Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dezigNergy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
What a great piece of kit this is. Really sleek. This is actually my first ipod so i'm very excited. Just playing around with it at the mo. It's the 6GB version btw, in Silver. Anyway, i've been importing my music through itunes but it seems too slow by USB. Do you think it's worth getting firewire? Is it much faster? Anywho, if you don't already own an ipod mini, i highly recommed one. :D

:)

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
I also have the iPod mini but it seems to be loading fast enough. Firewire is faster (i think) but not by that much (once again im 90 percent sure). I dont think that it would be with the $19 apple is charging but if you can find it cheeper i would aka like $5

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
dezigNergy said:
What a great piece of kit this is. Really sleek. This is actually my first ipod so i'm very excited. Just playing around with it at the mo. It's the 6GB version btw, in Silver. Anyway, i've been importing my music through itunes but it seems too slow by USB. Do you think it's worth getting firewire? Is it much faster? Anywho, if you don't already own an ipod mini, i highly recommed one. :D

How does the clock on it look? Is it fuzzy or un clear? Post pics!! ;)

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
Congratulations!! i was also excited when i got my iPod.... i understand

But on the Firewire USB thing. If you plug it into USB 2.0 then it goes at 480mb/s and if you use Firewire 400, it goes...yeah you guessed it 400mb/s :p

Peace
DjVoTeZ

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
dezigNergy said:

i have a mini and both cables and i notice a significant difference when i use the firewire as opposed to usb, and i mean, just look at the name FIREwire................i dont know wat my point is with that but w.e. neway................................

auxplage

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2004
Virginia Beach
vouder17 said:
Congratulations!! i was also excited when i got my iPod.... i understand

But on the Firewire USB thing. If you plug it into USB 2.0 then it goes at 480mb/s and if you use Firewire 400, it goes...yeah you guessed it 400mb/s :p

Peace
DjVoTeZ

Well Firewire is able to achieve higher transfer rates for a longer period of time. 480 mb a sec is the maximum possible, but that is highly unrealistic with USB. Firewire is faster overall.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
minis also transfer songs more slowly than do bigger ipods... perhaps because of slower hard drives? So maybe it's not the connection speed, but the ipod itself that is the limiting factor?

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
vouder17 said:

Peace
DjVoTeZ

That's not what I have understood. USB 2.0 has a MAXIMUM speed of 480 mb/s, but cannot sustain that rate for long, whereas firewire can sustain 400 mb/s. This translates into firewire 400 being faster than USB for transferring large amounts of data.

Just yesterday, I transferred my music library to and from my home & work Macs via a portable hard drive. Took 8 minutes by firewire 400, and 11 by USB 2.0 for about 9 Gb. Not a huge difference, but it is there.

dezigNergy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
Thanks for all your replies guys. Here are some pics...

dscf05572gz.jpg

dscf05589ht.jpg

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
I agree with Scottyk9. FireWire has a constant, well-powered data transfer rate of 400 MB/s. USB 2.0 does have a data transfer rate of 480 MB/s but that is a data-burst speed, such results are not-typical or even likely. Plus USB 2.0 has a lesser-powered hub capability than FireWire (thus there are in existence FireWire-powered external harddrives and no USB-powered external harddrives... that I'm aware of anyways).

A friend of mine bought the 4G 40GB iPod when they came out and synced it to his PC via USB 2.0 and his 13GB of music took about two hours to transfer. However, my 3G 20GB iPod synced 15GB of music in under forty-five minutes over a FireWire cable.

Congrats on the mini, dezigNergy.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
MacHarne said:
I agree with Scottyk9. FireWire has a constant, well-powered data transfer rate of 400 MB/s. USB 2.0 does have a data transfer rate of 480 MB/s but that is a data-burst speed, such results are not-typical or even likely. Plus USB 2.0 has a lesser-powered hub capability than FireWire (thus there are in existence FireWire-powered external harddrives and no USB-powered external harddrives... that I'm aware of anyways).

A friend of mine bought the 4G 40GB iPod when they came out and synced it to his PC via USB 2.0 and his 13GB of music took about two hours to transfer. However, my 3G 20GB iPod synced 15GB of music in under forty-five minutes over a FireWire cable.

Congrats on the mini, dezigNergy.

It's limited more by how fast your HD can transfer data - for instance, I get peak 170MB/s copying files from my laptop to my external USB2.0 drive, well below 480MB/s. So they should be roughly equivalent speeds in normal operation.

Although, I agree that FW is likely to be able to sustain higher rates, so transferring large amounts of data it is still likely to be faster.

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
I had a silver mini. I forgot to take it out of shorts pocket and my mom did the laundry without checking the pockets. A few minutes after the clothes went into the dryer, she heard a clunking sound. She opened up the dryer to find my little iPod mini. She yelled up to me and I couldn't believe it!!!

I tried to turn it on to see if it still worked and the hard drive spun up and it sounded very sick. Metal grinding metal and then it went silent. I was so sad. Since then, I've bought a new 4G 20 gig and a 512 shuffle. I would love to get another mini someday though. I miss it :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.