Got my new G5 today

Discussion in 'Community' started by agreenster, Jun 21, 2004.

1. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

And damn this thing's fast.....and QUIET!!

Its a DP2 ghz w/9600 card (2nd revision, so its got the 8x DVD burner). I got a pretty good deal on it too.....cant divluge too much info, but lets just say I paid waaay less than retail for the new machine.

I've already installed Maya and Photoshop and Flash (the essentials) and I must say I'm rather impressed. It handles my 3D scenes as good or better than the 2+ Xeons and P4's I'm using at work.

Well, off to play. Just thought I'd stop by and brag...

2. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

congratulations on your new machine ! I am going to play around with XSI for a while, so I will be PC bound for my 3D work, but damn I am jealous !
    :)

A G5 and one of those fancy displays, now that would be shwwwwwwwweeeeeeet.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

4. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Very very cool! Really nice machine. I'm curious what your setup is on it, ie, what's connected.
    –Chase

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Damn, that's nice! So are you going dual monitor?

As for getting a great 'price', you doing a student purchase? :D

D

6. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Are you going to take back your comments about your need for speed now, agreenster?

I thought the G5 was "behind, and you would take a Dual Xeon any day" :p

EDIT: DOH! I need to read the full post first ;) :p

7. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

Yeah, Im using a crappy 19 inch Samsung....couldnt afford a nice fancy LCD. (or even a crappy LCD) Anyone want to donate a 21 inch CRT? I'll trade my 400mhz G4 (well, plus some cash)

And no, it wasnt a student discount. I did some work for a guy who is a mac reseller....

I'm using a 3ghz P4 right now at work, and the G5 isnt QUITE as fast as this one...but it might be a video card thing. But I'd say its about 90% as fast. I have a complex Maya scene, and it grinds the 2ghz P4's here to a halt. The 3ghz machine handles it well and so does the G5.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Since you deal with complex Maya scenes, you might benefit from the ability in Maya 6 to do nested file references with proxies, which can be individually enabled or disabled. That lets you use a proxy for a complex area of a scene while you are working on other areas of that scene.

Of course, they want money for this upgrade. There's always a catch, isn't there? :)

9. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I have a Sony CPD e540 21" CRT that I don't need anymore since I upgraded to 23" cinema. PM me, maybe we can make some sort of deal.

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations agreenster on your new G5. That was a great trade off for knowing a Mac Reseller. Look forward to maybe seeing some more of your work in the future.

11. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I sure love my new dual 1.8 so i'm sure you're loving the dual 2 even more :) enjoy.

12. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    well.......i took delivery of my new G4 DP today!!! yes folks, G4 (four). I still need to boot into OS 9 so I purchased a 1.25 Dual Processor, cost me as much as a G5 too. got it maxed out though :D

so much faster than my G4 iMac 800Mhz and my old G4 dual 500. Gotta see if my SGI flat panel works with the latest Panther incarnation, else I'll have to go back to Jaguar :(

I was surprised too, it has iLife, it was installed with 10.3.2, pretty current, a friends G5 that he got last week was the same :) It's obvious Apple are still looking after their G4 customers and not just offloading old G4 stock. I had to wait 2 weeks for it to be built too, they were waiting for a part to come in, maybe the gfx card, who knows.

oh, i have a bunch of screens agreenster...wanna get a 21", or a 2nd??? let me know...

13. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Congrats. Good for you that you got such a great deal.

Maybe you can post more reviews ?

Cheers

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

@Evoluzione: Are they still using the older video cards, or are they putting in better cards than they were 1.5 years ago? I'd imagine that its hard for Apple to find a large number of those old video cards to put in, and they would add in a newer card that cost the same as those older cards did 1.5 years ago.

(Or did Apple actually give you a pos video card, which wouldn't surprise me?)

15. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

I upgraded my graphics card to the nVIDIA GeForce 4 Titanium, which is a 128MB card, it was a $100 upgrade over the regular ATI Radeon 9600 I think...not sure if that's what they were 18 months ago, but i'm happy :)

16. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

he must be loving it about 11% more. :)

17. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Take some pictures like bill knolls and post it here.... chop chop, what are you waiting for ? :eek:

18. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

Well hey, its a G5 like any other. I have it all tucked neatly away in my desk, and there it shall stay until I need to install more ram and HD.

What kind of monitors do you have evoluzione? You interested in a SP 400mhz G4? :p

19. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

My revB DP 1.8 just arrived in the last couple of days, so I can totally relate. The difference in speed/power is astronomical!

Congrats on yours as well - it's like a whole new world. :D
    Now, if they'll only hurry up and release the new monitors... ;)

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'll be making the plunge soon enough - getting the dual 2.5 with dual 23" LCDs (new ones, so I'm waiting until next week or a bit later to order the beast). I can't wait to actually have a machine that won't buckle under the pressure every time I want to do something a little tricky :D

D

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Congratulations to all the new G5 owners. It encourages my decision to see so many taking the plunge. The enjoyment seems to be key.

Does everyone think that the new displays will really be worth the wait over the current $500 offer? :confused:

22. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Since the 23" has the $500 offer, and has been rumored to have an updated price of $1499-1799 - it might make more sense to wait. If you are "guaranteed" :p to get $200 off just for waiting - with the possibility of getting a revised 23" at $1499 - I would definitely wait.

23. thejazzman10 Guest

and to think i'm rendering with a 900mHz G3... :D

24. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Ok, so here's a stupid semi-off topic question:
    I've got a single 1Ghz MDD G4 right now. Is it worth the upgrade to a G5? I don't really need a new Mac, but I still want one. The thing that kept me away was the price, and the lack of expansion when compared to my current tower.