Got PERFECT "15

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MyPB&Me, Nov 19, 2003.

1. MyPB&Me macrumors newbie

I know the powerbook has gotten some bad reviews especially from people on this board. I'd just like to say i picked mine up this morning and it is perfect. The screen is drop dead gorgeous and no white spots. The latch is fine, there is a very small gap between the screen. All in all I am very happy I switched especially as I rip cd a 12 times while surfing the net and using ichat. Oh and by the way it came with panther installed. here are my specs..

1.25ghz
    512 ram
    combo drive
    60 gig drive

2. Prabz macrumors member

YAYYYYYY! Congrats, Bud!!!

Here's hoping that I'm just as satisfied as you, when my *precious* arrives!
    Three Questions for ya:
    1) So do you suppose Apple actually re-worked to minimize the lid-gap? Any other design difference you notice?
    2) Hope it doesn't wobble...?
    3) Howz Safari... do you hear any high-pitched sounds while browsing?

Thanks in advance and hey, Enjoy your Powerbook!
    Gosh! can't wait to receive mine, now!

Prabz

3. MyPB&Me thread starter macrumors newbie

the gap seems pretty even and intentional to me, smaller then the display model at school. No wobble and no safari noises.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You can rip a CD faster than I can, that makes no sense to me :confused:

5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Congrats! I just got my 12" PB yesterday, and it too is perfect. I was dreading a dead or stuck pixel. I was wondering, did your PB come with Panther? Mine shipped with 10.2.7, which I thought odd, because I BTO through Apple. I thought they'd include Panther this late. Doesn't really matter, as I had ordered Panther last month, and didn't need it to come with the computer. Just curious.

6. Prabz macrumors member

Revised sig:

IT. IS. TIME. . . :cool:

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I believe the gap is intentional since all the PowerBooks I've seen have them and they are perfectly even.

8. matthew24 macrumors 6502

matthew24

How, when?

When and how did you order yours? I have been waiting since 6 of Oct. (Telephone order BTO at local shop, and they are still waiting for Apple! I can wait :) )

9. m4rc macrumors 6502

I don't mean to spoil your excitement, but I too had a perfect 15" Alu PB, then about 10 days in - about 2 weeks ago now - the white spots started appearing. I have tried to ignore them, but they are getting m ore and more noticeable.

Just keep an eye on it, hopefully for you they have rectified this now and you have a newer screen type.

Marc

10. Prabz macrumors member

>>maybe you should further elaborate on your situation/system config.

To Powerbook G5:
    Yes, we know that the gap is intentional {reason: to "resist" the keys from digging into the LCD screen...:eek:blah...blah..}

But what we wanted to know is whether the gap has now been reduced in the new revisions.
    It seemz that it has... And that's a relief to know, since I, for one, would not want my Powerbook flappin' away while walking:
    ~flap~ ~flap~ ~flap~

(...its owner flappin' his big ol' mouth is quite enough, already!:D )

Prabz;)

11. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i was about to say the same thing. i don't want to spoil his excitement, but from what i understand, most people get those white spots after a little while instead of right from the beginning...

so enjoy, but keep your eyes out for them...

12. entropy1980 macrumors regular

entropy1980

Yeah mine was white spot free for 2 almost 3 weeks then bam.... white spots... I just recently bought mine 3 weeks ago too so as of 3 weeks ago they didn't have a fix... good luck with yours!

13. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Congrats on your purchase!

Mine is now perfect after 2 repairs...hopefully it stays that way. Hopefully yours does too!

14. JasonBurns macrumors newbie

Just curious as to the white spots...

I'm just an occaisional forum reader, but I do have a new, 15 inch PB, and the white spots have appeared. Is there any way to rectify that problem? Is apple willing to service it?

Thanks,
    Jason

15. entropy1980 macrumors regular

entropy1980

Re: Just curious as to the white spots...

Yes they absolutely will... sent mine in friday last week shipped out back to me today, supposedly they have finally recitfied whatever was causing the problem.

16. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I know that Apple can fix the white spots, but does anyone know exactly what causes them?

17. entropy1980 macrumors regular

entropy1980

Rumor has it that it is caused by spacers behind the screen.... but no one has been able to for sure say what it is, news coming from replacements is that they are using a different vendor for screens now.... so who knows!

18. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I've had mine for two months now without the white spots, so I am hoping I got lucky.

19. MyPB&Me thread starter macrumors newbie

For the record I can pretty much say this screen will never get white spots. I know this because no matter how hard I push the lid, the screen will not pool. Just about everyone who got spots had some pooling when presure was put on the lid.

20. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

My PowerBook 15" (3 weeks old) has no spots or issues. Also, pressing behind my screen will not induce the ripples that iBook's get. I think the problem has been rectified.

Btw, your best bet still is to go to an Apple store and pick it up. Ask them to show you the machine before you purchase it.

21. raiderz182 macrumors regular

are the white spots only comin out on the 15" models only?, or are the 12 and 17inch ones been effected too.

22. agentmouthwash macrumors regular

agentmouthwash

I ordered my 15" powebook the day they were announced. Mine was perfect then and it's still perfect. Some people tend to think that they are ALL effected, but it's not true. Infact - it's a real small minority.
    Have fun with your new book!

23. GrizzlyHippo macrumors member

mine was perfect...

I received mine in the second week of October here in the UK and it was perfect.

Then about a week ago I started to notice that the screen brightness was uneven, with the right lower corner ever so slightly darker than the left. At first this just made me think there was something wrong with my right eye, but now it is spreading to the whole right side of the screen and is getting obviously darker.

(after a net search, Mac Bidouille have an article on the brightness problem here - http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2003-11-15#1050 )

I have notified Applecare who are happy to repair/replace the screen but I will wait another couple of weeks so that the problem is REALLY noticable before sending it in.

Also, an added problem is that my reseller installed the Hitachi 7200rpm drive inside the PB (which, by the way, makes a huge performance difference over the 4200) and Applecare are refusing to accept the machine unless it is returned to factory condition incase they replace the whole thing. While I understand the policy, anyone else who has taken the PB 15 apart will understand how depressed my reseller is at having to do it twice more.

The moral of the story - never buy a first generation Apple product. I should have learnt that with my PM7500, then the very first iBooks and again I should have learnt it with the first G4 towers. Oh well, maybe I'll learn for next time!!

Grizzly

24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You have a 7200RPM drive in your PB? Your hands must be permanently red!

25. GrizzlyHippo macrumors member

Interesting fact...

The Hitachi 7200 drive runs cooler than the 4200 and 5400 that Apple offers and only uses slightly more juice.

The drive area of the PB is never hot... it's the back of the machine that bakes my legs!

Grizzly