Got the 15" PowerBook.. need help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Thussy, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Thussy macrumors member

Jul 19, 2004
    Hey everyone,

It's here, got it today morning.. drove 2 hours to Toronto to Red Tag (CPUsed Computers) who is an Apple Reseller to get an inCase sleeve/ bag.. and now i'm set for accessories for now.

This is my first Apple, and well i'm lost. I installed Messenger, but id ont' think i installed it right. I need some help getting ifnromation on basic Mac OSX commands, shortcuts, and just basic easy things... like opening up more than one window with Safari :eek:

Any websites i can go to make this process easier (you guys are great, but i need like guides so i dont' bug u guys). Right now i'm calibrating the battery... on the draining process right now.

Geez, i can't believe i can't even install programs right.
  2. Thussy thread starter macrumors member

Jul 19, 2004
    Oh what's the expected battery life on this beast?
  3. Nspace macrumors regular

Jul 13, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I jut got my 15" this morning, I love it so far. We must be pretty close, I rode my bike to Red tag last week, it is near me. Although the people working there were far from helpful.

For two windows just hit cmd (apple key) + n to launch a new window.

In think the expected battery life is 4.5 hrs, Im sure it will end up being less tho.

AI charged mine up full 100% when I got it, now what do i do, just let it run on battery and drain it?
  4. tamara6 macrumors regular

Apr 28, 2004
    For basic info on using Mac OS X you can try the built in Mac Help. Go to the finder (click on the desktop and note that it says "Finder" over near the blue apple on the left side of the menu bar). Click on "Help" in the menu bar. Choose "Mac Help" In the window that opens, click on the little house icon. You'll see several topics, and you probably want the "New to Mac OS X?" topic.

Another thing you can do, if you have a speedy internet connection, is go to the Atomic Learning web site ( They have lots of free quicktime movies - tutorial about how to use various programs or features of OS X (there is even one for Safari). They ofter even more if you sign up. You can start with this OS X Panther orientation:

As far as batter time goes, that really depends. I usually get between 2.5 and 3 hours on mine, but usually I have airport on and I'm online. If I turn airport off and just work, I get a little more. Apple has a web page about batteries ( or you can search in these fora for more info.
  5. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    You came to the right place - or at least one of them.

Why not use iChat? It it because you need to converse with PC users running Messenger? If you can convince them to run AOL Instant Messenger 5.5, you can talk to them with iChat.

Cut, copy, and paste are Control-C, Control-V, and Control-X, very similar to windows. The Control key is also known as the apple key - it's the weird one by the spacebar.

That's why we're here. You might also want to use Apple' help (mentioned above) as well as this site's search feature - mainly the one in the toolbar above next the "New Posts" and "Quick Links", not so much the "Search Site" one, although it isn't too bad either.

Well, you did start with a Microsoft program... ;)
  6. Thussy thread starter macrumors member

Jul 19, 2004
    Huzzah... so that's what that key is. Apple's version of CTRL.. even though it still has CTRL on the keybaord. Weird.

I got almost 3 hours with wifi and bt on the whole time... and active i might add.

No... I dont' live near them, i had to drive 2 hours to get there. Lol.. my buddy put down Dixie then Dundas then Dupont. So we drove into missisauga thinking it would be on that part of dundas... an hour later and close to downtown Toronto.. we found it lol. Never realized how big that street is. I'm in Guelph, Ontario.. near KW area... and i'll be in Waterloo come septermber at Laurier for school.

RedTag was okay, the service wasn't great, but it was cool looking at all the products. Why are mac games so exensive?! Tiger Woods 2003 was $55 Canadian, and at staples where i work we sell the PC version for 9.99.

The build quality, weight, and engineering is incredible on this. I didn't expefct it to be so amazing. My iPod should be here tomorrow can't wait for that.

I just found this Sherlock program, whoah, i never have to call the airport for delays and landing and departures now. I was suprised to see something of that caliber built in. I'm also romancing my gf in french using the translator lol... just because it's there so why not?

Thanks again guys! I formatted my SFF and am giving it to the parents as we speak... ha. lol. I better get Apple Care soon... laptops aren't cheap to fix.
  7. Nspace macrumors regular

Jul 13, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah I am still thinking of apple care.

Loving the powerbook thus far, got all my graphics software setup on it.

Question about the battery:

I got the pb, before turning it on, plugged in ac adapter till light turned green, so a full charge.

Now I am using the laptop on battery to drain it, and then I am going to go back to ac and do a full charge. Is this right?

My ipod for cram and jam got delayed :( Status is still open since last wed.
  8. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    ok let me help you guys a little bit.....

Yes the battery must be charge to it's fullest.....then use it without the AC and drain it to the point when it just goes to sleep mode......and theen connect and charge again....then you're set to go with the battery calibration.

Then the apple key is THE controls most of the commands........

apple + n = new window
    apple + q = quits a program
    apple + w = closes a window
    apple + s = save
    apple + o = opens a file
    apple + p = print
    apple + m = minimize
    apple + a = select all
    apple + 0 = full screen
    Apple + h = hide
    ctrl + click = right click (this is to right click if you have an apple mouse or if using the trackpad)
    apple + alt + esc = Force Quit (use this when a program freezes or if it has problems and you cannot quit with the command key)

there are just have to click a option (like file, or edit or tool...etc.) it has the command on the side)

as far as MSN..............dowload a pirated msn......called "amsn" it's GReaT!..... it and download a thing called imagemagick if you want to view a display picture......
  9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    There's a section in the general help that lists common commands along with what they're called on Windows, that should help you out quite a bit.
  10. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    These should help answer all your questions.

Here a few books which should be very helpful.

This one is very basic and I highly recommend it if you aren't too computer savvy...

These two are better for more advanced users, but will have the answers to virtually all of your questions. The authors have their own styles, so which you prefer is just a matter of personal taste...

Good luck :)
  11. beatle888 macrumors 68000

Feb 3, 2002
    Correction so no one gets confused.

"ctrl" is the control key

the "apple" key is also known as the "command" key its next to the space bar and has a picture of the apple logo and some strange looking symbol which is known as the "command" symbol.

so to

copy = command + C

cut = command + X

paste = command + v

now if you go to the top of the screen you will see menu options. For example FILE EDIT VIEW and so on. If you click on a menu you will see that all of what you want to do is pretty much accessible under one of the menu options. Just get use to the menus and soon you'll find your way around. For instance if you have Safari open and you explored to menu options for Safari you would see that under the FILE menu there is an option for NEW WINDOW. Also, to access certain menu commands from the keyboard just go to the main menu and click to view the command you want....on the right of the menu selection you will see a keyboard equivalent if there is one. For instance in Safari select the FILE menu....see the NEW WINDOW keyboard equivalent? It says "COMMAND N" (command is represented by the command symbol i talked about earlier).
  12. Nspace macrumors regular

Jul 13, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I have a question, as it is also my first day on the new mac, and just trying to configure the system the way i like it. For some reason I can't figure out how to set all folders to be displayed in column view, I know i can just click the button but it would be nice to find a feature like "Apply to all folders" like in win xp.

Really wish my wireless signal was a bit stronger, any tips on this, I am only like 20 feet from the router, line of sight too, and my signal level is already 5 ticks away from being full, is this normal?

13. beatle888 macrumors 68000

Feb 3, 2002
    unfortunately you CANT with column view...doesnt that suck? I wanted to do that before too but apparently you cant....under the view menu in the finder you can set other window preferences globally list view, icon view but not column view. On the bright side a window that was viewed last in column view will open next time in column view as well. Seems to work for me.

about the signal to your wireless....not sure if that can be helped...try to minimize any obstacles your wireless network would have to go through to get to your laptop. Twenty feet is you have a cordless phone? maybe thats interfering with it. Make sure your running the latest firmware updates...oh and also i heard on TechTV that turning off that SMP Pinging or whatever it is will actually slow down response because packets use that to transmit data. Some people turn it off because they think its more secure without it but they said it offers minimal security but reduces performance with it deselected.
  14. jMc macrumors 6502

Nov 19, 2001
    London N8, Late-16th Century
    You can select 'Open new windows in column view' in the Finder preferences (in the Finder menu).

15. Nspace macrumors regular

Jul 13, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for the tips about the wireless, I will see what I can do there.

I tried that setting but it dosnt seem to work, some of the folders still open in the dreaded thumbnail view lol. Ahh well its not that big a deal.

That iCal program is pretty nice, really simple, will be great for school, and expose is the s*** :D
  16. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2004
    London, UK
    Will somebody think of the children?

Here's a tip if you are are about to use your pbook after a long period of windows usage: stay away from coffee, take some deep breaths and don't be too quick to dispense judgement.

Let's summarize:

Apple is Command
    Alt is Option
    Freedom is Slavery
    War is Peace.
    oops, I meant Control + click = right mouse button

Now, take another deep breath, then look on the right side of your spacebar.

Yep, you're right, there's no alt on the right side.
    Now, what is this ^ thingamagoochie on your keyboard, you ask? Well, this is the ENTER key. Do not mix it up with the RETURN key which is located on top of the right shift key.

And what does the ENTER key do exactly? Well, it acts as a validation key for the numeric keypad.

And of course the numerical keypad is present on your keyboard, just make sure you keep the function key pressed while using it.

So, if you, like myself, are wondering why on earth this ^ key got there and want to remap it to something that actually serves any kind of useful purpose, do yourself a favour and install DoubleCommand, then remap it to whatever key you need. , double click the downloaded file then double click on the pkg file. Then open the apple menu / System Prefs / DoubleCommand

Now you can really enjoy closer to perfection computing experience!

Welcome aboard matey!
  17. beatle888 macrumors 68000

Feb 3, 2002
    That tip was for NEW if your in the FINDER and you go to the main menu at the top of your screen and choose FILE>NEW WINDOW you will get a window in column view. Its not meant to change the view preference for existing folders.

But like i said. if you open a folder and change it to column view it should open as column view from now on until you change it manually to something else. Good luck and have fun.