got the macbook pro...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wasd, Feb 25, 2006.

1. wasd macrumors member

Wow one thing i have to say that thing is freakin FAST. I have been using windows ever since i was a kid and up until now i have decided to switch to the mac world. I havent regret it and its awesome thats all i can say. Anyways, i seem to have problem with vlc media player and quicktime. There are some files like animes and music video cant be played with these two programs. XVID files works fine but files like dvd doesnt not work(avi). For example, fullmetal alchemist_01[v2].DVD(ACC)[KAA][BB60F687].avi doesnt work on quicktime and vlc. On vlc the audio works but the video does not appear. This messages appears main: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `WMV3'.
    VLC probably does not support this sound or video format. Please, can anyone please help. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Ken

2. JHipp macrumors member

Just a guess, but WMV3 sounds like Windows Media.

I would recommend Flip4Mac, but it appears they don't have a Universal Binary out yet.

Full Metal Alchemist is a great show, I used to watch the subbed version.

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I don't think even Flip4Mac can play wmv3 files. AFAIK there is no way to play them on OS X. You may have to go back an reencode those movies/videos files in a better format, like H.264. It'll be better quality anyway.

4. JHipp macrumors member

According to their page, they can: http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_codecs.htm

Also, I did some research for you and found a way of running Flip4Mac under Rosetta(it's about halfway down) -
    http://www.flip4mac.com/fusetalk/forum/messageview.aspx?catid=26&threadid=1006&enterthread=y

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I just know that when I try, I usually get error messages... and I'm pretty sure I have the latest versions of everything. But then maybe its the wmvA files I'm thinking of... But it seems like mwv3 files have given me problems too.

6. JHipp macrumors member

Hmm, oh well - I try to avoid any WMV files. :D

7. iGary Guest

iGary

You know every time I look at the name I think of a Mac Donalds product. :(

8. andcraig macrumors regular

KAA's older files (like the one you're asking about) won't work on mac at all. I've tried basically every media player i could think of and flip4mac and all that, it just doesn't like the wmv3 codec they use.

It hurts, but the only way I could even reencode them (ffmpegx won't take them either) was to use AutoGK (auto-gordian knot) on windows to make them divx .avis. If you set the file size to 1/3 of a CD it keeps the same quality.
    You can also use Gordian Knot to reencode to x264, but the file sizes are oddly large no matter what bitrate you select.

9. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

Funny, it's McDonald's. :confused: