Got the Macbook, needed to get a bag.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by medea, Jun 7, 2006.

1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Don't know about anyone else here but I don't care for most notebook bags. Not only do they announce the fact that you are carrying a computer with you I'd imagine you can't use them for much else than what they are intended for. I decided to go with a messenger bag instead and opted for the Chrome Mini Metro. I've wanted one of these for a while but didn't have a good excuse to buy one until I got my new Macbook. The only problem with a bag like this is since it's not designed to hold notebooks so I had to also get a protective sleeve as well and opted for the Padded Laptop Sleeve from Chrome. Delivery is scheduled for tomorrow so I should be able to snap some pics. I know the sleeve is going to be just a tad big since it's not designed for the Macbook, if it's too loose I'll have to return it and find another option, maybe from Booq?

So, anyone else using a messenger bag or backpack instead of a notebook specific bag?

2. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

Got my bag and sleeve today! Here are some pics.

So the sleeve is just a tad big, but not enough to be a problem. I've used a Chrome before but this one is a lot smaller and I don't feel ridiculous lugging it around. Very comfortable and it's very easy to adjust the strap with the bag on. And of course I love the seat buckle enclosure. Plus it's weatherproof.

Attached Files:

3. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

few more

Attached Files:

4. joebells macrumors 6502

thanks for the pics

The name isn't in reference to dragon quest is it?

5. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Nice pics, medea. We just got our daughter a BlacBook™ for college, and are drooling over the Crumpler and Timbuk2 messenger-style bags. She'll need to at least have room for a couple of books (even though it may only ever hold the Mac and a 12 pack:rolleyes: ).
    I'll review the Chrome bags with my wife when I get home from work.

6. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

I can guarantee you that a Chrome will outlast the Crumpler. Timbuk2 does make a good bag and has points over Chrome in customization, both bags have lifetime warranties but Chrome actually does bag repair and Timbuk2 does not. You might want to take into consideration that Chrome is entirely made in the USA and Timbuk2 does outsource some bags to China.

Haha, I have no idea if the name is in reference to Dragon Quest.

7. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I've been using a backpack from MacCase for my MBP (an MB would fit less snugly... which would be better) for almost two months and have been very happy with it. It's not for carrying a ton of stuff, but I wear it to/from work every day with the MBP, sometimes one or two books (small ones), and always an AirPort Express, spare battery, a power adapter, a BT mouse, a small screen cleaner spray & cloth in a tube, my cell phone, my iPod, etc.

Perhaps I don't need all of that stuff.... :eek:

For me, it works really well, and I do also very much like the Bitolithic sleeve and pouch mentioned in my review.

Edit: after reading that review (above), I might need to get a Chrome. Excellent case, it would seem. :)

9. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

jsw:
    what do you need the airport express for?

10. iHeartTheApple macrumors 6502

iHeartTheApple

Medea, thanks for the info! :D The chrome bag looks great...and at least we know that it fits an MB with a sleeve. My question is: How much extra room is there with the MB/Sleeve combo in the Chrome bag? Enough for a few notebooks/textbooks without having to crush the MB?

I'm a student and would need to carry the lappy around with a few books every now and then, so that's a big concern of mine. Also, did u go with the right or left shoulder model? Is it really not possible to use it on both shoulders? Thanks for the info!

11. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

The sleeve is padded so it's a bit bulky, in my particular model there is room for other things but for a student I would recommend moving up to a larger model, or maybe even the backpacks which are also rad. I got the left shoulder model, and no you can't use it on your right shoulder because they have a padded part for the shoulder. I've also used a right shoulder Chrome and being dominantly right handed I think it's easier to make adjustments to the strap on the fly with the left shoulder one.

12. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

Here is a comparison of my model the Mini Metro and the next step up called the Citizen for you. The mini metro is $98, the Citizen is $104. The citizens dimensions are 22 x 11.5 x 6 (flat dimensions) with a volume of 1200 cu. in. (not based on flat dimensions) while the mini metro is 20 x 11.5 x 6 with 1000 cu in. If you went up to the Metropolis then that would be 26 x 14 x 7 with 2000 cu in. of volume for $130. Here is a pic of the Citizen.

Attached Files:

13. Sequence macrumors member

14. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

We ended up going with a MacCase sling like jsw has. We showed our daughter several backback/messenger bag options, but what she really wanted was something to carry just the laptop and a few key extras. I think she may come to regret not buying a single bag to carry laptop and books, but she's the one who will be living with it.
    We pre-ordered the Large MacBook slingcase, black w/white stripe, plus the black sleeve. $90 including shipping.

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I picked up an STM Medium Cargo, and have been very happy with it. At the moment I carry my MacBook (in the included sleeve), my power cables, a (small) external hard drive, my digital camera, all the appropriate cables, a thick sketch pad, and a couple of thin folders, as well as some pencils, headphones, and a compact Japanese tourist phrase book. I imagine during the year I'll have to remove some of the superfluous gear to better fit books, but thus far it's been very nice.

It also doesn't scream 'HERE IS MY LAPTOP!'.

[​IMG]

16. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I've been looking for a bag that style. This one looks good, it is stylish but I wish they had it in a different color. I was looking for more of a khaki color. Does the included sleeve fit well for the MB?

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The color is less green than it appears on the site. 'Oatmeal' is how they describe it...it's a very slightly greenish grey. Definitely a neutral color. The interior is an orange nylon, but it blends very well and offers a nice contrast.

The sleeve it comes with is slightly large for the MacBook, as it's designed to fit the 15.5 inch MBP. If you take the sleeve out and shake it around, the MacBook has about three quarters of an inch to an inch of space vertically and horizontally. It's more than sufficient to pad the laptop while inside the bag, and unless you shake the sleeve and drop it on the ground a lot it's probably good enough for outside use as well.

STM makes and sells seperate form-fitting sleeves that you can always use if you're worried.

18. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I saw it at my Apple store today. I found it more appealing on the computer. I do like the design, but the fabric and color is not what I'm looking for. Thanks for the description. Seemed kinda too big for my liking too. Ahh, i'm goin to keep looking.

19. ikonq macrumors member

Crumpler are my favourite brand.

*hears gun getting cocked*

Except for apple of course.....

20. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It's definitely a weekender sort of bag. If you're looking for something more intended just for a laptop and a few doodads, Crumpler's gonna be your best bet. I almost picked up one of their bags but decided against the nylon. They looked great though.

21. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Exactly what I have been looking for! Thanks!

22. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

I have the bitolithic sleeve and a timbuk2 messenger bag. Awesome combination! :D

23. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

What's wrong with Nylon? I went to the crumpler site again, and i didn't even notice that you could scroll over to other bags :rolleyes: I might get one of those.

24. medea thread starter macrumors 68030

medea

The real problem with Crumpler is they use very cheap imitation cordura called chickentex that is prone to fraying. Crumplers are not a tough bag.

25. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Nothing wrong with nylon. I just thought canvas sounded interesting. ;)

Crumpler bags are pretty, though.