: nikster0029

VodkaPear

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
Received my MacBook Pro 13" but saw a minor scratch on the apple logo.

Duno shld I return it and get another set or not.

Subtronix

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2017
im now worried my replacement thats coming soon may be worse.....:/

also how come u didnt opt for the 2.9?
Going to get the 2.9 next and possibly in silver after seeing the problems people are having with scratches, most of them being on the SG

keviig

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Just noticed that in addition to the scratch below the speaker, the "k" key doesn't register on my 15" unless I hit it right in the middle. I've managed 6-8 presses (all the way down) on the side of the button in a row without any letter being registered. All the other keys respond perfectly.

The problems just keep stacking up :( I hope my next one doesn't have any issues, as I'm tired of exchanging Macs now due to faults.

My 2016 MBP returns (issues present when box was opened):

- 13" nTB: fan grinding and scratch on unibody
- 13" TB: dent in unibody + dead tb3 port
- 13" TB: deep scratch in screen (2-3cm long)
- 15" TB (current): scratch under speaker + unresponsive "k" key

I love the design, the quality feel and the experience of using this generation Macs. But then again, I am not willing to accept a faulty or damaged product, especially at these price points. Which is why I've bothered with so many returns. So this is not a post saying the 2016 Macs are bad, just the quality control is not at the level it should be.

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Looking at where this scratch is occurring (either left or right side), I would guess it's from the part of the manufacturing process where the actual/functional speaker hole is machined out.

miller06

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2016
Has anyone noticed the aluminium to be softer than the 2015 model? I keep getting dings on mine, from the slightest contact. It feels like the iphone 5, which was getting dings only by looking at it.

Reckon Apple will come out with a new series aluminium as an upgrade next year, like they did with the Iphone 6s :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.