Got New iMAC

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by HeyMAC, Oct 1, 2004.

1. HeyMAC macrumors newbie

HeyMAC

Hey I just received my 20 inch iMac. Its very beautiful and no fan issue,very quiet. I just orderd some ram from frys electronics (2x512). My only problem is the wires get clunky when you have various input devices (ipod,camrea,digital video camrea, printer and so on).Other then that no complaint. My question is how easy is it to switch OS's. I know we still have a wait ahead but is switching to tiger easy?

since no one has tiger, was it easy in previous installments?

2. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Yeah, it's pretty painless. One of the options is called "Archive and Install" which puts your old (Panther) system files in a "Previous Systems" folder, and puts a fresh copy of Tiger on your drive. I think within that option is a checkbox to automatically transfer over your old user folder and stuff.

3. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Congratulations on your new iMac! The transition to Tiger should be painless. Installing a new OS is very easy, and it will move all your applications and user data to the new OS for you.

4. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

You can solve some of the clutter with a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse and only hooking up your iPod/Video/Camera when you need to. Add a Airport Express and hook up your printer to it and the Airport Express will eliminate the ethernet cable to your iMac. Too bad Bluetooth and the Airport card aren't standard with the iMac.

I have an old iMac DV with 1 GB of ram and 80 GB drive and they are great machines. I bet these new iMacs will have a long useful life like the originals.