Got my New MacBook and a Dead Pixel

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by yozh, Oct 17, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

Well now I`m really pissed off.

Got my 1300$ MacBook 5 minutes after the jobnote, just got it today. And I have a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen. Any one got this ? You think Apple will replace it???

2. macrumors 68000

Yes, you can get it replaced IF you say the right things. Don't act like a tool and they will most likely replace it for you. Be firm but don't get angry with them. Explain you are very upset with your notebook and you just want to be happy. And the only way to make you happy is to give you a replacement (which is hopefully free of dead pixels!).

3. macrumors regular

ascham87

I bought an Aluminum iMac about 2 hours after the keynote last August and got it home only to find a dead pixel. I went back nervously because I know the official policy is like 8 or more pixels or something. I went in and they basically told me that they'd do it no problem because I was an early adopter. Call up Apple and they should be fine with it, they know they need to keep the early adopters happy.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

You saying I should just call instead of going to the store ??????

5. macrumors 6502a

Be prepared to do what you must if they turn you away...i.e. disassemble the whole thing and manually deaden a few pixels with a needle. Either way you WILL get a replacement :)

6. macrumors G5

jav6454

I know I may sound like a total 150% noob when I say this, however, please understand my reasons. Ok here is the question, how do you notice 1 dead pixel.

Reasons for me asking is:

1. I have never seen a dead pixel in a laptop (as wierd as it may sound I have not seen one).

2. When I get my new Macbook I want it perfect (I am switching away from Windhell)

3. Since Leopard has a black background with the purple Nebula thingy, I would like to know which test to run in order to determine dead pixels.

Sorry for asking this *very* noobish question, but I would like some feedback on which test to run on the MacBook once I get it to assure perfectness.

7. macrumors regular

ascham87

You might want to call a retail store first. They are normally in the business of pleasing people.

8. macrumors 6502a

Simple... Play a full screen movie, then put your face close to the screen and inspect. Look for a little dot that does not change color.

9. macrumors G5

jav6454

So basically a full white screen should do the trick...

10. thread starter macrumors regular

I found something called pixel test. pxc1.2.zip

Which I saw that this thing is defenatly dead or there is somthing on the back of the glass eather way I constantly want to remove it and its so annoying :(

11. macrumors 65816

drew0020

I had 2 dead pixels and they replaced it. I expect the LCD screen to be perfect for $1,700.

12. macrumors 6502

Farns514

I thought i had a dead pixel also but was told it was stars peering through the top pane of the bar. Its white and directly in the middle of the bar on the top of the screen, a little bit below the camera and to the left. Anyone else have that?

13. macrumors 6502

derryquinn

Maybe you couls change the wallpaper and see then if its still there :D

14. macrumors member

No wonder apple gear is so expensive with people like you around ...

15. macrumors regular

my iphone had a dead pixel and the apple store replaced it no questions asked, didnt even have to show them a reciept.

16. thread starter macrumors regular

I have an appointment today at 4pm have to drive about 25 miles cuz the store close to me is all booked up. So will see. THey better change it.

17. macrumors newbie

I got mine as well with a dead pixel in the center. Called support they said to take it to the store. They gave me grief about not having an appointment and that I would have to come back. They still replaced it anyways now I have one with a perfect screen.

18. macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

TO FIX: try the pixel fixer.. Its a video on youtube that flashes many different colors which are can revive your dead pixel.. (Play Full screen) LINK BELOW

TO TEST: if you don't know if you have a dead pixel play the youtube video attached in fullscreen mode and pause and every color to inspect.. a dead pixel would have a different color.. LINK BELOW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJubi7wRTE4

*****DO NOT USE IF YOU'RE EPILEPTIC*****

19. macrumors regular

Here is my story (granted its with a mbp but it will help all with new macbook owners too):

I purchased a 2.53GHz MacBook Pro this morning right when the store opened. I then grabbed some breakfast and headed to my GF's place where I proceeded to set up my new computer on her coffee table (quick tangent: she has a big slider door and the glare was minimal). So after I get my baby setup I move take it off the coffee table and see a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen. I was like aiiiiiyyyyeeeee noeeees!!! I proceed to clean the screen thinking its something but it turned out to be a pixel. I also powered down my screen and noticed some dust under the screen. So my GF goes: "ah snap... here we go exchange fiasco!" I drive all the way back to my apple store go to the concierge and ask her to speak to a manager. The manager comes out and I explain: "I purchased this MacBook Pro not even 4-5 hours ago and I notice a dead pixel in the center of the screen. Now I understand fault tolerance with pixels, etc but this is in the smack center. I do some graphics work etc... and this isn't acceptable. This is my life-line!" Manager looks at the dead pixel and goes listen i'll exchange it out for u, just this once. He asks someone to grab me new 2.54GHz. But another manager goes you need to ok this with the genius boys. So we walk to the genius bar. The genius boy throws a fit about it only being 1 pixel and we shouldn't exchange, but the manager goes my bad I already told the customer he would be taken care of. Then proceeds a quiet discussion in which the manager seemed like he was getting reemed out by the genius. The manager comes back to me and goes listen... I shouldn't exchange this but I will this one time cause u came back right away and took care of it. He then proceeds to process my exchange. We then take out the new MacBook Pro and examine it and no dead pixels! I walk out the store a lucky and happy man!

So moral... if u see a dead pixel go right back... don't make an apt. and just go talk calmly to the manager. If he is cool will prolly get it taken care of.

20. macrumors 65816

drew0020

Honestly apple needs to work on their quality control. When you charge more than $1,500 for a computer the screen should be perfect and their should be no dents at all in the casing.

Maybe I am out of touch, but when I pay for a premium product I expect premium quality and service.

21. macrumors 65816

I agree when your paying $1500 it should be perfect but no company can make 100% of their products error and defect free. After all they put many other manufacturers products inside of the Macbook, iMac, etc -- theres no possibly way to ensure everything is perfect.

22. macrumors 65816

drew0020

Agreed, but dont give people a problem when they return it for a valid defect. I think a dead pixel and dented case (not a minor scratch only visible in certain light) are valid reasons.

23. macrumors 65816

Yeah, there is noway that they should even question a person who is trying to get a good product -- its sorry to see its happening some places.

24. thread starter macrumors regular

Yep love apple, came in switch the laptop in and out 10 minutes :) nice looking screen this time :)

25. macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Haha, yes that "star" is in Apple's Leopard wallpaper. :p