Got my new MacBook today, KERNEL PANICS!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chansey, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Chansey macrumors member

Jan 18, 2007

I received my new MacBook today, it keeps getting kernel panics all the time. I did an erase and format but it is still the same. I turned off airport and it seems fine, has been OK for an hour now. I have waited 5weeks, what do I do. Return with DOA is not going to work in my case b/c i leave for europe tomorrow morning. I have the latest firmware. Whats wrong with it!?:mad:

2. KershMan macrumors 6502

Feb 10, 2003
    VA, USA
    Sounds like the Airport card has a loose connection. You may want to reseat the Airport card and make sure the connection is good and then try it again.
  3. seanf macrumors 6502

Aug 8, 2006
    Where are you going in Europe? If you are taking it with you you should be able to call in at any Apple store and ask them to have a look.

Sean :)
  4. bearbo macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    you should go to a nearby apple store, if available, immediately, and have them replace it... if you really just got it for a day and it's panicing, i'm sure they'd replace it.
  5. Chansey thread starter macrumors member

Jan 18, 2007
    i opened it, after some advice that there might be a problem with loose memory sticks. Removed them and they were both soaked in thermal paste (!?)!!! Cleaned them and now it seems to run perfectly.... I am ****ing mad, bad bad bad bad, Apple! I am def gonna contact them about this.
  6. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Jul 17, 2002
    nar in Gainsborough, me duck
    Wow! Thats a new one on me. Time and time again Apples QC seems to be going down the pan. Was it a recon?
  7. bearbo macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    i would, if i were you, get a replacement... you wonder how the thermal paste get on there, and where else is, well, anything
  8. mattster16 macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2004
    this might seem like a dumb question, but what is a kernel panic? what happens when one occurs?

i had a powerbook from 2004 to 2006 and then now a mbp from late 2006 to present and i have never had one.
  9. nurfen macrumors member

Jan 21, 2007
    Kernel Panic is like a bluescreen, although they call it Kernel Panics so everyone can say that a Mac never gets bluescreens ;)
  10. daneoni macrumors G4

Mar 24, 2006
    This is a Kernel Panic
  11. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

Mar 6, 2006
    Wow, I have never had a kernel panic in the past three years. Nice. <knocks on wood>
  12. e12a macrumors 68000

Oct 28, 2006
    There was something a LONG time ago on Digg about this so called leaked "thermalpaste" on RAM. Its actually a lubricant to help slide RAM into the slots. some "geniuses" commented that it was indeed a type of lubricant.

but to access the airport card would require opening the computer to replace non-user accessible parts. Bring it back.
  13. Chansey thread starter macrumors member

Jan 18, 2007
    Well i m not going to return it now since it works.

Yes it was a recon, which actually upsets me more because it should have been tested 2times instead of 1...
  14. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006
    Yeah, I have had one of those on my iMac, but that was because I removed my iPod without ejecting it, the computer thought I removed a hard drive without telling it (which I pretty much did) rather than anything being wrong with my computer. Good to know!