Got new memory from apple- doesnt show up`

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by imacintel, Aug 22, 2006.

1. imacintel macrumors 68000

my new apple memory doesn't show up in About this mac. I verified that I have put it in correctly.

Any thoughts?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Is this a single new stick to complement an already-existing stick? Can you swap the sticks into each others slots to verify whether it's bad RAM or a bad slot?

3. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

It is a complement to an already existing stick, and yes I have tried that.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

And you've verified that it is the RAM itself that's bad? If so, then contact Apple and have them exchange it for you.

5. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

I haven't verified that yet, it was delivered to me this morning. I don't think it's bad, its right for my computer, it hasn't caused and Kernal Panics

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I'm confused. You said you tried swapping the sticks. What were the results of that? Are the sticks the same size or not?

Look in System Profiler under Hardware --> Memory to see if both slots are recognizing the RAM. If one slot isn't seeing any RAM (which should be the case if the About This Mac window isn't showing the full complement of RAM), swap sticks and see if the slot that's not recognizing the RAM changes. If it does, the RAM is bad. If it doesn't, the slot is bad. (All of this is assuming that you seat the RAM correctly each time.)

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Well, if the RAM doesn't show up when placed in either slot it is most likely dead and needs to be replaced.

8. JBot macrumors 6502

im glad a thread opened reguarding this problem..
    im running a pbook, 1.67, stock 512 ram. i upgraded to 1.5g of ram. all works fine, when it boots up i check under system prof. and it recognizes the gig stick and the other 512 stick. After a while however, i check it again and it shows it as 512 in both slots, total ram equalling a gig.
    is the machine just lowering it cause its not in use? it doesnt make sense.

9. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

Let me rephrase this all.

My Mac is not recognizing the ram. I trade the sticks between the slots and it still doesnt work

10. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

Yey! It recoginizes it. Case closed. I dont thing I had it in enough.