Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rschapel

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
Well I just wanted to let you all know that I received my new (to me anyways, refurb) PB 15 SD 512MB 80GB BT AE last week. This laptop is great, and the speed on the unit seems to fit me fine, and the screen... WOW, it’s awesome and inspiring. This past week my nephew was born and I traveled to the baptism (proudly being a God Parent). My Mom taped the event on a Sony-DVR 33 and we got home I promptly started importing to imovie. At that point my brother-in-law took my wife’s and my picture. I asked him if he had his usb cable, and went and grabbed it, and I plugged it and sucked down all the pictures to the laptop. He almost died, took him weeks to get it working right with his windows machine. It was a Apple commercial I tell ya. :D

I ordered a 512mb update from crucial, should arrive today or maybe tomorrow. I lucked out big time my refurb unit only had a single 512mb chip, so I’ll be doubling to 1 gig of ram :D . I am hoping this will help out with performance, which I have not been completely unhappy with, BUT… what I didn’t tell you in the first paragraph is that while it took a while to create the 3 different sequences in imovie (3 separate projects, which where SOO much fun to create) it took me FOREVER to burn the DVD :( . It seemed the process it goes through to convert the movies took a horrendous amount of time. To the point where I had to tell my sister I would have to leave and send her the DVD in the mail. It took about 1.5 hours to get the material before it entered the multiplex/burn phase. Then in that phase it takes about 30-40 minutes to burn the image to the DVD. Egads, while I truly have enjoyed making the projects I will remember to count in a large amount of time to get them to DVD. Is this normal? I am very new to this, so maybe I was doing something wrong. We are talking about 30-40 minutes of footage (tops) in 3 separate imovie projects. Also about 40 pictures in a slide show. How do I tell if my drive is burning at 1x or 2x? I bought some media (ritek 4x) and I haven’t had a bad copy yet, and some people here said that while apple only officially supports 1x on 4x media (which 2x is almost impossible to find) that it still does 2x… (this waiting time was like an intel commercial making fun of the G4 processor… they’ll forget about it through when they get the DVD :p )

Overall it’s been a pleasure, I have 2 broken pixels on my screen, I could have paid 300 – 400 dollars more for a brand new unit and still had the same screen, and if I don’t think about them I just ignore them anways… The scary thing is I can’t wait, in 2 years I’ll be getting my next apple (worked this out with the wife) and it will only be faster.

Also I noticed a a small gap between the screen and the keyboard, every time I pick up the laptop I feel like I am “squishing” the thing.. is this normal? :confused:

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
rschapel said:
Overall it’s been a pleasure, I have 2 broken pixels on my screen, I could have paid 300 – 400 dollars more for a brand new unit and still had the same screen, and if I don’t think about them I just ignore them anways...

While I know that the pixel issue was largely addressed and Apple was able to fix them if the user sent them in for repair, I have read that a quick-user fix is to simply press on the screen where they are to get them working. Please don't try this until you have researched (or someone has confirmed) because I could be off my rocker. But if it works, then it would be a great and cheap way to resurrect those dead pixels.

Congrats on your new MAC!!! :)

rschapel

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
keysersoze said:
While I know that the pixel issue was largely addressed and Apple was able to fix them if the user sent them in for repair, I have read that a quick-user fix is to simply press on the screen where they are to get them working. Please don't try this until you have researched (or someone has confirmed) because I could be off my rocker. But if it works, then it would be a great and cheap way to resurrect those dead pixels.

Congrats on your new MAC!!! :)

Eh? Can anyone else confirm this, can I get as pixel defect free screen by sending in this machine to be fixed? Will they fix a screen which has mutiple dead pixels? Did apple ever state what it's policy on these are?

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
rschapel said:
Eh? Can anyone else confirm this, can I get as pixel defect free screen by sending in this machine to be fixed? Will they fix a screen which has mutiple dead pixels? Did apple ever state what it's policy on these are?

OK:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/33205/

Here's the discussion on 'stuck' pixels. I guess rubbing dead pixels won't help. You might find this discussion worthwhile-- maybe these guys could help you with your questions. Good luck!

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Three things to try;

- Rub around the pixel itself. Be firm but don't press too hard. Massage it for some time.
- Do the same but over the pixel
- "trace" the pixel to the edges of the screen (up&down, left&right) and rub there.

Although Apple haven't publicly stated it, I believe it's around 3 dead pixels or 7 stuck pixels for a replacement.

AppleMatt

rschapel

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
AppleMatt said:
Three things to try;

- Rub around the pixel itself. Be firm but don't press too hard. Massage it for some time.
- Do the same but over the pixel
- "trace" the pixel to the edges of the screen (up&down, left&right) and rub there.

Although Apple haven't publicly stated it, I believe it's around 3 dead pixels or 7 stuck pixels for a replacement.

AppleMatt

Thanks for the info, to be honest I am not upset about the pixels, as I new this might happen, but I would still like to get it fixed if I could. I am just enjoying it. Does any one have any info on how to tell what speed my DVD is writing at?

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
congrats on the new computer. it will serve you for quite some time, and i'm sure you will love it. also glad to not see you complaining about the emacs that just came out. after all, you couldn't have taken that with you to the baptism (though some people seem not to realize that...)

claytonbench

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2002
Humboldt, KS
is there a way to create deap pixels without it being noticeable? i am asking because if you could create a few dead pixels apple would replace the whole screen. Just a thought

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
Hey Randy,

Congrats on getting the PB!!! Isn't it great? I've been playing with mine for two weeks now and it is so nice! :D The screen is great, and I'm always so impressed when it auto dims and the keys light up when it gets dark. :cool:

Unfortunately I haven't tried to burn anything yet with the DVD player, so I can't comment on that. I'd heard that the superdrive was pretty slow in the CD-R department, but the two audio CD's I made were quick enough for me.

Everything I've read about dead/stuck pixels is that it needs to be pretty bad before they'll fix it.

What kind of gap are you talking about when you close the lid? :confused:

I think it's normal for there to be a little bit of movement after you've closed the lid. Because of that I've kept the plastic keyboard cover that it came packed with (also helps keep the screen clean). One of the problems people complained about when the 15" first came out was an irregular gap, with one side sticking up higher than the other. I noticed this with one of the demos in the store.

Good luck to you and enjoy! (and remember to ignore all those neverending posts about new powerbooks next week :p )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.