Got Panther & now got BUZZING!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Skygirl, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Skygirl macrumors newbie

I installed Panther about 15 days ago. Since then I have had the following two problems on my iMac:

1. Some system sounds don't make a "boink" or "tink", they make an annoying buzzing sound. The buzzing sound will not go away without a reboot. The sound can be heard through both the external speakers and the headphones.

2. Mail will not hold one of my accounts passwords. I did the keychain repair but that did not help. I am having to type my password in every time I check mail, even though I checked the "remember passord" box.

Panther has been nothing but a pain!

Any help would be appreicated, I really don't want to uninstall my Christmas present!

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

What kind of installation did you do? I'm willing to bet that you just did an upgrade from a previous version of Mac OS X. If so then thats usually where problems start. I would back everything up and then wipe your iMac totally out and put a fresh copy of Panther on it and that should take care of your problems.

If you need help doing a clean installation just give us a ring!

3. Skygirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Ew! Sounds like a Microsoft Support Solution!:mad:

Well I'll wait a while and see if anyone else has any other ideas, otherwise I might have to do it. Yuk!

4. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

5. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

It might sound like a Micro**** solution but its the solution that will help you with not only this problem, but other problems down the road.

I don't even know why Apple includes that in there as an option. All it does is create tons of problems! Same with Microsoft...all it does with XP is create problems!

6. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

I think in the same way. Do it clean and u won´t have problems anymore. It took me 3 hours, but it was the best desicion !

Dave out.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I just installed Panther yesterday. When I opened up Safari, got an error message say that the transfer of book marks could not be completed. Is there a simple way to bring them from the OS 9 IE to Safari.

Also I currently use Entourage in OS 9. Is Mail considered to be a reliable program? When I first open up Mail will it transfer my previous E.Mail from the OS 9 Entourage to Mail?

8. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Mail is a very reliable Mail App. It has an awesome SPAM filter on it. You can also view mail as threads, it has Safari HTML rendering in it. I think its an all around awesome mail client.

As far as importing the entourage mailboxes, it should ask you when you first start it up if you want to import mailboxes from another mail client. Just click yes and point to where they are.