Got my new iMac - what the hell!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jope76, Mar 10, 2006.

1. jope76 macrumors member

Got my new iMac today, and boy was I excited. Byt now that I unpacked it and turned it on I'm not so thrilled anymore...

1: I installed more memory before turning it on, and when unscrewing the screws I noticed that one of the screws didn't "fit" the hole, it was to small and was just spinning round in the hole, and I could see that it had been unscrewed before. Well, installed it anyway since the other screw fitted nicely and the hatch was securely locked.

2: Turned it on. The noise! The whole computer is vibrating, making a terrible "hhhuuummmmmm". I can feel my desk vibrating. it's the hard drive, because when it spins down everything is quiet. If this is the noise an iMac make I can't live with one....

3: The plastic on the front has small scratches and "smudges" on it, not silky smooth like I expected from a new iMac. Is this normal??

So, what do you guys think of all these problems? Should I send it back? I'm really not liking my new iMac right now, and the vibration noise is driving me mad! damn :(

2. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Send it back, get a replacement. My iMac is *silent*.

3. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Sounds like someone tampered with it. Perhaps you accidentally got a referb? (like an order switcharoo?)
    Send it back, Apple will gladly replace it.

4. jope76 thread starter macrumors member

Does Apple handle these things, or should I contact the store where I bought it? Something tells me Apple would handle this thing faster than the store...
    Thanks guys!

5. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

Talk to both the store and Apple...see what the policies are

6. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

OP didn't mention if it was bought from Apple directly. I hope he didn't buy from some dodgey company that sells refurbs as new. I've seen that happen on the wintel side, but not in our world.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dont be upset , its made in China, Just give em a call and let us know what happens. Good luck.

8. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Step One: Get offline.

Step Two: Call the store.

Step Three: Profit!

9. jope76 thread starter macrumors member

I will contact the store on monday. The strange thing is that all the packaging looked new, even the iMac was in a sealed white soft cover. Must be a bad new one I guess. I really hope the store will take it back...

10. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

They'll take it back, no worries. Its just a bad one - they happen.

11. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Ah, good old xenophobia. Ain't it great?:rolleyes:

12. jope76 thread starter macrumors member

Got a reply from the store telling me to take this through Apple since the iMac was new and untouched when they sent it to me.
    So I will have to create a case through Apple and wait for them to pickup the iMac, have a look at it, decide what to do, and so on..... Sigh.

13. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

Just curious. What helped you to decide to go to a store that sells Apple products, but isn't an "Apple Store" to buy your iMac, rather than buying it from Apple directly?

14. jope76 thread starter macrumors member

There are no real Apple Stores here in sweden, just reatil stores/apple dealers (or what you might call them). This is one the big ones.

This iMac was bought for me through the company I work for, and they only wanted to buy through that retailer. I've only had good experiences with the online Apple store, so if I hadn't bought this one through my company I would have used the online Apple store...

15. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

Ahh...well you might get a raise if you showed your company the error of their ways and lead them to making Apple purchases through Apple :D.

I've been lucky too...3 macs and multiple software and iPod purchases, and no problems yet buying from Apple online.

16. jope76 thread starter macrumors member

The company that handles repairs for Apple in sweden declared my iMac DOA today, so I will receive a new one next week.
    Keeping my fingers crossed that the new one will be good... :)

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Good for you, sounded almost like you got a refurb or something. A new machine should be in perfect shape and the consumer shouldnt except anything less.

18. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Did you take the RAM out before you sent it off?

19. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I bought my powerbook from John Lewis, their an authorised apple reseller and gave me an extra years warrenty for free.

my experience with the apple store is mixed, when tiger came out, they sent me it for about £11, all was good, but recently i bought a dock for my ipod with colour screen, and the line in on it was bust...naughty apple

20. jope76 thread starter macrumors member

D'oh!!! :mad:

Just kidding. :p

21. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

Haha Applen00b!!!111

You forgot:

[goldblum]THERE IS NO STEP THREE!!!

There's no step three....[/goldblum]

Shame on you...