Got (potentially) scammed on eBay--bait and switch?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by coolbreeze, Jan 24, 2003.

1. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

Oh man. My dreams of Apple ownership were rocked to the core this afternoon when the UPS guy delivered my powerbook. I won it off of eBay for $1670 shipped. Looks like I may have been a victim of a bait 'n switch. Here's what happened:

What was advertised in the auction and what I received were two TOTALLY different Powerbooks. The one advertised had MUCH higher performance specs than what I was shipped. I am so upset right now---

The seller has great feedback, and I trusted him 100%. The seller stated he was selling an 800 Mhz Powerbook with 768 MB of RAM, 40GB, yadayadayada (see below for comparisons). The deal also included a 5GB iPod (I already own a 10Gb, so this was a bonus).

After receiving and inspecting the powerbook, I am spinning with anger, because the specs are MUCH lower than what was advertised. I spoke with the seller on the telephone (just after auction end, before I received the Powerbook), and he re-iterated all the specs he advertised on eBay confidently, so I am hoping this may be a mistake. He sells a lot of computers and *hopefully* shipped the wrong one.

If not, do I have any legal recourse in getting my $$ back? His auction terms state "all sales final unless DOA." Well, it's not DOA, but TOTALLY mis-represented!!!!!!! Below is the e-mail I sent today to the seller.....What do you think of it?

***START E-MAIL***

Yes, I received the Powerbook, however I have a big problem with it. The product you sent me is in no way what you advertised. The specs of this powerbook are much older than what you sold me on eBay. Below are my initial observations:

This powerbook has:

550Mhz processor; You advertised an 800Mhz processor

512 MB of RAM; You advertised 768 MB of RAM

ATI Rage graphics; You advertised an ATI Radeon 7500 with 32MB

30 Gig HD; You advertised 40 Gig HD

100 Mhz system bus; You advertised 133 Mhz system bus

Again, as I mentioned, these are my initial observations, and I presume there are more discrepancies I missed (which I will find).

This transaction will not work. This is not what I bought from you, nor what you advertised. I sincerely hope that this was simply an oversight on your part (i.e. you shipped the incorrect item). I feel like I've been cheated, lied to, and ripped off. When we spoke on the telephone, you re-iterated the specs you had listed in your auction, even as you were booting the up the powerbook. This leads me to believe you made an honest mistake by shipping the incorrect model to me. There is no way you thought this powerbook had the specs you listed...no way....it's very obvious.

If this powerbook is in fact the one you had for sale, you severely misrepresented the specs, and that is a huge violation of eBay's selling policy and I will take action. I don't want to come across as threatening, because this may have been a mistake, but we will remedy this with the proper resolution.

I called you today and left you a voicemail on your mobile number. Please call and e-mail me so we can discuss this situation. It is very important that we straighten this out ASAP.

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Oh damn, didn't we post about the guy with like 100 Powerbooks scaming people.

Oh shiznet.

3. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 65816

I really don't think he's that guy. His feedback is flawless, selling mostly PC laptops. Not a single negative feedback (not even a neutral). That's why I am hoping this was a mistake.

I WANT MY FRIGGIN $$ BACK!!

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Got (potentially) scammed on eBay--bait and switch?

I'd consider this a big DOA, the processor isn't working as advertised the extra memory is dead, the graphics card broken, the HD has 10GB worth of dead sectors, and the machine's bus is stuck at 100MHz.

Of course it's hard to consider it on the up and up.

5. DeadlyBreakfast macrumors regular

Oh man that stinks....I really feel for ya. I've boight many things off of EBay with great success although I have to say that I have never bought anything in that price range. I hope it works out. Let us know what happens...

Attached Files:

6. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 65816

So does anyone know if I will be able to get my money back? The guy hasn't returned my e-mails or phone calls. I will file a fraud complaint on eBay and www.fraud.org if I don't hear from him.

All I want this SOB to do is buy back this snail of a powerbook. Any other suggestions on how I can get this done?

7. Ziggyzee macrumors member

Some people go away on the weekend. If he has such good feedback I doubt he is going to just screw you. You should at least give him till the end of today before you start posting negative feedback or other.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Hope you get this straightened out but for anyone else out there i would never buy something like that with out putting my hands on it or at least go through a reseller that only deals in macs new and used! To many scammers out there! Good Luck!

9. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

There are plenty of scam auctions that have great feedback. If you spend any time looking at computers on Ebay they become obvious, but I haven't figured out if the sellers are borrowing someone else's feedback profile or what. It seems like it because when I check the items in the feedback log, there are never computers there. Usually it's the feedback from a trinket dealer that probably doesn't check feedback very often anyway.

These scam auctions really swell in number right before a new product introduction or speed bump.

10. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

Also, make sure that the seller's email is not anonymous, and it's usually good to not buy from a recently changed seller ID. (indicated by sunglasses next to name)

If the seller's feedback is for auctions with a user listed in a different location than the computer auction, especially if the location of the seller is something like "Spain", don't bid, likely scam.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

File with the relevant state and federal internet fraud agencies, and don't underestime the power of the Post Office (if you can file with them).

12. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the comments. I just received an email from the seller apoligizing for the mix-up and offering me my money back. He told me Apple insists they sold him an 800mhz Powerbook and he has been on the phone arguing with them all weekend...I'm not sure what that excuse means, but he did offer a refund, nonetheless.

With that being said, I once again have roughly $1600 to spend on an Apple (yes, I'm still going to switch). What do you guys recommend I buy with that money? Portability isn't essential, rather a luxury (not ruling out an iMac). This will be a replacement for my Windows desktop, so I'm iffy on a 12" PB (but man they are sweet).

My main concerns are not having to replace it in, say 2-3 years and not staring at a spinning beachball every time I click on something;)

So, now that I'm back to the drawing board, what should I shop for that's in my price range?

Thanks.

13. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Defintely get something new. I would suggest the top of the line 12" iBook. It's fast, even though it only has the G3. What are you going to be using the machine for?

14. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i'd also recommend the ibook, i got the 700mhz with 16mg vid card and full ram, the new ones a step up so it must rock even more...but get full ram, its the best thing i ever did.

15. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the suggestions. So will a G3 run Jaguar and last for ~3 years? I seem to have heard otherwise on this board. This is going to be a desktop replacement.

16. unc32 macrumors regular

Get an imac. Don't bother with the ibook, that would only be convient if portability is essential. I think you would be disappointed with the processer 2 years from now. Unless, you upgrade no software between now and then. Otherwise, get an powerbook. Powerbook or iMac.

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

hey if portability is not the issue wait a week or 2 and get the new imac! i think its the best machine all around and if they bump the bus and cpu you will have everything you need. if you want a book i would rather have a higherspeed g3 read ibook 800 then a slower speed g4 say 667.

18. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

My 500mhz iBook is my only computer. 10.1 ran OK, but Jaguar runs very well. I have had absolutely no problems at all. Jaguar runs much faster than I ever thought it would. I only have 256mb of RAM, but I'm planning on replacing the 128mb chip I added with a 512mb chip. Just load that iBook with RAM, and jaguar will scream.

I'm a college student, and I take my iBook to class, so it takes a lot of abuse. I am constantly doing something on it. I don't plan on getting a new machine until I graduate in May of 2005, and I know I won't have to. Apple makes products that are guaranteed to last. I believe that the iBook is a very good desktop replacement.

19. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

Come up with $99 for a student ADC membership and you can get the 12" PowerBook with AirportX for $1639 delivered.

20. Foucault macrumors 6502

Foucault

Like I always say, sometimes if it's too good too be true. It' too good to be true!!!

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Hopefully you DO get the refund and the guy is legit...

22. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

all i can say is welcome to the world of ebay. this is what you get. if this guy did screw you there is probably no chance you will get your money back. sorry for your loss, i hope you get your money back.

iJon

23. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched :eek:

I wouldn't feel safe until you have the cash in hand, no matter what the guy says. I really, really hope you get your cash back, though. $1600 is a lot of money!!

I agree with the posters above, though, get the 12" PowerBook or the iBook - they're the best deals that Apple has going right now. Believe me, you don't "need" the mobility but once you have it you'll be glad. And the screen doesn't seem small (plus you can hook it up to your existing desktop's monitor). The sweetest think is to use your little iBook (or PB) wirelessly. Trust me, once you get used to it you'll be using your laptop all over the house (or outside the house).

Oh, and buy from a reseller so you get the extra memory and avoid the sales tax.

24. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

ibook vs. imac

I am currently using the original Special Edition iBook. It is only 366mhz but I maxed out the RAM at 320MB. It runs Jaguar just fine, I have to be patient with some things, but in general I'm very impressed with how well Jaguar runs on a computer that is 3 years old.

Just some info if you're still deciding between the iMac and iBook. The iBook will do mostly everything you need it to do perfectly. If you don't need the portability go with the iMac. As for whether or not it will last for 3 years, mine is just turning 3 this year, and its still working great.

25. Ziggyzee macrumors member

Do what I did...walk into a Compusa to get some cd-rw's and walk out with an iMac. I love this machine. I work from home and what makes this really cool is airport. If I want to change my scenery I pick it up and go wherever I want. Its so easy to move and I don't go stir crazy being in one part of the house for to long. And, it has been a rock since first boot.