got my new ibook :)

Discussion in 'Community' started by SilvorX, Dec 9, 2002.

1. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

on the weekend i finally got my new ibook (800mhz 12.1" screen) and so far its excellent :D, the computer store forgot to install the 512 meg chip of ram, and my dad wont let me install it (bah) so i'm stuck with 128 megs of ram for now, osx is actually FAST (in my oppinion) with only 128 megs of ram.....until if im running ie and mozilla at the same time...then mozilla will take years to do anything, either than that, i havent had that many problems at all, but i was just wondering...
    since i'm on a dialup connection, i went around in preferences and there was a preference for ppp or something about osx notifying me when someone is trying to phone, does that preference work? cuz i tried using an internet call manager (that my dad pays for every few months) but its not osx compatible, and it seems like nobody tried to phone at all (on winblowz i would get a notification from the app atleast once an hour (when someone calls), hopefully people havent been getting a busy signal..)
    either than that mostly everythings been perfect :)

2. vniow macrumors G4

Gawd, finally!

Bout damn time you got it, how long have you been waiting?

3. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

3 weeks, it turns out the guy who was incharge of orders (one of the co-owners of the store) got fired since he wasn't that nice to the customers and he was supposed to email me when the mac came in (2 weeks ago) but it turned out he got fired 2 weeks ago...atleast thats what my uncle told me (i dunno how he knew but the computer store he used to work for got bought out by that store)

4. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i already had a few problems on osx, but right now probably all stuff thats easy to fix...
    since i installed 10.2.2, i'm no longer able to drag icons/move the icons in the dock anymore, as if they are locked there, and many of the icons are only displayed as the application icon (the blank icon with the "A" on it) and on the dock those appz that appear as folders on the dock, how should i fix this problem?
    thanx

Attached Files:

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

6. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

silvor, I reckon you've really been stuffing with your new baby otherwise that sorta stuff doesn't happen...maybe it was all that stuff you downloaded for it...it might even need a reinstall..

7. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

possibly, but i didnt install that much that would change the icons (only stuff like candybar or whatever but i havent played around with them yet) all of this happened after i installed os 10.2.2 update, what im thinking of doing is 2nite reformat the computer, if thats possible, is there a way to reformat it entirely?
    and i was running xbench yesterday and it seemed that the result wasnt that great, 45.3, but hopefully if i add the 512 meg chip it will make a huge difference, or else i'dd have to do what ms v did and add a 5400 rpm drive but right now my $$$ is really slim

8. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Yeah, you're going to have to boot up from the OS X disk. Pop it in and restart the machine, and while it is booting press and hold 'c'. Now wait for a while, and soon you should see the OS X installer window. Go to the File or Apple menu and click Disk Utility. Then you should see tabs for partitioning, repairing, and reformating the drive.

Good luck, and congrats on your new buy!

irmongoose

9. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

thanx :D, i remember a friend told me that instructions, but i forgot that
    it was a good buy, but if they were going to charge $200 CDN for 512 megs of ram, they should've installed it also, but they didn't (even tho i had instructions for them to :p lol)
    the only bad part about it (either than the lil bugs im having) is that the wires from the ext. hard drive/printer/digital camera get in my way at times and annoy me, especially when i want to move somewhere else

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: got my new ibook :)

that's the one with the 32 MB of video memory and at $1299 us?

if so, that's one i may have an eye on

but 16 MB of video memory and a 700 mhz sahara G3 chip with 512 k of level 2 cache for $999 us is not such a bad deal either

it will come down to basically "one" thing that i can figure out...will i use the thing for high end gaming?

low end games will work on only 16 MBs of video RAM, but maybe not two years from now where the low end games may require 32 MBs of video memory and the high end games will need at least 64 MBs of video memory

so far, having had computers for over three years now in my household, i have somehow avoided getting into gaming...when i was a salesman at office depot in 1999, the technical side of the store had its biggest sales and profits from the sale of software based games...and we are supposed to be an office superstore, not a kid's toy store:p

11. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

Re: Re: got my new ibook :)

yep, its a pretty nice machine to use :), although i only have 128 megs of ram...so on xbench it had a result of 43 or so

true, its a great deal for schools and people who have no need for dvd-rom/cd burning capability

the 32mb model is good for gaming, but if you have no need for gaming, the cd rom drive model would be a good buy
    the ibook i got was a good deal, but since i'm having quite a bit of software problems, i should've formatted as soon as i opened it up, and hopefully 10.2.3 will fix lots of the bugs, including the bug i currently have with trying to move around icons
    but for now i'll have to use os9 (since one of the main appz i need doesnt work on osx (tells me when people are phoning...and my parents b*tch at me if people are trying to call and its not on...))

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Congratulation, and welcome to the other side. It's about time. :D

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Don't get a laptop for gaming. That is not a good idea. Unless
    you want to play older games then they will run at a low FPS if
    you use that 32 MB video card.

14. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Don't listen to your Dad

SilvorX:

Don't be a sissy. Put that RAM in boy. Don't listen to your Daddy. He doesn't know what's good for your computer.

j/k dude, it's best to be safe

Matt

P.S. no, but seriously, put the ram in...you know you want to do it

;)

15. SilvorX thread starter macrumors 68000

SilvorX

Re: Don't listen to your Dad

i watched the process on how to put the ram in, and ive lost parts before when i was installing optical drives on my older computer, i dont want that to happen on this computer, but the ibook runs perfectly under 128 megs of ram :)

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

that's all i have space for for me and my wife in our small living quarters ...800 square feet

it would be nice to have a tricked out tower with two large 21" inch crt screens in an enclosed gaming cubicle...like i have seen on the net

17. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Don't listen to your Dad

It's pretty simple. In fact on the back of the keyboard they've printed the four steps involved (two if you don't have an airport card installed) and they even give you pictures. Hooray for pictures!

The only warning I can give you is to make sure you ground yourself. The best way to do this is put on a fuzzy pair of socks and run around in a carpeted area of your house. (OK, don't really do that. It would be the worst idea ever. I'm not responsible if you do.)

Sorry to egg you on. I just couldn't resist.

Handle business.

Matt

18. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

You'll be amazed how much faster will your iBook be when running many apps at once with more ram. Just put that bloody ram in :D
    Oh and did you say u got 43 with Xbench?
    Now thats almost as much as my 350 mhzer got mwhahahha
    just kidding >:)

19. BenderBot1138 macrumors 6502

Better safe than sorry....

Congratulations... I'm in favor of putting the responsibility for installation upon an authorized installer. If anything goes wrong... you'll get a new computer. Do it yourself and something goes wrong, and you've just made a nice plant stand.

:cool: