Got my new (re-furb) 12'' Powerbook today!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by The Red Menace, Jan 24, 2006.

1. The Red Menace macrumors member

Picked up the 80 gig with a superdrive from the Apple re-burb store. I had an iBook (its in my sig, now goes to the wife) but this thing feels much more solid then the iBook. The keyboard feels much better, more solid. This is my second Mac, and transferring all of my files from the old book was so easy, I almost cant believe it. I had planned on spending the evening messing around, getting everything set up, but I dont have to do anything! Anyway, could someone explain how the ram in the PB works. I thought I was getting 512mb but when I open up About this Mac it says that 256 is built in + 512 installed for a total of 768 mb. Are all of the PB's like this? Anyway totally stoked on the new machine so far, especially for the price!:D

2. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

Congrats on the new PB! Mine had (2) sticks of 256, nothing built in, but maybe the 12" is different? :confused:

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

congrats! I'm thinking of getting the $1099 12" PB refurb with combo from the apple store myself (i need the DVI). It sounds like you got a bonus with that RAM. It's been known to happen with refurbs - sometimes they come with more RAM/bigger HD than expected. The original owner must have replaced the second 256 with a 512, and Apple just left it as-is when they reconditioned it.

4. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

:cool: Congradulations! The 12" is really an overlooked powerbook. Most say its just a shiny iBook but my sister absolutely loves hers. She was give the option of either and without a second thought took the Powerbook.

As for the RAM deal. I have never seen that before. My sisters just says 512Mb - nothing about builtin or installed. Nor does my 15". Take a screenshot? I'd like to see... maybe its a hidden option / undocumented feature?

Still. Welcome to the Powerbook owners goup. :D :cool:

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

You have an awesome machine. I have the same one, and it is the best computer I have ever owned.

Yes, it is common that *sometimes* refurbished units come with some *bonuses*. Enjoy your extra memory!

6. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

Congrats on your new system..

about the mem, the 12" has 256mb built in.... and 1 memory slot, so you got quite lucky!

7. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

How long did yours take to arrive? My ibook has an estimated arrival date of feb 15, but Ill be flying out to florida on the 15. I wonder if I can upgrade my shipping.