Got my new PMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ArcticFox, Jun 8, 2005.

1. ArcticFox macrumors member

May 22, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    Well it's official, I'm writing this on my new dualie 2.0, pretty swank! Got it less than an hour ago. So I need help from all y'all - what software should I buy/download that I can just do stuff with? I didn't buy a new computer to surf the web...

So far I've loaded Firefox, Blender (ha...), some random files of mine, and a couple trinkets like MenuMeter and SysStat. But I want more.

Also, where can I get the X11 system so I can run GIMP and whatnot?
  2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    that's like asking "where should I drive my car" - it depends on what you want to do with it! :) But in any case, congrats on your purchase; a very sweet machine that will serve you well for years to come.
  3. metrobot macrumors newbie

Apr 27, 2005
    I'd say go to Palm Springs. It's supposed to be nice there! :D
  4. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2003

X11 can be found on your install disk that came with the computer or here.

Office 2004 is good, of course iLife which already comes with it. Lots of cool widgets at the apple site. Let us know what you do on a daily basis then we'll have a better idea what to suggest.

5. ArcticFox thread starter macrumors member

May 22, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    Well....on a daily basis I:

Browse forums
    Talk on AIM
    Browse more
    Edit/manage photos

How about you guys list what all you do with YOUR Macs, and maybe I'll get some ideas because honestly I've lost interest in a lot of my former hobbies, yet I love computers whether I do anything special with them or not. Once my digicam comes I'll be whining for Photoshop though on the Mac...I can't afford to splurge the $275-290 right now, especially since I already have it on my PC.

Some of you are probably wondering why I went out and bought a Mac when I'm mainly an internet/networking nerd. It's because I wanted a new experience, I wanted something different to come home to instead of the same icons and programs that I've dealt with for years. Hopefully this will lead to new things and I'll be able to actually do more heavy work that actually requires a decent setup. Learn Blender, maybe?