Got my powerbook... now it wobbles

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by anamenotused, Oct 26, 2005.

1. macrumors member

Anyone else find this to be an issue? I called apple and did the tests (checked the feet, reseated the battery, slipped 2 business cards under the side that sticks up) and they said I have to have it sent in to be replaced. Is anyone else noticing this on theirs?? Kinda bums me out to think that my powerbook will now be in a way a referb.

2. macrumors regular

slimflem

I don't have that problem. My battery was loose and not fitting snugly, so I took it to the Apple Store where I bought it and they replaced it for me free of charge. No more problems with that.

3. macrumors G5

yg17

Sure it isn't the table? Mine wobbles on a couple of my tables and is fine on the others. Damn tables are old and warped, so thats why

4. macrumors 6502

Yes! Both my wife and I have had this problem on out iBooks. I was so bummed out when I pulled our iBooks out and they were both wobbling. I didn't think that Apple would do anything about it so I found out where they weren't touching and grabbed the on both sides (at the keyboard) and twisted. It turned out fine, although I was really worried while I was doing it. :)

5. thread starter macrumors member

I tried it on 2 different glass surfaces as well as 3 tables. all the same result. i called apple. they told me to put 2 business cards under the high corner to see if they touch (they didnt), then told me to reseat the battery, then said to rotate it and try different surfaces. Then the rep said he would transfer me to a higher authority person which eventually i was hung up on while i was waiting. and i was extremly polite during this whole ordeal. so i call again, was polite as usual, and they said they were going to send me a box to send back to them so they would fix it.... not a big fan of apple at the moment considering i just got this and a 60 gig ipod color screen :)

6. macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

How do you "reseat the battery?" I've had this problem for awhile, but the Mac Genius essentially just told me to deal with it.

Daniel

7. macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

Hahaha i got my powerbook a month ago, and i have this problem, but i never brought it up because i thought they'd bascially tell me to politely "F*** off" lol. So whats the word on this? It does really tick me off that the battery isn't flush..

Also like few ppl have said, i hate this but in my dorm, my powerbook wobbles like crazy (i keep it on a flat textbook sometimes because it gets too annoying), but at home, the powerbook doesn't wobble at all..

8. macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

I mean don't rip on apple just yet..if they say sorry outta luck, than i understand.. but not their fault..atleast they are trying to help? :confused:

9. macrumors 601

generik

Made in China Kualeety? :D

10. macrumors 6502a

My 12in powerbook has developed the same wobble :(

The local mac place has quoted me a 10day turn around to get it fixed :( I'm putting it off as I can't be without my mac for 10 days at the moment I've got too much on.

11. macrumors Core

Dagless

MINE WOBBLES TOO! I thought I was the only one! I noticed it 2 days after buying it. It wobbles on my desk. and everywhere else its been. but its temperamental; sometimes it sits there perfectly. I dont get it. right now *checks* theres no wobble. move it around my desk *checks, checks, checks* no wobble. I bet in about 6 hours there will be an obvious wobble that can only be solved by sliding a credit card under the bottom right 'foot'.

Hmm might get mine replaced. its annoying and makes the system feel broken.

12. macrumors 601

mjstew33

you guys don't know this?

PowerBooks - warp and dent easily

iBooks - scratch easily

I'd say it's a warped PowerBook... was it on your lap before it happened?

:p :rolleyes:

13. macrumors 601

generik

Does the 17" warp easier than the 15"?

14. macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

1. Nobody has told me what "reseating" the battery is.

2. Would it warp when the Book gets hot and then you have it on an uneven surface/in your lap? Would letting the computer run and get really hot under a blanket while playing a DVD or something to get it really cooking and then putting it on a flat surface and pressing it down slightly help to "warp" it back?

Daniel

15. macrumors G3

take out the battery and put it back in.

16. macrumors 68040

matticus008

Right, simple as that. "Original jurisdiction." Original. Jurisdiction. Sorry, it's an old joke from a government or law class shared with my friends from years ago. It was the rather hilarious (to us, because of the blank stares we'd incite) response to a question about a term with an obvious answer (but a high likelihood that it would be a "trick question" term, so also not-so-obvious).

Anyhow, for number 2, Getting the PowerBook to heat up will make it easier to bend, yes, but the temperature difference between normal and "hot" isn't huge in the grand scheme of things, at least for metalworking. Be careful about attempting to bend it back, since you might introduce a new wobble when you move to a different surface. It's always hard to be sure that it's the PowerBook, the table, or a combination of both. That, and you don't want to stress the metal.

17. macrumors 6502

Oh man you guys are stressing me out! :rolleyes: Mine arrives tomorrow and the first thing I'm gonna do is check for wobbling! I'll be SO BUMMED if it does. My first laptop ever - and a HUGE purchase. Damn!

18. thread starter macrumors member

well apple said they will send me a box which they are doing, they will fix the wobble and send back the same machine.

but get this... so im in class and i let a friend play around with it while i pay attention, she hands it back and the damn thing doesnt wobble anymore!! i seriously cant belive it. so if urs does.. let a friend borrow it for a little while, problem solved :D

guess i just wont send it to apple now. but in all honstly. i say before calling. use it for a week and see if it goes back to normal like mine did. im pretty happy now. no wobble, no bad pixels.

p.s. I test it on my glass desk surface as well as 3 desks and my glass tv stand. i would say glass would be the best way to test.

19. macrumors 6502

The wobble of the PB is very common, and my year and a half old PB 1.5Ghz 15" did it too. After a little use in my lap, and a smoother table (it really helps :) ) it went away. (well, I also did a little slight pressure bending, nothing big, but enough to fix the problem.)

Kimo

20. macrumors 6502

Hi,

The wobbling is definitely due to the aluminum which is pretty much a soft metal. Unfortunately the issue can return, and there isn't really a fix for it. It's a known issue with the powerbook line especially, and it's been discussed many times since the introduction of the aluminum line. It doesn't bother most people, but when combined (when I had mine) with less than stellar airport reception and battery life, and always being worried about the casing, I ended up selling my aluminum. But again, most people still are able to enjoy their powerbooks.

21. macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

DON'T TAKE THE BATTERY OUT WHEN YOU FIRST GET IT! Sorry for using caps, but I regret doing this... I just wanted to check the serial number... the battery has never fit flush with the chasis again...

Daniel

22. macrumors 6502

Hmm. My friend who bought the last generation of 15" PB had the warping problem. I just got the new 15", and I have to say that there's no issues at all. I guess I got lucky, but there's no warping, no dead pixels, just perfection!

Does anyone know if the warping/wobbling can develop over time?

23. macrumors G3

Counterfit

Anodized aluminum is generally stiffer than steel (of the same size/weight), and much more so than titanium. This problem is more due to manufacturing variances (and probably a lack of wobble checking in QC) than any problem with the material itself.
    If it's only in your dorm, I'd say you have a crappy desk there, like 90% of all college students.

24. macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

When I bought the "new, at the time" 12" powerbook, after a week or so, the battery no longer sat flush. I had 3 other friends with 12, 15s and 17s and they each had similar problems, but the 12 was bad.

The battery was "seated" by only holding itself (rectangular) on one end. So it never was flush with the bottom.

I never saw my machine "warping" but since the damn thing scratched to easily I always had it on my lap, soft, or on a piece of soft cloth on a hard surface, eliminating wobble.

I dont know what apple is going to fix for you.

25. macrumors 6502

When I brought my 1.33Ghz 12" iBook it also wobbled. I called Apple, they replaced it no questions asked really. The new one sits perfectly, I'm so happy with it.

P.S. This was even a 60gig BTO. When I told the girl on the other end she didn't even argue with me, just said it's not supposed to be like that and went in for a replacement order, she also sounded REALLY hot.