Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bruf

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Montreal, QC
Hi,

I've read lots of posts about finding the "perfect" backpack/bag/sleeve for a 15" MacBook Pro. I took the plunge and I bought Crumpler's King Single computer backpack. The backpack does come with a sleeve with velcros so that it stays in place while in the bag. It's removable too if you want to carry only the MBP or put it in another bag (I do use my Dickies messenger bag once in a while).

I bought it in a local computer store called Micro-Boutique (INSO), which is an official Apple reseller in Montreal. I got it for 124$ CND (~ 108$ USD), a lot cheaper than any online store I've seen so far. So my recommendation is that if you know a local store that carries Crumpler bags, go there before considering ordering online. Not only will you be able to inspect the bag by yourself but you'll save a few dozen bucks in the process.

I could post some pics on request and/or provide additional feedback on request. IMHO, it's a near perfect bag for your brand-new MacBook Pro! ;)

I've put up a couple of pics here.

Moshiiii

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
Sarasota, FL
I don't see how thats ugly. I think it looks great! Post some more pictures. If i could pick one up for $108 i surely would, especially since it comes with a sleeve. I'm gonna have to pay like 130$ for Timbuk2 Pack and a sleeve.

bruf

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Montreal, QC
w8ing4intelmacs said:
I'm glad it's functional, but it sure is ugly (esp. for $108)

I think there's two trends with laptop bags :

- People who want something that's professional/corpo/CEO looking, like a gray or black bag (i.e. Booq/Brenthaven/Marware)
- People who want something excentric, low-profile that doesn't look like a laptop bag (i.e. Crumpler/SFBags/Foof)

Personally I don't want everyone to know that I'm carrying a 2000$+ laptop with me everywhere I go. When you have a big "Targus" logo on your bag, it's not what I call "low-profile". ;)

The backpack I got does come in multiple colors combinations, so you can get an orange one if you want. I'll post pictures of my own bag, the picture in my first post is from Crumpler's website. Thanks for the input!

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
bruf said:
I've put up a couple of pics here.
Thanks for that! I've always hated how Crumpler's site doesn't show the back of the bags and closer, clearer shots of the interior.

Really nice photos.

And an awesome bag! It looks really well made. Thanks to you, I killed about an hour this morning looking for places that sell the Crumpler Salary Sacrifice (the 12" version of your backpack) for cheaper. :eek:

bruf

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Montreal, QC
devilot said:
Thanks for that! I've always hated how Crumpler's site doesn't show the back of the bags and closer, clearer shots of the interior.

Really nice photos.

And an awesome bag! It looks really well made. Thanks to you, I killed about an hour this morning looking for places that sell the Crumpler Salary Sacrifice (the 12" version of your backpack) for cheaper. :eek:

That's exactly what I thought when I saw Crumpler's website! ;) I had to see the bag with my own eyes, especially considering the steep price. But it is indeed a quality product and the removable sleeve is a great bonus. I miss my PowerBook 12" for it's small size (sold it when I got the MBP), I would have liked the Salary Sacrifice too.. :)

peanut48

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2006
salary sacrifice

hi can anyone put up pictures of salary sacrifice too please....I want to see how it would look inside and its details....Well i still haven't bought my mac waiting for the new ibook...The reason i'm finding out about the bag before hand is coz I dont live in a place where there is even a single apple store and wats worse i cant order online at the local apple website....so i've got to ask some one in USA to ship it to me...its driving me crazy...anyways i would really appreciate all the details i can get coz i wont be seeing the bag first hand till i actually get it....also if u find a good price for one can u please post it or pm me....thanx a ton...

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
In my opinion crumpler makes the best backpacks hands down. I have one for my 17" PB and it's awesome. Comfortable, carries everything I need. If you buy one you won't be disappointed. I think I've had mine for 2 1/2 years and it still looks new even though I use it every day.

Nuc

Roba

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2006
Nice bag and great clear pictures.
I bought a Crumpler bag yesterday and they can be bigger than they look. I bought the Double Charge bag which is even advertised as a 15 inch bag that can accommodate some 15 inch wide screen laptops.
This bag also comes with a sleeve.
The pictures that i have uploaded speak for themselves really.
They are not the best of pictures but they are still ok.
This bag is really spacious with plenty of space inside for other things.

The Sticky date bag which Apple recommends is even bigger which would be to big for me and i am a 5ft 6 female with a pretty small frame.

This is great bag and great for people taller than myself, it is just about manageable for me size wise although it is a bit bigger than i would have liked on me.

I was told that the Crippy duck/ Luncheon Crumpler bag is a snug fit for the MBP and this is a bit smaller than the DC bag that i bought. I may sleep on it and think about returning it for the Crippy duck bag which will be a bit smaller on me a but i don't know yet.

Last edited:

rumbletum

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2005
Wolverhampton, UK
Malcster said:
Crumpler are ace, i use a Cheesy Disco with a tucano second skin for my MBP, the cheesy disco comes with a laptop sleeve, but the tucano is much nicer and has a better fit.

Thanks for that, I ordered a Cheesy Disco last night and was wondering what skin to get for it.

42gb

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2004
Germantown, MD
I use the Timbuk2 "Detour 2.0" backpack. It's awesome. Takes 2 seconds to get my laptop out, or put it away. Has a huge compartment for books and papers. Lots of places to put lots of stuff without the bag feeling full. I couldn't ask for more. The con is that the laptop sleeve is sown in and can't be removed. I don't see it on timbuk2.com anymore, but they're still out there.

I bought this Crumpler bag last semester for my 15" and I returned it. It's great for carrying your laptop and a small book or a pair of socks, maybe a sandwich would fit. One big problem is that when you put stuff in the pockets it takes away from the inner storage of the main compartment rather than expanding outward.

Forget about lugging books around. For a student that is constantly packing and unpacking the thing all day long, it's a hassle to get your stuff out with it's secure zipper system. You basically have to unzip it completely, and then takes up a lot of floor space.

It is comfortable, stylish, and low key. I would reccommend it only for people going to and from the office, or from point A to point B.

Moshiiii

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Nice pics! I really like that look and the blue inside is cool. I can only get them off ebags or their net shop which is like 170$ shipped. So I'm going to go with a timbuk2 track day pack.

indigoflowAS

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, OH
Malcster said:
Crumpler are ace, i use a Cheesy Disco with a tucano second skin for my MBP, the cheesy disco comes with a laptop sleeve, but the tucano is much nicer and has a better fit.
About the Cheesy Disco....any in the US know where I can find such a bag? seems to be primarily in the UK. Thanks!

Roba

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2006
I sent my Double Charge Crumpler bag back yesterday and asked for the Cheesy Disco bag in its place because of the recommendations here. It is not as big as the Sticky date bag and the height of it is smaller than the Double Charge so i think that i will be fine.

I bought mine from here http://www.we-sell-crumpler.co.uk/Type.asp?TypeID=4
and they do have quite a good selection of Crumpler bags in stock.

Toeside

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2005
St. Louis, MO
That backpack is nice. I currently have a Targus backpack that's about 4 years old.

I think I've outgrown the backpack style, and now I'd like a messenger bag for my laptop. I'd love to see photos of other bags like bruf has shared.

Perhaps someone should put together a computer bag gallery. :eek:

nunzia

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2006
Arlington VA
do you recomment the Detour then?

42gb said:
I use the Timbuk2 "Detour 2.0" backpack. It's awesome. Takes 2 seconds to get my laptop out, or put it away. Has a huge compartment for books and papers. Lots of places to put lots of stuff without the bag feeling full. I couldn't ask for more. The con is that the laptop sleeve is sown in and can't be removed. I don't see it on timbuk2.com anymore, but they're still out there.

I bought this Crumpler bag last semester for my 15" and I returned it. It's great for carrying your laptop and a small book or a pair of socks, maybe a sandwich would fit. One big problem is that when you put stuff in the pockets it takes away from the inner storage of the main compartment rather than expanding outward.

Forget about lugging books around. For a student that is constantly packing and unpacking the thing all day long, it's a hassle to get your stuff out with it's secure zipper system. You basically have to unzip it completely, and then takes up a lot of floor space.

It is comfortable, stylish, and low key. I would reccommend it only for people going to and from the office, or from point A to point B.

I'm starting law school in the fall and planning on getting a MacBook... do you recommend the detour bag for that? is it difficult to manage with a lot of books? (I'm a very small female).

Bryanw3535

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
College Student?

I'm a graduate student and I wanted a bag/sleeve combination so I could have a sleeve when I needed it but put my MBP in the sleeve in the backpack when I need to go to class.

I also didn't want a massively large backpack that was cumbersome and too much space. I only need to carry: MBP, a few books, an expand-o-file, sunglasses, keys, water bottles.

This combination is good beacuse the laptop is protected and the backpack isn't overwhelmingly large. The MBP fits like the Recon was made for it.

I have found the perfect fit!

I found the North Face Recon with WaterField Designs' SleeveCase.

It's great.

North Face Recon

WaterField SleeveCase (get Size 25)

macforme

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2006
sportfolio case

Hi, I'm in montreal, and would like to purchase a sleek sleeve for my macbook pro that is soon to arrive. I've been researching, and it looks like the Sportfolio case is a good one
http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=5890-SBLK
that I can pop into my backpack or carry as is. Has anyone tried this case, or know where to get it in motnreal or canada for a reasonable price? Any other suggestions on laptop sleeves that offer a place to store a few extras?
I've also looked at some cases made just for women, but the sleeve seems to be the most versatile way to go, and it often seems unlear if the case will fit the 15.4" macbook pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.